myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking like decent SW wind tomorrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 12:40 pm    Post subject: Looking like decent SW wind tomorrow Reply with quote

Who is in?
I have two demo Ianovated wetsuits from Wind-NC if anyone wants to give them a try I will bring them with me. I might go to Forest Beach in Chatham in the afternoon.
http://shop.wind-nc.com/collections/frontpage/products/smooth-skin-wetsuit-with-tubes-and-mittens

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love the Ianovated suit - water temperatures are still below 32ºF, and tomorrow's high is predicted to be 31. That's pushing the limits, unless you're used to playing in these conditions.
pete1111

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wimp

boardsurfr wrote:
As much as I love the Ianovated suit - water temperatures are still below 32ºF, and tomorrow's high is predicted to be 31. That's pushing the limits, unless you're used to playing in these conditions.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete, call me a wimp all day long. Only gives me motivation to kick your ass at the next ECWF Smile. I must admit that 6 weeks sailing in warm weather has reduced my motivation to go out in sub-freezing temperatures.

But the point of my response was not that I won't sail today; it was concern that someone who has not been on the local waters recently would go out with Jerry, try the suit, and find it to cold. I have sailed with the Ianovated suit in slush conditions, so I know it can be done (and fun). With much of the water around Cape Cod frozen in the past weeks, though, I doubt that anyone other than Jerry has been out on the water recently. But cold weather windsurfing requires a bit of getting used to. Case in point: Nina, who often sails on Cape Cod when temps are in the 30s, got really cold on a 43 degree day in Texas, after she had gotten used to the 60-70 degree sailing the weeks before.
pete1111

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
Pete, call me a wimp all day long. Only gives me motivation to kick your ass at the next ECWF Smile.

good luck with that Very Happy
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NW in the 20s and sunny tomorrow. There may be some icebergs on the bay side, and Skaket does not look sailable yet, but Barnstable Harbor looks good. Anyone up for a flat water session tomorrow afternoon?

BarnstableHarbor.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  269.22 KB
 Viewed:  11143 Time(s)

BarnstableHarbor.jpg

outcast

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, be careful!
There's a lot of stuff in the harbor right now.
While your picture looks good, I know what's on sandy neck etc.

There's a lot of dead-head lumber/timber flushing around below the surface, and still plenty ice which you may not see until too late.

The ice flows seem worse on outgoing tide...looked bad last nite around 5:30....In other words if you can, sail on the incoming

That having been said, I will see you there soon, but am probably headed to the ocean tomorrow pm

boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Between Dan talking about icebergs and outcast's warning, a person could get scared. Isn't it bad enough that it's 40 degrees colder than in Texas?

Maybe it's because Pete called me a wimp, but I went out, anyway. Used the 18 cm MUF Delta fin; with a 55 degree angle, it will run over just about anything in the water, with barely a bump felt. Tested that many times with the reef island in Duxbury Bay in the fall.

Turns out that was not necessary. I did not hit or see anything in the water during my session. But the marsh islands on the west side of the bay still had a lot of ice on them, visible in the picture. I guess high tide will float some of that ice and pull it out to sea. Not an issue with an incoming tide, though. I had a blast - nice to be out on local waters again Smile.

Jibe2.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  201.14 KB
 Viewed:  11019 Time(s)

Jibe2.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: