myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New to windsurfing, will this board be suitable?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:

Will we feel more satisfied learning on our own than with instruction? No

But the joy you felt the first time you got in the back straps on your own was no greater than the joy I felt when Pete Dekay taught me at an ABK camp.

Once again, I don't know where you guys get off telling one person what is more satisfying or joyful to someone else. There are a lot of things in life that I personally have gotten a lot of satisfaction from learning and doing on my own. I'm not saying that learning those things through instruction would not be satisfying to someone else, but for me, figuring it out for myself is part of the challenge and overcoming the challenge is what dictates the level of satisfaction. Other people are satisfied with getting to the end result ASAP.

sm
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
Once again, I don't know where you guys get off telling one person what is more satisfying or joyful to someone else.

I'm sorry if you feel I'm telling people what they think. I'm just informing them of what Rainer Martens research has indicated in sociological studies on human motivation & learning as it is applied to coaching. I think you are are confusing the process with the action. Weather you "figured it out" on your own or received coaching to get there, the feeling you get in performing the action is the same based on the best available research. The sense of accomplishment of doing it on your own, or the feeling of pride you feel has nothing to do with the feeling of joy you feel in performing the action.

Again, to be absolutely clear on this. The intrinsic feeling we get when we perform an action, the feeling that keeps us coming back, is just as strong with or without coaching. The sense of accomplishment is a separate feeling. In my profession I have to know what motivates people.

Coachg
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have failed to make my point, and pissed more than a few people off unintentionally. I'm going to try again.

While we're not on the same page, I think bred2shred frames the issue I'm arguing most clearly:

bred2shred wrote:

I don't know where you guys get off telling one person what is more satisfying or joyful to someone else. There are a lot of things in life that I personally have gotten a lot of satisfaction from learning and doing on my own. I'm not saying that learning those things through instruction would not be satisfying to someone else, but for me, figuring it out for myself is part of the challenge and overcoming the challenge is what dictates the level of satisfaction. Other people are satisfied with getting to the end result ASAP.

What I am saying (or trying badly to say) is:

A number of people are suggesting that the satisfaction of learning windsurfing without instruction is greater than learning it with instruction.

(Bred2shred qualifies it as being true for him but not necessarily for other people.)

While people may have likes and dislikes in their mind about the issue, I think the only empirical way to come to a conclusion about which (if either) is more satisfying is to learn several significant skills with instruction, and several significant skills without instruction, and compare. I don't see any other way to have an informed opinion. Do an A/B comparison with a meaningful sample size. After that, one might talk with other people who have a significant amount of both self-taught and instruction taught skills.

For me both personally (I was a self taught uphauler, harness user, footstrap user, waterstarter, tacker, faster than average planer, and ugliestintheworld jiber before I first encountered Dasher and Andy Brandt/ABK world) and as an occasional instructor with ABK (working with many people who had similar windsurfing backgrounds) I have never once seen or heard anyone learn anything in an instruction environment say "yeah I'm very happy that I hit my first waterstart or jibe or helitack or sailed that fast etc, but it didn't compare to when I taught myself to ___" I've never anything like that once, and I spend a lot of time with the formerly self-taught. To me that's not surprising, as anyone who has put time in to serious instruction knows that the lectures and the demonstrations and the coaching and the video review only inform what you attempt on the water. You still have to do everything, and "everything" is still challenging as all hell. Actually getting your body to execute is the tremendous challenge. I can give the Loop Lecture, but I've never come close to looping.

I have never seen anyone who was not ecstatic after hitting their first whatever in a lesson or clinic. It may be that the people who go to clinics are self-selecting in this regard (ie they want to improve so desperately that of course they're over-the-moon happy about new achievement) as opposed to windsurfers who are less focused on improvement. I personally have gone through phases where I've passed on the chance to take a clinic because I simply wasn't in the mood to commit the time, effort, money and ego-death. I still work on things, and occasionally teach myself something. Those are great moments! But they have never been more satisfying than being coached into learning something.

The number of people in windsurfing clinics who liked the idea of instruction from the outset is actually rather small...I'd say 25% max. The remainder are a split of self-taught sailors who resent being at the clinic (it's their first...they are there because a friend has bullied them into it, cajoled them into it, or surpassed them in water skills to the point where the competitive urge demands trying a clinic) and converts (like me) who have discovered that quality instruction provides a path through wasted time and to good results.

At the end of the clinic (and in the days months years after any given clinic) one never hears anyone say "yeah that was great but it wasn't as good as teaching myself." What you DO see and hear are people coming back for more clinics. These are the formerly self-taught people. Again I acknowledge that the self-selection phenomenon may be a part of this.

In summation: For those of you (Bred2Shred, Gurgletrousers, SWChandler etc) who say that for you personally find teaching yourself to be more satisfying than learning from quality instruction:

1. Have you learned several significant things through clinics and/or quality instruction so that you're in a position to compare? I'd like to hear about that (I'm a self-taught waterstarter, but an instruction taught jiber, for example.) I suspect that you haven't, but please correct me as needed. If you haven't, then from an empirical standpoint I don't see how your expressed opinion is an informed one. I'm not saying you don't take great satisfaction at teaching yourself, I am saying you're not in a position to say it is in fact more satisfying than learning something with a coach...you believe it is, you like the idea of it, but you don't have a body of experiences to compare. Please correct me if I'm mistaken.

2. I don't know where any of you guys are on the windsurfing skill ladder, or what skills that you don't currently have or would like to be significantly better at are, but I suspect that if you were to put in meaningful time with an ABK or Dasher or Voss or Tinho etc and actually crack some of your next milestones, that you would find the satisfaction to be just as great as your self-taught achievements.

(that's my best effort. I don't mean to come off as an arrogant blowhard and all the other stuff I've been called, but I'll take the rap for it.)

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where Coach is coming from and appreciate the underlying research. But my goal was and remains simply to minimize frustration by improving my sailing skills. I was extremely disappointed when magazine tutorials, books, money (e.g., travel expenses including air fares and blank checks), TOW, and sacrifices (e.g., leaving a solid week of wind at home for prearranged lessons 900 miles away that fell through), and lessons at exotic locations all proved useless for many reasons. At that point I just wanted to break some progress barriers, but it was not to be. Intrinsic, extrinsic, schmentrinsic; I just wanted to make planing U-turns without falling in, not to mention the small stuff. Scores of my early WSing buds just gave up, I'll bet one STILL can't plane through a jibe despite moving to the Gorge decades ago, and I see hundreds of botched jibe attempts every day by people who live here or have been coming to the Gorge every summer for decades.

As someone said a few posts ago, even straddling the mast for uphauling isn't obvious at first, especially for any guy who tried that with those early mast sockets that released when pulled vertically. Why, hell, I've even encountered LONG-time WSers who STILL haven't figured out the right way to go BFF without sinking the tail! Very Happy
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
especially for any guy who tried that with those early mast sockets that released when pulled vertically.

I walked out of the water from my first day with blood running down my legs. Jammed that uni into my shins a dozen times.

windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the iwindsurf forum gdawson6.....
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reply to, how can you know what real satisfaction is without having taken a lesson, for comparison?

For many years I've been a self taught accomplished solo sea kayaker, with thousands of miles beneath my belt. (Several 500 miler solo camping journeys, a three weeker solo in Arctic waters, and solo English Channel crossings, all without back up, or people even knowing I was there.)

How can I rate satisfaction without having had the benefit of being 'instructed? ( By whom?) Easily! To pivk just one of a thousand memories - my first solo English Channel crossing in 1976. (A growing wind and sea state over the 7 hours it took.)

On setting up camp, with primus roaring and coffee in hand (spaghetti cooking) was one of the absolute highlights of my life. I'd completed a difficult crossing in non too friendly conditions, and paddled near to the limit of my self taught but refined ability. If that was not COMPLETE satisfaction (and pride) I know not what could be!! To suppose had I taken 'instruction. I'd have felt better is absurd!

It is not WHAT we do in life, so much as HOW we achieve it. It's pointless saying more, except, how can those who have never carried through a dream under their own dedication and desire judge those who have. How would they know!
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much said it all in my second post on page 2, but because I offered a bit of negativity in that post, I wanted to clarify things in the following post. At this point, with coachg's comments, I thought that I would take one more swing at it to make my point.

As a kid, I always steered clear of organized sports. Too much of a control thing for me. Even if the coaching methods are free of emotion, the control thing is at the heart of it. Is it a sound way of modeling the development of the student? No doubt, because that's what it's about. But that may not make it a fun thing to do.

If you step outside the teacher/lesson paradigm, you have all the time in the world to do what you want to do. Being on your own road and learning at your own rate allows you to control what's going on. You decide how much or how little time is spent and where you want to focus. It's all about freedom. That's the key. Needless to say, trading one thing for another has it's consequences. A lack professional instruction just might mean you advance more slowly, or tend to pick up bad habits. However, as I pointed out earlier, in my first day windsurfing and my later my first waterstart attempt, advancement happened very quickly. With regard to the latter, I seriously doubt that it would have happened any quicker with professional lessons. But like I said, I waited 1 1/2 years until I bought my first shortboard to even try a waterstart. It could be argued that if someone pushed me into trying to waterstart too early, it may not have been so incredibly easy to accomplish.

Getting back to gdawson6 and his new adventure into the sport, he's decided how he wants to do it and that's what counts. For him, it's a lesson or two and then working on his own to build the knowledge and skills. It's a great plan, and I'd like to think that his being athletic and quick to learn will accelerate his learning curve. I came over to windsurfing from surfing, so I know that having a comfortable feeling about being on the ocean and riding a board helps immensely in the learning process. During the course of the season, I hope that he comes back and let's us all know how things are going.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
how can those who have never carried through a dream under their own dedication and desire judge those who have. How would they know!

They wouldn't. Exactly my point. How can those who have not both committed themselves to learning windsurfing techniques with quality instruction and without judge whether one is more satisfying?

coachg

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:
How can those who have not both committed themselves to learning windsurfing techniques with quality instruction and without judge whether one is more satisfying?

There is no way to teach yourself to windsurf, than rewind, forget everything you learned, take proper instruction & than finally compare both feelings. There is no way to know if you would feel greater or less with or without proper instruction. The only way to answer the question was to compare those who did it on their own with those who received proper instruction.

What Martens did was research kids like swchandler with kids who played organized sports. He studied kids who were self taught with kids who received proper teaching & kids who received a negative-yelling/preaching-teaching. The study included traditional team sports along with individual sports like tennis, dance, golf & swimming. Across the board he discovered that kids who learned on their own & kids who received positive coaching had the same sense of enjoyment & continued their sport into their life at the same rate. Kids who received negative coaching based on extrinsic motivation-get a scholarship/win individual accolades-didn't have the same sense of enjoyment & quit their sport very early in life.

It may be absurd for me to think that the sense of enjoyment you feel for achieving success on your own is the same feeling as if you received proper instruction based on research, but not as absurd as someone telling me that I would feel better had I learned on my own without research.

On this point both Micahel & I are dead on the same page.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: