myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lets follow the money.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 45, 46, 47  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, I believe the users should carry the extra burden they add to the mix. The 300-pound guy who carries six bags should pay extra for two seats and the extra weight and bulk of his luggage. People who drink to excess or smoke should pay a sin tax because of the extra burden they place on society. I should pay extra for the wear and tear my Winnebago incurs on the roadway (and I do, in the form of the nation's highest gasoline taxes on my 7 mpg rig). If I want to attend Harvard, the extra (hell, the WHOLE) cost should be mine to bear, not the taxpayers'. Preexisting medical conditions (such as mine) should trigger commensurate extra premiums and/or coverage exclusions (otherwise it's unearned welfare, not insurance). My VA health care coverage is means tested and limited, as it should be. And when I want 6 toppings on my pizza or in my omelet, the extra ingredients should cost ME, not the basic price everyone else pays for 2 or 3 ingredients. Buffets should, as some do, charge me by the pound, not a flat rate (one DID switch from flat rate to charging by the item after I went through). The list is boundless.

As long as the government stays the hell out of it, competition can reign in any "overcharging" airline -- or butcher or baker or candlestick maker or HOSPITAL (we can save up to 90% by price-shopping for our colonoscopy or heart transplant or by paying cash rather than a fat copay). The problem right now with the airlines is that competition is limited by consolidations, fuel costs are down by 2/3, and demand is through the roof.

From the NYT:
"Rick Seaney, co-founder of FareCompare.com, says airfares have been essentially stable for the last two years except on some routes where airlines have faced competition from low-cost carriers like Spirit Airlines.

Analysts say there is little mystery why. A decade of consolidation has reduced the number of airlines competing in many markets, making it easier for dominant carriers to charge more for flights. At Newark Liberty International Airport, for example — where United, which merged with Continental Airlines in 2010, accounts for 70 percent of flights — airfares are the highest among the nation’s top airports, according to government figures.

At the same time, demand is rising, meaning flights are full and airlines have few incentives to discount fares.

“This is like a perfect storm for the airlines right now, and it could keep going on for the next year,” Mr. Seaney said. “Giving free peanuts and chips is a way to address the issue that consumers think the airlines have been nickel-and-diming them.”

For now, airline executives have been clear about their priorities: to show improvements in their financial performance."
----------------
It's still cheaper (and 6 days quicker) for me to fly -- even if I go first class -- than to drive to the other side of the U.S. OTOH, I get FAR better food driving. [I ordered a diabetic meal (hoping to keep up my almost-no-net carbs eating style) on my last flight. It consisted of five servings of sugar (muffin, coffee cake, fruit, granola, milk); I rejected it.]
mac

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 20 wealthiest Americans--with wealth ranging from $23.4 to $76 billion each--now control more wealth than the lower income 50% of Americans. And in the post Citizens United world they contribute most of the campaign funds. You bozos think that any Republican will do something about this. Delusion.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/the-new-gilded-age-close-to-half-of-all-super-pac-money-comes-from-50-donors/2016/04/15/63dc363c-01b4-11e6-9d36-33d198ea26c5_story.html?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_evening

Quote:
“We’re going to save firepower for whoever the Republican nominee is,” said Dallas investor Doug Deason, whose father, billionaire technology entrepreneur Darwin Deason, is currently financing super PACs supporting Sen. Ted Cruz.

Maurice “Hank” Greenberg, the former head of insurance giant AIG, gave $15 million to super PACs backing Jeb Bush and Marco Rubio before they dropped out of the GOP presidential race.

Among the most prolific is New York-based financier Roger Hertog, who backed super PACs aligned with most of the GOP presidential field. He doled out $510,000 to groups supporting Rubio, former New York governor George Pataki, then-Gov. Bobby Jindal of Louisiana, Sen. Lindsey O. Graham of South Carolina, former Florida governor Jeb Bush and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, among others.

Russian-born investor Leonard Blavatnik, who owns Warner Music Group, gave $3.35 million through his company Access Industries to four super PACs, including those supporting Gov. Scott Walker of Wisconsin, Graham and Rubio.

Al Hoffman Jr., a Florida developer and former ambassador to Portugal, said that the $1 million he gave to Right to Rise “was worth every dollar,” adding that Bush “advocated ideas and policy, and he stuck to his guns.

Some of the biggest givers are return players from previous elections, such as conservative hedge fund manager Robert Mercer, who has shelled out $14.6 million so far this cycle, largely to a super PAC backing Cruz. Liberal investor George Soros has given $8 million to support groups allied with Clinton and the Democrats.

Note Bush had about 100 million already
Quote:

The biggest overall contributor to super PACs so far is San Francisco environmentalist and former hedge fund manager Tom Steyer, who has put $17 million into a super PAC he formed to support candidates committed to reducing climate change. He said last month that he plans to surpass the $70 million he plowed into the group to support Democrats during in the 2014 elections.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
The 20 wealthiest Americans--with wealth ranging from $23.4 to $76 billion each--now control more wealth than the lower income 50% of Americans. And in the post Citizens United world they contribute most of the campaign funds. You bozos think that any Republican will do something about this. Delusion.

I say take their money. Most of them are liberals.
real-human

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
mac wrote:

I say take their money. Most of them are liberals.

you are about the most stupid person to ever crawl on the earth on several fronts. Show me where in this thread it shows the largest contributors to political campaigns are democrats. You are so stupid to even make such a statement. Did you ever get past high school math/logic?

I will bet you assets worth well over a million you are wrong here. make my day... or cut and run or as I say cut and continue lying.

seems to me you are bearing false witness here, please cut and run like you usually do. You can never back up your big lies. Did you take lessons from the Nazis? Trump? is that just ingrained in right wing religious waco finatics?

mac

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if the facts are available, make up some to fit your fantasy world:

Malibu Bard claims about big donors:

Quote:
Most of them are liberals

Facts, though the wealthy try to hide them: http://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/superpacs.php

http://www.opensecrets.org/pres16/outsidegroups.php
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 wealthiest was the comment. Zuckerberg, Buffett, Gates, the l I st goes on.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
20 wealthiest was the comment. Zuckerberg, Buffett, Gates, the list goes on.

Can you believe some of Zuckerberg's employees are demanding that he use -- aka ABuse -- the power of Facebook to stop Trump? One more indication that the GD left has zero interest in honesty, free speech for anyone but liberals, one man one vote, the general concept of democracy, or legitimate elections. Instead it's just anything goes if it helps the liberal agenda.

How many protests are we seeing from the Left about Buffett's overall earned income tax rate of 0.06%? The only candidate I see promising to do something about that is Trump, with Cruz's flat tax a close second.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention George Soros. He's in the top 20.
real-human

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
I forgot to mention George Soros. He's in the top 20.

gates and Buffet do not contribute to politics in big money that I have ever seen.... I do not think either are liberals, independents yes.. Can you prove they are huge contributors to liberal candidates. even in the top 1000 for contributing to liberal politicians.

I thought not. cut and run you coward...

Now people who are politically partisan donors in the US after that is absolutely partisan right wingers, http://www.forbes.com/forbes-400/#/version:static
Larry Elison, #3, Jeff Bezos, #4, Charles Kock, number 5, david Kock number 5, Bloomberg #8, Waltons, #9, 12, 13,14, Larry page #10, Sheldon adelson #15, Phil Knight #17, the mars family #18, 19, 20.

And on the liberal side of the top 20 that are major donors is George Sorros and that is it. I have not seen money zuckerberg or Sergy Bin ever put in to a dem in quantity. Feel free to show me where they have.

now lets look at right wing lobbying.... what liberal owns these?
http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/top.php?indexType=s&showYear=2015
US chamber of commerce number one per year, 80 million dollars by themselves per year.

Note below is per year influence.

US Chamber of Commerce $84,730,000
National Assn of Realtors $37,788,407
Blue Cross/Blue Shield $23,292,049
American Medical Assn $21,930,000
Boeing Co $21,921,000
General Electric $20,920,000
American Hospital Assn $20,687,935
Business Roundtable $19,250,000
Pharmaceutical Rsrch & Mfrs of America $18,920,000
National Assn of Broadcasters $17,360,000
National Assn of Manufacturers $16,950,000
Alphabet Inc $16,660,000
AT&T Inc $16,370,000
Comcast Corp $15,680,000
CVS Health $15,230,000
National Cable & Telecommunications Assn $14,120,000
Lockheed Martin $13,794,053
Southern Co $12,860,000
American Bankers Assn $12,690,000
FedEx Corp $12,405,835

Again Koch brothers say they will be spending what was it a billion this election cycle? Sheldon adelson about 100 million or so.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/afontevecchia/2015/10/02/the-koch-brothers-paradox-dark-money-superpacs-and-the-forbes-400/#5a9bdef81a72

Quote:
Data from the non-partisan Center for Responsive Politics’ (which runs the Open Secrets website) shows that at least 53%, or 213 billionaires from the The Forbes 400 made political donations this cycle.

hey right wingers who claim they are the victims... please show me, you delusional pieces victimhood...

hahahaha you are delusional victims. gee how could you be that stupid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 45, 46, 47  Next
Page 19 of 47

Jump to: