myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Before driving out east, check your data source
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Before driving out east, check your data source Reply with quote

Heads-up sent to Weatherflow (iWindsurf):

"According to your data, Richland has been blowing in the 40s and 50s (mph) for many hours today, April 18. In fact, it is and has been almost dead calm. Pasco, right across the river, is reading low single digits. We’ve seen lesser but equally obvious errors occasionally since the Richland reporting station was reinstated recently.

Ditto Roosevelt, more often than not, almost all the time. Whatever data stream you’re tapping for Roosevelt, it is not Roosevelt. It is likely scores of miles and maybe a mountain range away, as it OFTEN differs all day by 90-180 degrees and/or tens/scores of mph from what’s actually going on there. We need Rosey data for at least two reasons: your new Arlington sensor across the river is under a cliff and reads pretty much westerly despite the real wind direction, and local kiters who say wind quality is hugely dependent on the REAL ratio of Roosevelt to Arlington wind speed won’t launch until Rosey’s wind meets or exceeds Arlington’s. They have no way of evaluating this when Rosey data is off by 30 mph and 180 degrees all day. (The PNNL Roosevelt sensor you used for many years no longer exists; I’m guessing you’re accidentally tapping one of PNNL’s/Hanford's other 20-30 sensors.)"
stu2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars,

We're sorry that the public domain data for Roosevelt has been removed. We weren't involved in that decision. If you have suggestions (and permissions) for a new site, we're certainly willing to listen.

- Stuart
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The booming metropolis of Roosevelt has power and an interest in our presence. I feel sure they'd welcome a sensor. Better yet for accuracy, there are Corps-owned jetties extending into the river with a clear view to the wind; a solar powered sensor would be great out there.

I can't imagine the city of Richland objecting to a sensor near its only practical sailing site, but then I also can't say that paying for one would be in your best interests, given that it's sailable only a very few days each year and only 2 or 3 people sail there because it's extremely direction-sensitive ... rare S to SSW or fugheddaboutit. Anything else is an urban vortex nightmare.

Mike
dhanson928

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: There ARE issues with the Roosevelt data...4/21/15 @ 11am... Reply with quote

The river level sensors :Arlington at 15 west and 54f...The Roosevelt one reads 79f and 2mph east. The Roosie heights reads 9 west and 54f... I'd say the traditional one at river level on the washington side is wrong, and that one is quite useful when working...

and while I am at it here on the forum...would it not be nice if the Arlington town people or even the CGWA or the Corp again did something to make launching from the Oregon side a better option, like many years ago when they had some sand and pea gravel dumped in the rip-rap rocks just east of the grain elevators? That can't have been very expensive, a few truckloads of fill dumped over the edge of the rocks, and it did work fine for a few seasons, I recall...It'd be a real pleasure to not need to deal with the Washington shore's wind hole and crowds in the rigging areas...
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I proposed that to the Corps, the BIA, and Fish & Game in our meeting on the Arlington site, all three flatly rejected ANY modifications touching the water. They insisted that ANY sand or gravel put into the water would kill the salmon. We were lucky they accepted my idea of building the slope we have now; that got done within days because Arlington really wants us there.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
When I proposed that to the Corps, the BIA, and Fish & Game in our meeting on the Arlington site, all three flatly rejected ANY modifications touching the water. They insisted that ANY sand or gravel put into the water would kill the salmon. We were lucky they accepted my idea of building the slope we have now; that got done within days because Arlington really wants us there.

Really? You aren't kidding? "Kill the salmon?" Sheesh!

So the prejudice against "BoardHeads? still exists, I guess, even though we've been around now for 20yrs or so without wrecking anything, they still automatically say "No!" to us "just because?..... "

Getting some way into the river from Arlington is still a worthwhile endeavor, should anyone come up with a way to convince the owners of the river.....

Curious, didn't they use any sand and gravel to make all the dams? Salmon are still here....curious.
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting in the river at Arlington was not the problem. Its getting out on a 3.5 day that is super gnar. I have sailed in to the marina and carried out on occasion. Little bit of a swim.

I do agree with DH, seems like something could be done if the City of Arlington is truly interested. The railroad can put anything in the river. Remember when they started blasting to put the double track in at Doug's? The CGWA was filing motions to stop the project and the RR just sped up the construction date and started lighting the dynamite.

RIP
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhanson928 wrote:
Really? You aren't kidding? "Kill the salmon?" Sheesh!

Curious, didn't they use any sand and gravel to make all the dams? Salmon are still here....curious.

I laughed out loud when they said that, but they were not kidding. Besides the stupidity, the entire island we were standing on was BUILT BY THE TOWN OF ARLINGTON. I'm amazed it didn't kill every fish this side of Japan.

Arlington wanted to copy the Hood River success story. They already had general plans ready for a lawn, a wind break, a jetty to block the shorebreak, an INN where the silos are, and much more. The feds' hard line on the shoreline dashed all that.
eflatminor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case you missed this post by CGWA in December, here's an update on the latest discussions regarding Arlington:
http://gorgewindsurfing.org/2014/12/december-cgwa-activities/

Excerpt:
"The Port of Arlington wants to make access into the water easier as well as provide high quality amenities for users while not in the water. The CGWA will continue to provide insight, suggestions and recommendations throughout the Spring of 2015, and the Port hopes to break ground on the project Fall/Winter of 2015/2016. If you have any suggestions for improvements at Arlington that would make your windsurfing experience better, please let us know at cgwa@gorge.net."

Sounds like this is a good time to get involved.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Good! Reply with quote

eflatminor wrote:
In case you missed this post by CGWA in December, here's an update on the latest discussions regarding Arlington:
http://gorgewindsurfing.org/2014/12/december-cgwa-activities/

Excerpt:
"The Port of Arlington wants to make access into the water easier as well as provide high quality amenities for users while not in the water. The CGWA will continue to provide insight, suggestions and recommendations throughout the Spring of 2015, and the Port hopes to break ground on the project Fall/Winter of 2015/2016. If you have any suggestions for improvements at Arlington that would make your windsurfing experience better, please let us know at cgwa@gorge.net."

Sounds like this is a good time to get involved.

I did miss that... there is still hope then, some ongoing interest in trying to get something going out there...

Trying to get down a jetty to launch is not fun. When Arlington is going off, launching from the east face of that parking area is a daunting prospect.

The town of Arlington would $urely benefit from drawing some sailors back to their side: on a big summer day there are a LOT of people crammed into the Roosevelt park area.. Many would certainly elect, instead, to drive the interstate and have shoreside amenities (like gasoline, food and drinking water) available, if the Launch were even slightly more viable..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: