myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
AHD AFS-1 foil board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mthompson156

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:21 am    Post subject: AHD AFS-1 foil board Reply with quote

Has anyone tried this board (or even seen it in action) aside from the few videos kicking around out there? They are claiming it foils in 4 knots with a 7.0. While I don't necessarily doubt this, I am wondering if foiling in super-light winds like that is fun in a comparable way to planing on slalom in, say, 15 knots is. I'm sure it's not as exciting, but is it fun enough that it wouldn't get boring like gliding/slogging on a longboard in flat water would? I'd love to try this board out, but it costs an absolute pile of money, so would prefer to hear from someone else who has tried it first.

Right now the kite foils are out there bombing around in ridiculously low winds (seems like practically zero) while we sit and hope for more wind. The more days this happens the more unacceptable it becomes to me. I've heard people explain why foil windsurfing can never be as fast/high-performance as kite foiling, but I am more interested, for now, in just being able to plane as early as they are...assuming planing on a foil board is comparable to slalom planing.

So basically...is this board any fun or not?
Arrgh

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one guy's take: http://jeppessurfnotes.blogspot.com/2013/01/normal-0-21-false-false-false-sv-ja-x.html
LUCARO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can just put a foil on the bottom of a standard windsurfer too.

I think www.f4fins.com are planning on producing a windsurf specific foil for $2500~
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swing over to Berkeley.
At least 3 guys and one girl on those foil boards, seemingly using sails the same size as efficient slalom sailors, in the same winds.
Ask them if it's fun.
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: AHD AFS-1 foil board Reply with quote

I am not so sure that Hydrofoils have such an advantage in light winds. The main advantage I see is in racing situations with a better upwind angle.

Right now kiters are using up to 20 square meters sail, and because of that (dah ...) they might be able to keep going in situations where a windsurf with a 9-10 square meters sail cannot brake into a plane.

But hydrofoils can also be VERY slow. I was just at La Ventana recently and I was quite perplexed by the lack of speed of the hydrofoils. Out with a Naish bullet 95 and a 7.0 it looked like they were standing still.

It depends on the foil used of course, and rumor is that Starboard is trying to develop a hydrofoil that has both low and high end, I would wait for that ... but a longboard might be a better bet for now!
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the need for big kites in super light winds.
In Puerto Rico, where 2 years ago I reported that kite foils go upwind and downwind seemingly much quicker than Formula, the trend is towards foil kites, besides foil boards. Foil kites, as small as 7 meters, can fully power up a foil kiteboard for upwind and downwind sailing in as little as 12 mph winds, and foil kites can fly very well in 6 mph breezes. No need for big kites in sub 14 mph winds at all, the switch to foil kites alleviates that need.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching several videos of foiling windsurfers and comparing their setup to foiling kites, it's pretty clear that the kites address lift to drag differently.

Kites offer a far stronger, upward lift component than windsurfers. In fact, what little upward lift exists coming from a sail is counteracted by downward pressure through the mast foot. If a windsurfer used the same sail on a foil board as would be used on a regular board (say, 8.0 cam racing sail in 15-20) the foil's required lift would generate a lot of drag as would the sail. Using a sail just powerful enough to get on the foil would reduce both hydrodynamic and aerodynamic drag.

I suspect also that kite boards center downward pressure between the legs which creates stability. The videos of windsurfers show the sails rather upright, suggesting further that a sail intended to be swept back while sailing would feel too powerful, and that smaller sails are used as a result.

Could the use of smaller sails not really designed for upright use be the reason speeds are slower than the kites?

Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the reason for this:

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.02 KB
 Viewed:  20546 Time(s)

image.jpg

westender

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windance had two different Kiteboard foils for sale and neither appeared to be a high speed design. Looked more like "safety" foils.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems that windsurfing and kiting enthusiasts are taking a totally different approach to hydrofoils. While kiters seem to be focusing on racing, as is true for foil based dingy racing, there is no evidence of racing in the windsurfing world using foils. In windsurfing it remain a bit of a quirky outlet in the sport.

After watching some local kiters using hydrofoils, it looks pretty boring to me, and free of any real physical excitement. Windsurfing hydrofoils, from what I've seen in videos, appear much the same, but seemingly more technical in practice. I guess that it's with racing, and the challenges it brings to the front, that gives kiting hydrofoils a growing interest and focus. Very high tech too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: