myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fin advise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Performance fin on a freeride board sounds a bit like lipstick on a pig Laughing And how many of them are actually offered with a power base ?! I couldn't find a single one in 50 cm a couple of years ago not even a MFC RC was anywhere to be found in stock even though it was listed as available in every shop. I settled for a LiquidPro in the end and it was a total waste of money Sad
Having fun in marginal days? I've been 3 times already out in marginal days on Lake Michigan after the ice melted. Once in offshore with a 7.5 and 110 L board/40 cm fin -planing only in the gusts but making the best of it -and twice in non-planing side shore N playing in small wind swell whith a 5.8 and my Windsup -great workout and incredible practice of early planing skills -just try to catch and ride one of those sneaky knee slappers if you don't believe me! I don't regret going out in neither of those days , maybe it's just me but I can always find a way to have fun and exercise healthy on the water when nobody else does. The perfect planing days so far -just 3 and I missed one of them Sad
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Performance fin on a freeride board sounds a bit like lipstick on a pig Laughing And how many of them are actually offered with a power base ?! I couldn't find a single one in 50 cm a couple of years ago not even a MFC RC was anywhere to be found in stock even though it was listed as available in every shop. I settled for a LiquidPro in the end and it was a total waste of money Sad

So you bought one fin that you thought was high performance, were disappointed by it, and came to the conclusion that it was similar to your experience putting makeup on pigs? Interesting.

A couple of years ago, after experiencing the effect of great fins in slalom boards, I decided to upgrade the fins on my 96 and 110 l freeride boards, even though I thought the fins I had were fine. I got a couple of fins from Maui Ultra Fins and Black Project. There was quite a profound difference in performance with respect to early planing, upwind ability, spinout resistance, and top-end speed. I ended up buying several more in different sizes, and there are still more on my wish list.

Getting high performance fins can sometimes be an issue. I don't quite understand why some manufacturers cannot open a web store, or at least list prices, availability, and a contact email. If I have to call to find out a price, or it takes a week to get an answer to an email, I'll look somewhere else.

Black Project Fins stands out here again, with an excellent web store that generally is up-to-date with what's available. They currently show that they have a 47 cm power box freeride fin available for $175.
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I bought the only semidecent fin that was available in power box. I couldn't find any performance ones in power box even after lots of back and forth emails with various stores. Read more carefully the other people's posts please!
If this 47 cm 175$ Black Projeckt fin is soo good this is the OPs lucky day then and I wish him many planing marginal days with it! If not-I'm sure they have a standard return policy, don't they?
PS: the online store is great hands down! They even have on sale Type R 45 and 50cm in power base /but not when I was looking for them Sad/ ! The OPs Xcite Ride will surely fly with those Laughing
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there is a reason why 50cm fins aren't made in powerbase, excuse me I mean Powerbox.

There are several good posts on this thread that address : the fin alone is not the problem. The purchase of a fin , read pricy fin, that "may increase" the onslaught of early planning, and may not due to a multitude of factors.

The JP fin that came with can certainly be improved upon, will a additional fin increase that planning threshold, probably not by much. Their are some other performance increases that will kick in, control, speed, upwind.

For someone to post that a certain fin or size will do this that or the other is ridiculous.

Only because K4 doesn't make a fin this long I still say the BPF would be a serious option.

Option 2 would be an entirely different board, sail, carbon this that

I believe that WITH the weight of the sailor, his/her board and sail size,
their is a optimum level of performance, so 145lb this board this 7.5 m sail, you should be close. Going up in size sail will not produce meaningful results. My weight is 155, for me I have no appreciable gain in a 8.5m over a 7.5m on my 135L Rocket, longer mast, heavier sail all account.

I use A pig, statement, mine being
"You cant make a racehorse from a pig, BUT you CAN make a fast pig !!"

lipstick is optional, and there are Forums for Pigs, of that Iam sure

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Read more carefully the other people's posts please!

Get real. I read your post quite carefully, and simply rephrased what you had written to point out that you may be jumping to conclusions. It certainly seemed that you were ridiculing the idea of putting a performance fin on a freeride board. Does not matter how many smileys you put on, you are wrong, and your ridiculing seems to be based on very limited experience.

Jumping to premature conclusions does appear to be your forte, though. With a little bit of more careful browsing, you might have discovered that the type R fins you mention are currently not in stock in power box. They are also racing fins intended for slalom boards. The fins may be great, but there's quite a mismatch to an XCite Ride, so they may not work well at all on this board.

Neither did I say at any point that the 47 cm BPF freeride fin is "soo good". I merely pointed out that it is available in power box; that I have had good experiences with other BP fins; and that I have found the advice from Chris Freeman at Black Project very helpful. Based on that, contacting him with the original question makes sense. I am sure he will answer any questions about return policies, too.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frederic , the OP, is currently semi-planing in about 12 knots
he would like to be planing solidly in even less wind - say 10 - 11 knots

should he change his sail ? someone replied that for a lightweight this is an investment with diminished return
should he change the board ? this is a BIG investment for a MAYBE

should he change his fin ? perhaps since original supplied fins are not always high performance/hi-grade
this is the cheapest investment and perhaps used fins can be a solution

someone said (please don't shoot the messenger) that a weed fin got them planing earlier in marginal conditions
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27256&highlight=weed+fins
early planing is not a question of speed, more about lift ...
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:
adywind wrote:
Read more carefully the other people's posts please!

Get real. I read your post quite carefully, and simply rephrased what you had written to point out that you may be jumping to conclusions. It certainly seemed that you were ridiculing the idea of putting a performance fin on a freeride board. Does not matter how many smileys you put on, you are wrong, and your ridiculing seems to be based on very limited experience.

Jumping to premature conclusions does appear to be your forte, though. With a little bit of more careful browsing, you might have discovered that the type R fins you mention are currently not in stock in power box. They are also racing fins intended for slalom boards. The fins may be great, but there's quite a mismatch to an XCite Ride, so they may not work well at all on this board.

Neither did I say at any point that the 47 cm BPF freeride fin is "soo good". I merely pointed out that it is available in power box; that I have had good experiences with other BP fins; and that I have found the advice from Chris Freeman at Black Project very helpful. Based on that, contacting him with the original question makes sense. I am sure he will answer any questions about return policies, too.

WHAT he said

windoggi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone spends $300 on a fin, I can guarantee you they're going to find the performance increase incredible.
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops they have them in stock ...and oops they call it a BASE /the box is what the base goes in to Laughing / And that 45 type R will be cooking in the XCite Ride with a 8.5...and for the $$$ it's a steal!
You can attack me as much as want U2 and boardsurfr but you both are WRONG Razz

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  76.19 KB
 Viewed:  8980 Time(s)

image.jpg

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the fin you chose to represent is a tuttle.AND not powerbox.

but anyway, the boxes and bases( they must be the same to work except tuttle and deep Tuttle which you can utilize longer screws) that are in use today, pay attention now
as its not rocket science are:

Tuttle: deep, tuttle regular and mini
Powerbox
USBox, known also as Classic or ABox
slot box

trim box is still around but not used by and boards that Iam aware of.

Real Winds have a unique box, name unknown

A long time ago in a Galaxy far away their were some other variations, like leaded gasoline they are seasons past.

To state someone is categorically wrong on opinions leaves little doubt of your mental state, attack indeed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: