myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
$15 minimum wage
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
Hey , in spite of your lack of education, at least you get be a keyboard economist on these pages. You slept through high school, took a couple welding classes, did some construction, and now you're doing a Milton Friedman impression on iwindsurf.

Funny, they said something similar about Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Mark Z. I'll take someone who has done things over someone who has read about doing them any day. The bulk of most people's growth occurs after schooling. Others, of course, make it a mission not to grow up.

Comparing tech geniuses with a construction worker...you're good , you. When someone refers to poor minimum wage earners as "losers" , or living in "Obamaapartments", its quite offensive..maybe not to you, but to me it certainly is. From an economic standpoint, certainly $15 will cause much disruption, but $11-$12 is realisitc, and it wont hurt profits...its not hurting In-n-out.

I was just responding to SWChandlers post, he called them losers. Obamapartments is offensive?
When you learn a trade you can start your own business, employ people and make even more money than most paper pushers with their alumni license plate frames, I charge those people $100 hr to fix their toilets all day long.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Hey , in spite of your lack of education, at least you get be a keyboard economist on these pages. You slept through high school, took a couple welding classes, did some construction, and now you're doing a Milton Friedman impression on iwindsurf.

And you liberals here with your community college degrees and Gov't jobs are just as much of an economist as myself.
Like obama who never ran so much as a hot dog stand or worked an actual job and now runs the country, into the ground.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I was just responding to SWChandlers post, he called them losers."

Well, if one was to really review my 4/18 post, it was pretty clear that I was putting on the attitude that some of our more hateful contributors here on the right voice about folks that aren't up to their standards. As a whole, the post was more a challenge to them to offer something constructive. Looking at all my other posts on this thread, I think that it's pretty clear where I really stand on the minimum wage issue. I have no doubt that boggmans understood where I was coming from, and that his comment wasn't singling me out as one that really thinks like that.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

And you liberals here with your community college degrees and Gov't jobs are just as much of an economist as myself.
Like obama who never ran so much as a hot dog stand or worked an actual job and now runs the country, into the ground.

I'm not looking to offend anyone, or any profession, I'm just stating that economics is more than a few anecdotals about small business. We need a higher minimum wage for a lot of reasons, but I certainly dont think the end goal is to create a "living wage" or a permanent working class of $15/hr workers. $11/hr would do the trick.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamburger making machine churns out custom orders at industrial speed.
http://www.gizmag.com/hamburger-machine/25159/
gronquist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uwindsurf wrote:
mrgybe wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
San Francisco has had a higher minimum wage for a while, and the restaurants here are the most profitable in the country...and the best.

Surely you meant to say that SF restaurants are the best in the world didn't you? Pleeease! Anyway, to return to rationality, the root of the problem lies in the much touted drop in unemployment which, contrary to the trumpeting from the WH (and here) is not an indication of economic strength. It is an indication that many have dropped out of the workforce and many more have settled for low wage jobs which traditionally have been taken by young people who are in, or are straight out of school. In part, that is why household incomes have dropped significantly during this President Obama's tenure. If his Administration had focused on creating decent jobs, and not on making a career out of jobs that the unemployed have been forced into, and are way below their capabilities, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But, but, but...I thought private enterprise created jobs, not the government?

like. Idea
mrgybe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear. Let me explain this slowly. The only jobs government creates are government jobs. OK? They are very good at that as those who actually pay taxes know. However, government policies can encourage or discourage job creation in the private sector. So, if, for example, government introduces legislation that potentially penalizes full time work, business will respond by creating part time jobs. Or if the government dithers for years on tax policy or regulation, that creates uncertainty which causes businesses to hold off expanding or hiring. Or if they put major projects through years of scrutiny, and then, even after passing multiple repetitive examinations, the President steps in and says the project can't go ahead just because.......that stifles job growth. Recognize any of these? The facts speak for themselves. Low skilled, low paying jobs have grown under this Administration while skilled jobs have declined. The outcome....household income has dropped significantly. No amount of smiley faces or "likes" will alter those facts.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so simple, the problem is President Obama and his administration. Pick any issue or topic, any perceived shortcomings or untoward outcomes happening right now are rooted in the poor job Obama and his people are doing.

Now, if we put ___________ (add the Republican candidate of your choice) in charge, the right decisions would be made for America, and nothing but good things would happen.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little history of the past 6-7 years. In 2005-2006, we had the two lowest quality years of mortgage underwriting in the history of our country. Subprime represented 5-10x the average volume it has historically. BAM, 2007-2011, the whole enchilada unravelled. With manufacturing jobs already disappearing, we now had to deal with 4-6 mm newly unemployed as a result of the real estate market implosion. Because credit was nonextistent, corporations were laying people off by the busload!
Fast forward to today... what we have learned is that many of the jobs that existed before 2008, dont exist today. Corporations have learned to run lean, manufacturing is slow to recover, and housing related jobs are still not plentiful. So, many Americans have been forced to take jobs on the low end of the scale , just to pay the bills. I would say this potent economic Tsunami is much more impactful on the job market than the policies of the current president.
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only someone who hasn't seen much of the world, or thought about what he has seen would say:

Quote:
The only jobs government creates are government jobs. OK

Where to begin with someone so arrogant and so poorly informed? Perhaps with the railroads--which were built by private companies, using the incentives of government owned land? It created vast markets. Replicated with the Interstate, airport and port systems. It took the cooercive and fund raising capacity of the government to secure the rights-of-way and build the facilities. Reduced costs for businesses immensely. Added a huge inventory of land that was now within commuting distance of jobs and made housing affordable.

Then there is education--for those who haven't opted out to avoid having the hard-do-educate and minorities in their classrooms. The water supply systems and waste treatment systems--both of which didn't exist or failed before government stepped in. Then we should briefly mention the space program, which created the technology for transistors, which became the computer industry.

what a misinformed fool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: