myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2015 Santa Cruz AWT
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rlemmens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: 2015 Santa Cruz AWT Reply with quote

Hey everyone, contrary to rumors, the event hasn't been cancelled yet. However, the price of permits did increase to $8000. Everyone in the AWT family is doing their best to make the event happen. A bunch of people and pro windsurfers came together for this crowdfunding campaign to create some unique experiences. Let's work together and make this always fun event happen. Thanks everyone. If you can't help by donating money, please help spread the word. Here's the link.

gofundme.com/qfnxrc
mikecole

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ruben! Every little bit helps, The AWT events are so much fun... Hope folks can help out and I hope to see lot's of new faces in Santa Cruz this year!

Mike
BTW, that was a sick ride you had in CV. If you keep that up you'll soon be kicked out of AM and put into the PRO brackets.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks Mike. I think everyone is improving pretty consistently so I think all have a tough enough time in my division. Thanks for getting a poster! See you in Santa Cruz!
loopless

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, $8000 seems a bit greedy.
It's a great event and hope it works out. It's fun for everyone no matter what level wave sailor you are.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Looplesss,
Yeah, it's a lot of money. However, with Waddell's location right on highway 1 the county requires traffic enforcement, peace officers and rangers. It's also in the beginning of June this year, so I imagine the highway will be even busier than usual. On a positive note, hopefully this will keep the safety record of the AWT intact!
You're right though it's a great event for all ages and experience levels. It's good to be a part of and windsurfers are always there to help whether it's your first time in the waves or an expert. If anyone plans on going but haven't paid your entry fees yet, they go a long way in making the contest happen. Here's a link.
http://wavebashhome.weebly.com
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlemmens wrote:
Hey Looplesss,
Yeah, it's a lot of money. However, with Waddell's location right on highway 1 the county requires traffic enforcement, peace officers and rangers. It's also in the beginning of June this year, so I imagine the highway will be even busier than usual. On a positive note, hopefully this will keep the safety record of the AWT intact!

I sailed in the event 2 years ago, and the only "official" presence I remember was a lifeguard with a jet-ski. Plus some porta-potties ( more importantly!).

Anyway, I've signed up for this year in the hope it goes off.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absurd that Santa Cruz county is gouging like this, perhaps next year they could move just a bit further north into San Mateo county, I'll bet they would be more amenable.
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the $8,000.00 seems a high price and I was a bit shocked by the #, but as for the lifeguards being considered less important than the latrines, be aware, a windsurfer was rescued by a rescue swimmer at one event a couple of years ago. During a break a lot of windsurfers went out downwind of the immediate contest area at the south end of the parking lot. A strong rip was flowing and a guy had his sail blown out. For whatever reason, he kept trying to swim against the rip. Would make some headway, tire, and flow back out to sea. She donned her wetsuit over her red bathing suit and swam out and got him, got him out of the rip and back to shore. Gear and all. Did not bother with the jetski.

I think she earned her money that day.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just doing her job, that's all.
loopless

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this litigious world a lifeguard is probably required as a CYA by the county and not a bad idea anyway. At the last Carlos contest a jet ski did a lot of rescues ( unfortunately not me) one day as light wind and some overhead++ sets were washing people up in the bowl. It was not so much a rescue as a way of keeping the contest moving so people did not miss their heats flopping around trying to get a waterstart. That does need a jet ski operator familiar with windsurfer with gear pickup protocols.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: