myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Huge selection of great B&J boards at swap meets: Part I

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Huge selection of great B&J boards at swap meets: Part I Reply with quote

If all you want is the list of boards, go to the Gorge Swap Meet Board List: Part II thread. This was too big for one post.

I will have a large selection of hand-picked “Gorge” (any bumpy water short of glassy side-off ocean waves) boards for sale at the swaps this summer.

Volumes range from 65 to 96 liters, years from 1999 to 2010 … something for everybody.

Styles from narrow (aka traditional) to shortwide (aka stubbies), mostly trads by choice.

No, their mast tracks are not “forward”. They’re the same as everything else.

Most are in new to nearly new condition, at original weight. Some have cosmetic blems or solid ding repairs. All have good fins and straps and solid, dry hulls.

Almost every one emphasizes superior comfort, speed, control, and carving while fully to over-powered in any amount of chop; that’s why I bought them. Most can be sailed tentatively and will glide down smooth faces with the power shut off, while a few (e.g., the JP Wave) much prefer aggressive powered-up riding. All of them reward, rather than shrink from, hard charging in the straps (you can take a foot out, but there’s no need, even for extreme slashing). Every board here responds instantly and beautifully to back foot, in-the-strap, heel’n’toe steering inputs. Rough terrain + high speeds = just fun -- no fear, no pain -- with these silky smooth control freaks. For guys over 225#, the >90 liter boards might be meat’n’potatoes bump boards, while little people <140 could probably slog or cruise all day on the smaller boards. Any prompt shopper can find an outstanding high-wind or even nuke ride here. The most unique board is the 90L Mark Nelson Wave, a big, gorgeous, versatile, stubbie golden retriever anybody can hop on and enjoy.

“But wave boards are too slow, won’t go upwind, and won’t plane”, you say. Bullcrap, bullcrap, and bullcrap! Put a real fin and sail on them, bolt on some courage, break out of your comfort zone, and expand your skill set immediately. Or you could just buy any of the bigger ones, surf and cruise effortlessly in your familiar mode and haunts, and expand your skills more gradually if preferred. You will probably never outgrow these boards’ capabilities; even that golden retriever has been looped.

Besides their superior performance in rough terrain and their mostly tip-top condition, one thing they have in common is their low prices. For mostly about 125 peanuts (~$75 to $250) with fin and straps -- generally well under ten cents on the dollar and quantity discounts are available -- you can:
replace an old worn-out favorite,
experiment with sinkers much smaller than your daily beast,
avoid demo hassles,
buy a one-board Gorge quiver,
buy a niche or everyday board for any wind range over 15 kts,
and/or
save enough to buy a quiver of good sails for it.
Younger sailors can learn first hand that there’s life beyond the shortwide Stubbies they grew up with.

That’s a bargain!

Each board will have my own honest performance evaluation and most will also have WSMag performance reviews on them.

You can even buy Peter Thommen’s all-time classic, the legendary, silky-smooth, jibe-any-radius, user-friendly Maui Project Wave, in any or all of four or five sizes to cover all your sub-7-meter sailing.

Why do I have so many boards? Because identifying, finding, buying, and sailing the very best boards I can find for my personal performance criteria is a giant hoot, demoing boards from 150 miles away is a giant hassle, and hoot trumps hassle any day. I’ve gotten my money’s worth in hoots from several of these boards in just one day.

Why are they all wave boards, more or less? Because they make INCREDIBLE B&J boards *IF* not too wide (not just my opinion; Boards Mag said it in several pages in 2008.)

Why am I selling so many (shooting for about 20) boards? Because just within the past 8 months my mortality began staring me in the face, and it would be a pity to let these fine boards go unused when someone else can get such fantastic fun out of them for such cheap prices. Most look new … they’re far too good to cram into the CGWA trailer like discarded shoes.

The Part II thread is a board menu. I can only take maybe a dozen at a time, which I will choose myself unless someone wants to request a particular board for any given swap meet.

Wanna try one out? Find me on the river and ask; I’ll usually have some with me. Arrange it ahead of time to increase your odds.

Come buy yourself a giant hoot.

Sorry, Victor; I’m not selling my Power Waves or Maui Force. You and Gary Browne will get dibs when I have to hang them up.

2015 Gorge Swap Meets (all on Sundays at 8:00 AM)
April 26th at Windance
May 17th at Windance
June 28 at the waterfront*
July 5th at Windance
Aug 2 at the waterfront*
Aug 30 at the waterfront*
* Educated guess dates; CGWA hasn’t posted its 2015 schedule yet.

The board list is in the thread titled “Gorge Swap Meet Board List: Part II”

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: