myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is Maui dead as windsurfing vacation destination?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daKine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pacific high is supposed to look like this for good wind on the north shore.

Here is a link to the current conditions.
It's a mess

[/url]
quigley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakine,
Well your right about the weight. I only am about 135 lbs. The " alternate universe " is sailing north east of Kanaha along the Stable Rd beaches. Wind always is 5 to 10 mph stronger then Kannaha.
daKine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quigley wrote:
dakine,
Well your right about the weight. I only am about 135 lbs. The " alternate universe " is sailing north east of Kanaha along the Stable Rd beaches. Wind always is 5 to 10 mph stronger then Kannaha.

I used to sail Sprecks all the time . Now, the launch is so bad it gets dangerous with logs rolling in the water etc. The real problem though is that everytime I went there to sail there were some mokes hanging around that I was sure would rip my car the minute I was out of sight. Bad vibes at what used to be the best intermediate sailing spot on Maui. Ah, for the glory days when it was littered with topless Italian girls.
trburl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the reports of dying wind due to the NE cant, not as N. I also read about all the conflict at Kanaha. I went for Halloween anyway.

It was my umpteenth trip this late October and I had the best wind ever since 2000. Maybe I just got lucky, but it was great sailing from Hookipa to Lowers and nary a kite conflict. 10 days, 7 were awesome, all 10 sailable with my 5.3 and 85 liter quad at 180 lbs.

Don't believe the hype. Just go and trust Maui. Worked out great for me.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trburl wrote:
all 10 sailable with my 5.3 and 85 liter quad at 180 lbs.
Don't believe the hype. Just go and trust Maui. Worked out great for me.

A quick glance at the 2014 Kanaha Iwindsurf sensor for October & November archive shows plenty of breezy days, but other than 3 or 4 of them every 180 lb person I have ever met would be on much bigger gear than 5.3/85 liter.

With all these mixed reports, it is hard to tell where the hype is coming from.

Coachg
katiedog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh......late 80's to 90's at Sprecks. (sigh)
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winter in Maui is hit and miss for wind. This year I did not sail for 2 months between January and March, but last year January was very good wave sailing. But a lot of us just go SUP surfing when there is no wind. SUP surfing is great and I really don't care which one I do at this point. This time of year you can get a SUP session in the early morning and then a windsurfing session in the afternoon.

Spring is of course the best for waves and wind. The last two days the trade winds kicked back in and there has been a good north swell running. It has been very good wave sailing. It will stay this way into May when the north swells quit. Then it is back to SUP surfing on the south side.

Trade winds will keep blowing through October, maybe some in November. North swell will start to reappear in September, so fall is good wave sailing also. This last November had some really good days as a I recall.

So, yeah, there is still wind and waves here on Maui. But if you are one-dimensional and only windsurf, winter would not be the time to come here.
daKine

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some folks are a bit skeptical about how climate change has affected the trade winds.
My attraction to Maui has always been a chance to sail small gear frequently in summer conditions.
SUP surfing just ain't gonna scratch that itch.
I sure hope the summer season this year is like the old days but then a whole lot of people hope the drought in California goes away too.
They are linked, you know.
trey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Maui Reply with quote

I've gone every August for 31 years and the only times I didn't get wind was when a hurricane interrupted the trades. And then it only was three days or less. You won't get big waves but you still get good side-shore conditions upwind of Sprecks and good on-shore conditions at Camp One. Oops! Did I say Camp One! no winsrf dere brudda.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daKine wrote:
I think some folks are a bit skeptical about how climate change has affected the trade winds.
My attraction to Maui has always been a chance to sail small gear frequently in summer conditions.
SUP surfing just ain't gonna scratch that itch.
I sure hope the summer season this year is like the old days but then a whole lot of people hope the drought in California goes away too.
They are linked, you know.

Most of the people who live and windsurf here are attracted to the waves more than the wind. Best wave sailing is when the wind is light, at least by gorge standards. I rarely use a 5.2 in the gorge, but here it is my most used sail. Anything smaller and it is all chopped out. And when there is no wind, nothing better than a glassy winter day at Kanaha with overhead or bigger waves to SUP surf on. It is the same down-the-line experience, just no boom to hang on to.

As to climate change - it is affecting the trades here. I saw a study done of historical wind trends and there are less trade-wind days (but not by a lot) than there were 50 years ago. But the real problem here is going to be rising sea levels.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: