myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fin advise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredrick,
With an 8.2 & 51 cm fin the Falcon starts planing between 13-14 mph, with the 7.6 & 48 cm fin @ around 14-15 mph. I have bigger fins & sails but I use them on my formula board. The upper wind speed limit varies greatly with the terrain but the board is comfortable in low 20's on flat water, upper teens if over two foot chop.

The next board down depends on location, terrain , what I have with me & type of sailing to be done. Flat water blasting, Isonic 107, for rougher water more B&J with carving tricks a Falcon 110. I just picked up a Fanatic Skate 101 so that will probably take time away from the Is 107 as I get into more freestyle.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many factors involved in lite wind sailing. Skill being number one if all things are equal. Sail size is the best way to increase your odds. Board width is another. Spending $200 for a bigger fin over a fin that is designed to fit your board and it wind range will make very little difference in your get up and go. If you turn down wind and pump your sail, let the board run up to speed before heading back up, you will gain more early planning than spend cash on a fin....
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Spending $200 for a bigger fin over a fin that is designed to fit your board and it wind range will make very little difference in your get up and go."

I think that it's well understood that fins sold with production boards are generally a compromise. In fact, most brands cite a fin range just like they outline a sail range for each specific board model. On top of that, I also think that it's understood that aftermarket fins tend to offer arguably better performance, particularly if one is looking to focus on certain kind of requirements, like light wind sailing or speedsailing.

To think that fins aren't as important a facet in the sailing experience as a board or sail is a highly questionable opinion in my view. Of course, the highest quality fin isn't going to readily make a beginner or developing intermediate sailor an expert. One's abilities have to be considered when looking into the options.

The way to learn and benefit from the different fins out there is to experiment with them. If you have the opportunity to sail with friends, borrow and test different fin sizes and styles if you can to learn more. Lastly, don't necessarily avoid certain designs because of some folks consider them to be difficult or too problematic. I tried to make that point when I recommended considering high aspect fins earlier. They are my first choice for many types of sailing conditions, especially for light to medium wind applications outside of wave sailing or freestyle moves.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's the board and not the fin. A few times over the years I have tried some friends boards in about the size you have and found that a couple were really dogs. Hard to plane even with plenty of wind and sail. Upon closer inspection, most of the board had pretty rounded (soft) rails almost to the tail. Instead of a clean water release, the tail was sucked down as the water was not allowed to flow free off the tail. Bad design. I don't recall the boards, but both were well know brands.

Take a close look at your board. If the rails are sharp for at least the last 3', it's probably not the board design.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point techno, I know it has soft rails, I'll check the last 3 or 4 inches next weekend. Pretty sure they are hard.
adywind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 points:
-Liquid Pro are too soft in the 48/50cm lengths and tend to loose grip espatially if you sail slalom style-outboard straps and a lot of pressure against the fin
-long harness lines make the rig a lot more efficient . I tought 30" is long enough for me, but yesterday I tryed 32" and immediately felt the benefit and I'm rather short at 5'8". What NOVAAN recommends doing a few replies back is easier done with long harness lines as they allow your body to move more freely and keep distance from the rig. In most situations you don't need more then your finger tips to hold and steer the boom anyway.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederic:

coachg is heavier, like me, and we require more wind or sail to plane
you are lighter at 145 pounds
a fellow windsurfer in my area is always planing when i have to go downwind to even approach planing
with 145 pounds and a 44 cm fin - soft, hard or whatever, should you not be planing at around 12 knots ??
often any wind under that for planing may require technique like pumping ...
J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Joe, planing around 12 knots (13.9 mph) with current fin. Marginal at times. Just want to make those days rock solid and take advantage of 10 and 11 knot (11.5 - 12.6 mph) days if possible. If I just had coach's 85cm falcon and fin!
adywind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the mastfoot forward of center for better upwind pointing if you haven't already. Also rake the rig back while leaning forward and out -back hand next to harness line, front wherever feels comfortable without pulling. Press with your toes when underpowered, with your heels when over and the rail starts to lift.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
To think that fins aren't as important a facet in the sailing experience as a board or sail is a highly questionable opinion in my view. Of course, the highest quality fin isn't going to readily make a beginner or developing intermediate sailor an expert. One's abilities have to be considered when looking into the options.

Well stated. Top level windsurfers don't hesitate to spend more than $1,000 on a single fin. Some speed surfers buy entire ranges of speed fins in 2 cm increments, easily spending thousands of dollars on fins.

Upgrading to a higher quality fin of the same size can indeed transform a marginal day into a rock-solid one. Keep in mind that sailing style, skills, and preferences matter for fins, too. A fin that works perfectly for a 200 lb sailor may behave very differently for a 145 lb sailor, so it will be a bit of a gamble to buy a new fin. But like U2, I'm very happy with my Black Project Fins, and have found Chris' advice very useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: