myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kona Carb One or AHD Tactik?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject: Kona Carb One or AHD Tactik? Reply with quote

I am thinking of picking up a long board to do some up and down the shoreline sailing on Lake Erie in 10 - 15 knots.

Anyone have any experience with both of these boards?
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I don't have any personal experience with either of these boards, the thing that stands out between the boards is strap or strapless. Yet, as you point out, you'll be sailing Lake Erie. Probably different than ocean conditions. I like the AHD Tactik for design concept and ultimate light wind performance. I think that Exocet is following that path too with a longer design, but I have to wonder how quickly and easily they handle jibes in rougher water or cross swell conditions. The Kona Carb One seems to be much more allround in performance, and arguably proven with its Kona One design roots.

Certainly, both will cost better than 3K here in the US. For me the decision would come down to the issue of footstraps. Yet, you can always add footstraps later knowing exactly where you need them. Still though, I'm thinking that the Kona would come out on top when it comes to maneuverability and rougher water. Tough choice.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straps or no-strap is important, and the answer lies with your specific conditions.

I own a Kona One. From 0-10 kts, my bet is the Tactik will be faster, and maybe more fun since the rocker seems flatter.

In 10-15 kts, the Kona might be more fun because of the step tail. This is my zone of on-plane, off-plane, on-plane... With the step tail, you don't need to walk back as much on the board when you get on plane. So it's less hassle for fluctuating conditions. Also, when on plane, the board behaves a bit like a 130l. It's nimbler than it's volume suggests.

In my conditions, 15 kts means there will be sustained gusts at more than 20 kts. Being out of the straps is then close to dangerous. If you are looking for safety since you'll be roaming shorelines, maybe the Kona is a better bet. The wind limit for racing is 28 kts, so the board can handle more than your expected conditions.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have mentioned that my other boards are a Starboard Formula 155 (2001 vintage) and a Firemove V2 122 (might be looking at the Firemove 112). So, the longboard would probably not see very rough water, only chop generated by upwards of 15 knots.

Sails would be Neil Pryde V8 8.5, or Lion 8.5 if I upgrade, and a Ezzy Zephyr 7.5 - maybe if I am lazy. Most likely the longboard will be used with an 8.5.
pete1111

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a little more money you could get a real raceboard like the the *board Phantom,
http://www.isthmussailboards.com/2014-Starboard-Phantom-Race/productinfo/SB14PHR/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comes down to planing vs non planing and that depends upon your weight and other factors. I think the Kona could handle up to 20 knots no problem but sub planing the Tactic would probably be faster and more fun.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's one at $2749 CDN

http://www.windspirit-direct.com/windsurfing/boards/Starboard_2014_Phantom_Race_377.cfm

with current US$ rates that's about $2200 US only !!!
maybe NO tax if from out of town
but board is here in Montreal
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have sailed the carbone. it is everything a kona sailor could ever dream for. better daggger, gasket, hull weight. a truly remarkable upgrade.

here's an even trippier upgrade for slightly less than the phantom. no pain in the butt about sneaking it across the border either.

http://www.progressivesports.com/I-61739-Exocet-380-Elite-295.php

here's another light wind machine

http://www.progressivesports.com/I-112659-Exocet-RS-D2-Elite-428.php

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John:

Have you tried the 380 or the R2D2 - sorry RS D2 ??
good price on the 380 !!!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have not. steve g. has and says it is superb. we share the good, bad and ugly on everything we try. steve's perspective is, "what's good for the consumer is good for the industry." so, he does not exaggerate at all.

i have used several of the 1990's long board race boards, equipes, mega cats, etc. steve says the 380 is like those, but a bit lighter yet....

i don't know anyone that's spent lots of time on the RS D2. seen a video of it with patrice on it. the lens always cuts about 10 mph off the texture of the water.... still, it looks amazing on the video.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: