myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella report
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When that picture was taken the lake elevation was 2530.30, as of this morning it's 2530.56. So about 2" higher than that picture.

Here's the kicker though. Last year the lake was already dropping and the snowpack was only 10% of normal. As of this morning the lake is rising (about 3" a day) and the snowpack is about 75% normal. Not a drought buster year, but much better than the last two years. I'll save you the math, but by my very rudimentary calculations the elevation will peak around 2555, which is quite good. Of course, there are a million variables which can affect that.

I'd say it will be very good sailing from mid-April until about the end of June.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then there is the damn dam refurb scheduled for 2017 where they will only let the water level go so high.
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have not quite reached the 2015 high water mark - just a few more inches to go, Brian!
Everybody: I was going to post situation report and prognostications after this past weekend's series of storms, but those fizzled in our parts. However, more medium-sized ones appear on the way for later this week, so I am going to hold off just a few more days
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:
And then there is the damn dam refurb scheduled for 2017 where they will only let the water level go so high.

and this is one of those statements that keep folks away unnecessarily! yes, there is a water limit during construction. Its the same as what has been in place ever since they deemed our dams at risk. It is at 2585ft elevation, i.e. 20ft below crest, or a whopping 55ft above where we are today.
What a magnificent lake we have at 2585ft elevation!!
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:
When that picture was taken the lake elevation was 2530.30, as of this morning it's 2530.56. So about 2" higher than that picture.
As of this morning the lake is rising (about 3" a day) and the snowpack is about 75% normal. Not a drought buster year, but much better than the last two years. I'll save you the math, but by my very rudimentary calculations the elevation will peak around 2555, which is quite good. Of course, there are a million variables which can affect that.

I'd say it will be very good sailing from mid-April until about the end of June.

the problem with trying to estimate how much of this year's snow bonanza will be retained in our lake is that we are up against the water allocation to the SCE power plant at the mouth of the canyon. They are entitled to the first 412cfs coming in at Kernville - but have thankfully only taken about 325 recently. As long as there are no dramatic weather events, and snow run-off comes in with only modest flows, a very high percentage will be let straight out to the power plant - this is what happened these past couple of years, where we frittered away what little we had stashed in the mountains. What we need are huge downpours, or impressive hot spells, to bring down 1000s of cfs - then we could hang on to a much larger percentage
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superkraut wrote:
jpbassman wrote:

and this is one of those statements that keep folks away unnecessarily! yes, there is a water limit during construction. Its the same as what has been in place ever since they deemed our dams at risk. It is at 2585ft elevation, i.e. 20ft below crest, or a whopping 55ft above where we are today.
What a magnificent lake we have at 2585ft elevation!!

Awesome! One less thing to worry about.

Are there any Isabella sailors living in Tehachapi?
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:

Are there any Isabella sailors living in Tehachapi?

yes, Gorm, the Dane, who is the only windsurfer currently to keep me company (pic taken last Friday - what a fab sesh we had!!))

Gorm-grin.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  138.35 KB
 Viewed:  10047 Time(s)

Gorm-grin.JPG

jp5

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last time I sailed Isabella in March there were patches of snow on the ground and my feet froze, even with booties. It looks much warmer than that in your picture!
superkraut

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was - your Tehachapi weather will be a pretty good guide for what we have here Wink
(I am in a 3/2 suit with 2mm booties, have in the depth of winter added Sealskin socks and beany, but been comfy without recently)
btw, I'll pm you Gorm's email addy in a sec
Goodwind

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sierracamnetwork.com/viewcams/lake-isabella/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: