myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
fin advise
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: fin advise Reply with quote

Want to add an additional fin to my 130L, 72cm free ride board to try and get out on those marginal days where my stock fin won't get me planing. Goal is early planing, upwind performance. Stock fin is a JP 44. Thinking either a race/slalom oriented (maui fin KP race) in either 48 or 50 or Liquid pro in either 48 or 50. Will it help?

I am 145lbs to be paired with a 7.5
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason the board doesn't plane is NOT because of the fin, OR fin alone. Its a number of aspects, and could be just that there is not enough wind.

I think a 44cm without looking up a load of research stuff is about the right size, its going to be possible to improve the JP fin. You may go slightly larger and better fin and cure, or NOT

I like the MFC Liquid, and really like a Black Project Fin, BPF, they are super efficient. You need to compare any fin as a replacement with the area as well as the length......

Write Chris at BPF tell him Colorado sent you

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pair a 48 cm MFC RC fin with a 7.5 all the time, but I'm 30 lbs heavier than you using an 85 cm wide board. On my 70 cm board I don't go bigger than 44 cm with a 7.5. Too hard on the ankles.

Stock fins generally are not very good. I think a better 44 cm fin is the way to go. MFC Luquid Pro or KP in 44-46 max is a good call. If you want to spend more a Tectonics T-43 is a very powerful fin.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, fins can highly specialized, particularly when it comes down manufacturing. Being such a light sailor you just might move up to a 46cm course slalom design with more high aspect planform, powerful tip, but soft and flexy overall. If you have the money, I would check out what F4 fins can offer you. Molded fins offer the best out there, particularly for the lighter sailor.

http://www.f4fins.com

If you're grounded in a more affordable world, you really can't go wrong considering Tectonics. I have older 46cm Spitfire and 50cm Mirage course slaloms, and they have served me well over the years. They strike a great balance between powerful and comfortable across a pretty healthy wind range. I wouldn't be thrown off by a more vertical high aspect design. They're a lot more maneuverable than you think.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a True Ames Sweeper in a 48, it's pretty darned planey, and
not overly stiff in turns. You might like it to get you planing in
about 2 or 3MPH less wind than what currently planes you.

http://www.isthmussailboards.com/True-Ames-Sweeper-Tuttle-Base/productinfo/TASTU/

-Craig

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy way to make sure your fin choices do not exceed a board's ability to balance with it well:

measure the bottom of the board one foot off the tail. the width of the board at that point should be the max fin length. anything over that reduces the upside wind range, and tends to offer limited additional lift.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting jingebritsen. Boards are in Wisconsin, I'm planing on sailing next weekend. I'll check those measurements! Makes sense all. Preferably I would have a wider board for those conditions. Maybe next year. Coachg, what's your 85cm. Board? Could people comment on stiff vs. Flex for lightweight in light winds. I assume fin width is most important for early planing, which true ames sweeper isnt, but maybe has more flex and length? Upright Is better than curve for early planing correct?
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Area for early planing, not just width or length. Fanatic Falcon 142.

Coachg
J64TWB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coachg, at what wind speed and sail range do you use that falcon? What is your next step down when the wind picks up?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the Coach says, area is the call, but meat cleaver like fins tend to
top out really really fast, and I find purely vertical fins to spin out abruptly.
Another thing that will help with early planning is a thick fin foil (at least thick at
the leading edge). For light wind I prefer a stiffer fin, but when it honks, and in really rough terrain, a little flex is good. If your goal is to plane as early as possible then the Drake-Curtis 42 or the Drake-Ames 40, or the True Ames Stubbie 38 or 45, but I don't know where you would order the Drake fins (maybe starboard could help), and you'd have to special order the Stubbie 45 from True Ames.

Good Luck,

-Craig

frederick23 wrote:
Interesting jingebritsen. Boards are in Wisconsin, I'm planing on sailing next weekend. I'll check those measurements! Makes sense all. Preferably I would have a wider board for those conditions. Maybe next year. Coachg, what's your 85cm. Board? Could people comment on stiff vs. Flex for lightweight in light winds. I assume fin width is most important for early planing, which true ames sweeper isnt, but maybe has more flex and length? Upright Is better than curve for early planing correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: