myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fin advise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
frederick23 wrote:
Yes Joe, planing around 12 knots (13.9 mph) with current fin. Marginal at times. Just want to make those days rock solid and take advantage of 10 and 11 knot (11.5 - 12.6 mph) days if possible. If I just had coach's 85cm falcon and fin!

Ok Frederick,

Here is some more motivation to upgrade that board of yours. Laughing

Coachg

https://vimeo.com/124382380

Nice footage Coach. Looks like Lake Washington, Donner Lake, and Rancho Seco?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
If what you are saying is true , then you just compromised the image of this company /which you praised so vigorously before/ by suggesting that they are selling crap.

Stop putting words in my mouth already. My description was quite a bit more detailed and nuanced than that. But you only seem to be able to see the world in black and white.

adywind wrote:
Your continuous ridiculing and insulting me also says a ton about your personality and I think it's time for me to speak up against it!

Don't give me credit for things you've done yourself. You first tried to ridicule the idea of putting a performance fin in a freeride board; then you flip-flopped and declared one particular fin as a great improvement for the OPs board. Not that you ever sailed this fin that you so highly recommend, or any other fin from this manufacturer. The only relevant experience that you did report was with a 50 cm fin from a different manufacturer that you hated. So you are doing a splendid job at ridiculing yourself.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:

Nice footage Coach. Looks like Lake Washington, Donner Lake, and Rancho Seco?

Pretty good call. You only missed Almanor.

Coachg
adywind

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
Frederick, a little bit of a side track, but I'm curious. Did you buy a new Sailworks 75% or 100% carbon SDM mast to match up with your 7.5 Retro? I recently bought a new 2014 7.0 Retro myself, and I'm still in a quandary whether to pick up the 75% Joystick, or to go with my 1995 Windwing (Dynafiber) mast which is somewhere around 40-60% carbon. The Windwing mast is the correct bend curve, but probably not as light and responsive.

In any case, I would like to hear your thoughts about the new Retro and its performance.

The latest Retro is top notch as you might expect from Sailworks . I sailed mine brand new 7.5 once already in pretty light wind, so at close to minimum settings. I'm using a 490 Gulftech 100% RDM with ~ 8cm head cap extension and foot extension set to 8 /lowest on a Chinook/. Perfect batten rotation and head twist-very happy with the low end. I haven't tested its top end yet, but I'm sure it won't dissapoint me Smile Not so happy with a 460 Ezzy mast on my 2013 6.5 Retro -the mast is a bit too top soft and bottom stiff and sometimes I have to kick the lowest batten after a turn, but that's the only issue I'm having with it-not a big deal. I'll replace it one day with another Gulftech or a Sumo or maybe even a F.A.S.T if I get lucky Wink

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  10488 Time(s)

image.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a Gulftech 100% carbon 490cm RDM, and I thought about extending the adjustable top to make it work, but Dale Cook thought that I would lose some performance with the 7.0 due to the mast's greater stiffness. Still though, I'll probably experiment a bit to see how things work.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havent sailed it yet swchandler. No new mast.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I also have a Gulftech 100% carbon 490cm RDM, and I thought about extending the adjustable top to make it work, but Dale Cook thought that I would lose some performance with the 7.0 due to the mast's greater stiffness. Still though, I'll probably experiment a bit to see how things work.

Tough call for a 7.0 indeed, but it doesn't hurt to try. Your Windwing mast is probably the better choice untill you get something newer.
The day I shot the picture above was offshore, completely shadowed near-beach. You can see in the background where the water gets darker where wind starts to appear. Very light , don't remember much white caps -I guess 15+/-The gusts were comming steadily though and I got plenty of short planing bursts -enough for occasional carve. I came in after the first 10min or so to let of some DH/OH and then sailed for 2hrs. Better then nothing!

Last edited by adywind on Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frederick,

I chose to experiment with fins since:
-they change board behavior a lot
-they are by far the cheapest thing to try and to ship
-they are easy to carry
-they are more fragile for me, so I need to change anyway

The last item is dependent on location. Altough I'm quite nice in general with my toys, there are rocks where I sail. While dents can be repaired, torn fins are useless.

So, my bias is towards trying a new fin. I think you could go all out for this fin since it will be your biggest. As Jinge said, base the length on the tail width. The fin should be powerfull (thick) to generate lift at slow speed and could be flexible since you are light, and since a flexible fin is easier to pump. I would go with a straighter fin too since they are more efficient.

As techno said, chasing early planning calls for a lot of pumping. If you don't have reliable and steady wind, you might also forget it and use a longboard instead. My Kona planes later but is much more fun to use when the wind goes up and down all the time.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

all of my Sailworks were great, not had any for some years now.

FWIW I agree that a 490 would lose performance in this case, I am not familiar with GULFTECHs curve, for a 490cm mast I prefer a SDM, sold my skinny 490 . I also think that in most cases the sail , doesn't matter whos, is designed to work on a specific length mast, to glean the performance intended. Of course time on the water with a longer mast is still better than work.

Experiment yes, sometimes we all still get surprised.

so we are on sails and masts now........ well works for me

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an interesting post about how different fins worked in different slalom boards on the Seabreeze forum at http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Windsurfing/Review/Fin-compatibility-with-Slalom-Boards/. He writes:
Quote:
One thing that I have discovered is that a fin which is great in one board is a dog in another.

The same fin can get a pretty different rating when changing the board or sail size. For example, the Vector Rockit 32 got 8 (out of 10) points on an Isonic 87 from 2012, but just 4 points on an Isonic 90 from 2014. The Sonntag SLP40 on an Isonic 110 got a 5 with sails from 6.6-7.0, but a 9 with 7.1-8.0 m sails.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: