myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Building a 12 footer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Building a 12 footer Reply with quote

After 15+ years from the last enterpirse I am getting ready to build a 12 footer with target wind range 2-8 knots.

A few questions/suggestions:

Do I need a centerboard, or can I get away with a second fin, given the limited target wind range.

If I decide for the centerboard (or dagger board) where to get one?

Because of easy drapability and cost I am tempted to use either Coremat or Cork (if I can find it in small quantities) for sandwich. Any other suggestions? I might just do top and bottom up to the mast track, no rails.

Board is going to be partially hollow, 75 x 365, big wide tail and piercing bow, no footstraps and of course SUPpable. Anything else comes to mind? What about multiple mini fins in the center to improve upwind instead of daggerboard or extra fin?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you studied the Starboard Serenity design? It's pretty killer in the lightest of winds, but it's a lot longer and much narrower. I've had one for some years now, but haven't yet invested any time in it.

Yet, I have to admit, I've invested some time into building a modern design structure to house it. At about 15', it's not your normal windsurfing board.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Have you studied the Starboard Serenity design? It's pretty killer in the lightest of winds, but it's a lot longer and much narrower. I've had one for some years now, but haven't yet invested any time in it.

Yet, I have to admit, I've invested some time into building a modern design structure to house it. At about 15', it's not your normal windsurfing board.

Yes but I am more attracted toward a smaller version of the Exocet D2, wide skiff (or Open Ocean 60/70) inspired lines with the added advantage of being paddable. Performance is not going to be a big deal, as long as it takes me out in 2-4 knots in displacement better than my Amundson 11 for winter sailing at Crissy I will be happy.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would pursue the exocet idea. you have your work cut out for you. choose an impermeable laminate for your foam skin. pvc foam is tough, strong and will not absorb water.

dagger board a must in light winds. should be retractable in case the wind comes up. serenity with its fixed center fin becomes dysfunctional if one is well away from launch if the wind surprises.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fantastic project! I would go full on Rodney with built in speakers / iphone dock, ice cooler in the hull, rod holders, maybe a retractable aluminum chair. Not cheesy Rodney, were talking a very classy Rodney.

I would build a very small rechargeable battery built into the hull with a hidden drop down prop. When the wind is marginal, kick that baby in and watch all the jaws drop at your sleek fast design! Silent, efficient and no one would know. You be laughing all day long. Battery could also warm the board to keep your feet toasty in cold water? Just laminate some of that radiant mesh in. Maybe part of the hull is clear to see the marine life below? So many fun options! Digital readouts of wind and boat speed built in the hull like on and AC72?

Here’s what you do. Laminate a small waterproof case so it’s flush with the board. This is where the iphone goes. It’s going to be the heart of the system and provide connectivity when the wind dies and your sitting in the retractable chair getting work done. It’s connected to the rechargeable hidden battery. The iphone will run the sound system, drop down the prop, kick in navigation, run the indicators, and if you need to get weather, order up a new sail or get real time sail trimming advice on iwindsurf it’s all there!

Just thinking out of the box. I want to see photos of this project.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Serenity and a Equipe II. Not at all into the SUP thing. I would be interested in a lively longboard that is more into sailing off the wind and moderate wave riding.

I could see a Longboard with two fins similar to the Serenity design. Use a mid placed Tuttle box for a larger CB fin for light air.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long parallel boxy rails for railing upwind and a dagger board might not be necessary but you would probably want one. Maybe take the dagger board and it's box from an old potentially free board. A sliding mast track would be nice, why not just get an old racing long board?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

link to the RS d2

kayak/canoe displacement hull up front. planing hull if aft section.

http://www.exocet-original.com/rs-d2-elite.php

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

open class long board race

http://www.exocet-original.com/rs380-elite.php

Sailboarder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was building it for my needs, I would consider a retractable daggerboard, maybe taken from an old board. One reason would be to simplify life if wind raises a lot.

Second reason is linked to the shallower water I sail in. I ran aground a few times with a centerfin equipped board and never liked it. It brakes real hard, much harder than when the same happens with a fin. The center fin, or fixed daggerboard, being in front of you, digs real hard in the sand or mud pushed by your moving weight. If the back fin hits the ground, it will not dig as much because the back of the board will be allowed to raise a bit, resulting in smoother braking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: