myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why the !@#$ do we have to work so long?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aleko.petkov

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Why the !@#$ do we have to work so long? Reply with quote

It's blowing 16knots outside, and I'm stuck in the office on a Friday, waiting for the day to end. By the time I get through the hideous LA traffic, it will be dark, and the wind will have died. God, I hate the 9-6! What a !@#$%^& miserable way to spend your life. Sad
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This song sums up life in 4 words.
You just have to make it happen. Have lots of gear. And be willing to ride alone at 5 A.M..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO5dcW0P75M
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See
http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=248064&highlight=windsday+sailing#248064
aka
http://tinyurl.com/kchbse8 .

And, oh yes ... your problem is just one of many reasons I won't live in big cities. I don't do traffic.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe think about re-inventing your life. If you're miserable doing what you're doing, find something that makes you happy.

I quit the 9-5 job 35 years ago. Anyone can start their own business. it's so easy.
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slinky said:
Quote:
Anyone can start their own business. it's so easy.

You must be wrong, you can't do it on your own. The government has to help you, so says Obama.
mac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who exactly built the roads you use to get to work?
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno, you're a pretty funny guy! I did get a little help from my dad though.
I think what stops many people is fear of failure. Not much has changed in 35 years, but now, two individuals can form an S Corp.

This saves you a great deal on social security taxes which are about 15% for a sole proprietor.

Bottom line is that the federal government has made it easier for us very small self employed individuals. I do have Obama to thank for this one.
jp5

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there many times. When Surfline had a webcam at Leo I used to watch my buddies sail while I was still at work. Fortunately there is wind on weekends although for some reason not as often as mid-week. If you have family and a mortgage then you just have to suck it up and do the best you can. On the other hand...
techno900

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac said:
Quote:
Who exactly built the roads you use to get to work?

You can dance around it all you want, always trying to get the last word, but here is what he said in context:

[quote]If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen.[/quote]

Sorry, it's a silly statement. No one says that government hasn't played a key roll in our countries successes, but when Obama speaks without a teleprompter, he frequently goofs things up. I wonder if there are business that don't require a road?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Obama quote is a classic in the Republican talking points list. How many times can you hit the play and rewind buttons and get a lift off that one? Just drop it in any political discussion and watch liberal heads roll.

Of course, those of us that aren't against Obama all the time know what he was trying to communicate. We wouldn't have the country we have if it wasn't for the government and its citizens. No matter what you do, others are almost always associated with it in some way. Success so often depends on the role of others in the mix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: