myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
adhesive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lenthomas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:54 am    Post subject: adhesive Reply with quote

I just finished sanding down my epoxy stick repair patch. I am going to put on a full deck pad. The pad will cover over the repair. Before I do that is there something I should put over the patch area to ensure water tight
before gluing the pad? (4200 or similar ? ) Also, is there an adhesive recommended to install the deck pad with? Thank you soo much, Len

ding repair.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.89 KB
 Viewed:  7810 Time(s)

ding repair.jpg

cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: adhesive Reply with quote

From the other thread, I like Barge Cement for putting down deck pads,
but I really just prefer to order the pads with a sticky back, saves time and mess. You can order almost anything you could want from North Shore Inc http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=4.

With regard to sealing, if you have doubts about your work, you should probably lay in some glass and epoxy. Paint can help to seal up micro holes, and I would paint the area to help with sealing, but it's not a
cure for poor repairs. From the picture, your repair looks fine.

Good luck Len,

-Craig

lenthomas wrote:
I just finished sanding down my epoxy stick repair patch. I am going to put on a full deck pad. The pad will cover over the repair. Before I do that is there something I should put over the patch area to ensure water tight
before gluing the pad? (4200 or similar ? ) Also, is there an adhesive recommended to install the deck pad with? Thank you soo much, Len
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you step on that area with any frequency?

if you do, you may wish to apply a fiberglass lamination over the area.. if not then glue away.

refer to
www.boardlady.com

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ensure a structurally sound surface, particularly under a pad, I'm with others here that laminating a couple layers of fiberglass cloth is the way to go. 3M Acrylic Marine putty can be used to fill any air bubbles in the lamination. Then, contact cement on both surfaces (board and pad) to install the pad, and you're good to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: