myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lite Weight 5.7-6.0m2 wave/bump jump sail hunt
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most new sails have great wind range these days. Its a matter of taking the time to learn how to rig for the wind your going to use them in. Also to get that range you should use the proper mast that the sail was designed for...I have all Ezzy sails on Ezzy masts and it all works great.. Also staying within one brand allows for correct sizing, performance and feel of your quiver.
One brand 5.8 could bigger or smaller than another. Using several brands might lead to overlaps or gaps in sizing. That said asking about the low end power of each brand is also a bit difficult when taking in all the above factors...If your in windsurfing for the long run, I would pick a sail brand and build your quiver from that brand.. lastly. A few Kg's here or there makes no difference on how the sail feels on the water. My personal concern is durability of my sails. That's why I sail Ezzy.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailwave wrote:

Ezzy Elite, Hot sails Firelight and Maui Sails Ghost rock for weight. Any comments on side on light wind wave attributes for these? Low end power? A comment above from dvCali says good low end power in Hot Sails Firelite.

It is almost impossible to compare. Only way of doing so would be to buy a bunch and spend a summer doing tests!

I owned HSM SuperFreak and Fire, Ezzy Tiger 5.3 and 4.7, and HSM Firelight. For me of the bunch the Firelight has the better low end paired, as I already mentioned, great control. The Ezzy came close but I really did not like how it did not de-power at all, especially if rigged for the low end it pulled and pulled giving no respite. I sold the Tigers after 2 months of use because of that. Compared to the Firelight (or Freaks) it was a very fatiguing sail. However they are clearly the favorites of a number of people in this forum.

Last edited by dvCali on Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are considering a mast as well, some of these sails will not perform to their potential on a mismatched or in comparable mast.

It makes no sense to have a new sail and NOT have the performance intended.

The Elite is nice, in most sizes it wants as in recommended masts that are combo, ie 370bottom 400 top.

The Taka 3 batten feels very similar to the 4batten Elite.

I would NOT pick a sail based on its weight.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
The Ezzy came close but I really did not like how it did not de-power at all, especially if rigged for the low end it pulled and pulled giving no respite. ... they are clearly the favorites of a number of people in this forum.

Much depends on the application and personal preferences. For DTL wave sailing, luffed swell cruising, freestylers, and anybody else who WANTS to depower frequently, that feature is important. Those of us who love power all the time obviously couldn't care less about depowering. If I'm OVERpowered in a gust, there are many solutions not requiring a gelded sail.

Preferences.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

low end power designed by who, where? florida has a whole different definition of low wind vs maui or california.

aerotech airx 5.8 4.0 kg. and any mast seems to work on it too.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
dvCali wrote:
The Ezzy came close but I really did not like how it did not de-power at all, especially if rigged for the low end it pulled and pulled giving no respite. ... they are clearly the favorites of a number of people in this forum.

Much depends on the application and personal preferences. For DTL wave sailing, luffed swell cruising, freestylers, and anybody else who WANTS to depower frequently, that feature is important. Those of us who love power all the time obviously couldn't care less about depowering. If I'm OVERpowered in a gust, there are many solutions not requiring a gelded sail.

Preferences.

Can't agree more: it depends on personal preferences. For powered up windsurfing I have my multi-cam sails. For B&J and swell riding I like to have a very "transparent" sail. One that gives me power when I want it, not all the time with no way to turn it off Shocked
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
isobars wrote:
dvCali wrote:

Preferences.

Can't agree more: it depends on personal preferences. For powered up windsurfing I have my multi-cam sails. For B&J and swell riding I like to have a very "transparent" sail. One that gives me power when I want it, not all the time with no way to turn it off Shocked

As a reference to this post, esp the power on off statement,WHAT IS THE SAIL you refer to?

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Ezzy Legacy.... Its super lite. Stable, and not overpriced!!! Its is the Panther 3 from a few years back. New colors this year.....

Fox, Buxton,OBX has the Elite And Legacy rigged next to each other.
The difference in materials is profound .

capetonian

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of mast do you have, or do you plan to buy new masts too?
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
dvCali wrote:
isobars wrote:
dvCali wrote:

Preferences.

As a reference to this post, esp the power on off statement,WHAT IS THE SAIL you refer to?

Hot Sails Maui Firelight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: