myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fractured ankle
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ekramers

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Fractured ankle Reply with quote

Hi,
A couple days ago I fractured my ankle in three places while windsurfing in the bay in San Francisco. First let me say that we have some amazing people here and that I am very grateful to everyone who helped me make it back to shore.
Since I am going to have plenty of time I wanted to start a discussion on foot straps. I have been windsurfing for 23 years and never had a serious injury. I usually have my straps fairly big, with the back edge of the strap about one inch from the ankle. I don't really remember what happened after I jumped by my foot never came out of the strap after I got thrown forward. A few days prior to the accident I told myself I should make them even bigger...oh well...
Any thoughts on how to avoid this kind of injury? Any footstrap release system out there? Thanks
Eric
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Releasable footstrap systems either release too early, or don't release when it's advisable to release.
If you insist on big hoops, you go narrower than normal for retention, then go really tall so your foot can twist and rotate inside the straps.
Sounds like you had the perfect storm. Just too small to allow your foot to rotate, and needing the wider spread-too small hoop to hold your foot in place for jumps.
Personally, old school rider, I prefer normal 6.25 spread and full on slalom settings for a small hoop, only toes past the strap, for an outboard stance, more speed, higher jumps. Not advisable if you're already jumping high enough.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many, often LONG, discussions of footstrap safety in the archives. You'll find several by searching on key word Lisfranc and checking POSTS (not TOPICS), and there are more. For more but less focused threads, try strap injury and check SEARCH FOR ALL TERMS.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and here's another one...

I landed a jump last Sunday with the board still on edge and it tweeked the ankle of my back foot. It's sore but at least it didn't break.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fractured my ankle exactly one year ago windsurfing. It was a pretty good sized wave that I hit too late. This is a big problem that seems to be getting worse. I'm sorry you'll have to miss most of the season.

I went to PSC on a very large swell in July 9 weeks after injury. I rode some pretty big surf, but didn't go deep into the straps and prayed I wouldn't get hurt again. Mostly rode in pain outside the straps.

We all need to get together to solve this problem. Justina Sniyade semi pro had a horrible foot injury. Look her up. She told me some people she knows are trying to develop a breakaway footstrap.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Virtually every time my feet get hung up in straps is due directly to booties. A couple more degrees water temp and those damned things are history until November. If it weren't for urticaria on my feet from cold water I'd never wear them because of their risk for injury.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right Isobars. I need booties because most of the places I sail are Point or reef breaks with very sharp rocks/shells/coral. Almost impossible to get into the water at low tide at my home break.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I've noticed is that many folks really sink their feet very deep into the footstraps. If the straps go much beyond the ball of the foot, you're asking for a problem, particularly in wave conditions where more radical moves can make it hard to get out quick. For myself, I like having my straps fairly snug where I've got good connection, and they prevent your feet from moving in too deeply into the straps. I have a high middle foot shape, to include very high arches, so it makes it hard to get in too deep. All my useful contact area is really at the ball of the foot and the base of my toe joints. I guess if I was flat footed, I could be more prone to sticking my feet in deeper, and taking a bigger risk of injury.
ramps

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fine line between lack of control and too much foot in the strap. For years I sailed with just my toes poking through, never developed any confidence because I had no control. then I broke 2 metatarsals in my foot, and ever since have gone deep.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it comes down to which part of our lower extremities we want to put at risk ... metatarsals, lower ankle, high ankle ...

When launching (or coming ashore up- or down-wind) in crap that absolutley demands booties, I sometimes stow some minimalist booties in a fanny pack or mast base pouch. On Maui, with its reef and staph threats, I just suck it up, wear booties, and tolerate their impact on my sailing. It comes down to risk management, bigger alligators, and all that.

Last edited by isobars on Sun May 03, 2015 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: