myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Smaller fin for new bump and jump board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

antonputman,

I'm not a fin expert. Just stating that up front.

Everyone's experience with fins is going to be different because of the different water states, types of boards we use & how we sail-stance/setup. swchandler is correct in that slalom fins are not non-maneuverable. How can you compete in a slalom race with a fin that can't jibe. I also have a full set of Tectonics fins from 66 cm down to 30 & all are perfectly maneuverable. But in no way are they as maneuverable as my True Ames Converts. In essence wave fins will get you up wind and slalom fins can maneuver, the only uncounted variable is YOU. What is fine for upwind may be inadequate for you & what is maneuverable for you may be inadequate for me. What we do know is the better a fin is for going upwind the less maneuverable it will be by design.

What does flex do for me? If I'm lazy on flat water & just want to hook in and lay on my back foot a stiff fin planes up much earlier for me. If I pump or wait for more wind a flexible fin get me going just as well. Stiff fins are harder on my ankles & more prone to tail walking for me. Flexible fins give me more control in higher winds with less fatigue. One strange variable for me though is that stiff fins when trimmed correctly are more comfortable in bad chop. In certain setups it allows me to keep the nose of my board higher so the chop hits farther back on the board. It sounds strange but for me in bad chop if the board nose is trimmed higher & kept there the ride is softer as less of the board is hitting the chop and the part that is hitting is usually where the vee shape starts.

That is my experience based on where & how I sail.

Coachg
adywind

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think not bearing away easily is a fin issue. It is rather a long water line issue-it's a big board after all. My Kode 86 turns on a dime with its Freemove 26cm fin, my 9' Windsup takes forever to turn even with its tri-fin 19/2x10 setup.
Try placing the mast foot back of center-especially with smaller sails. Moving the straps farther back /if any holes left may help also/.
I wouldn't put any smaller then 30 cm fin on a 115L board-nothing worse then constant spinouts IMO.
PS: actually a good idea is to start with your rigs first. Some extreme rig trims can develop specific pull tendencies: like the sail being too bagged out or the harness lines having too wide of a spread; too forward or too much back.
Do you feel like you have too much pressure on your back foot?

Last edited by adywind on Sat May 09, 2015 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Smaller fin for new bump and jump board Reply with quote

antonputman wrote:

But a board I could use in 30 knots winds with my 4.7 Ezzy Wave. This combo works fine and feels balanced.
The only problem I have, and I think it must be the 34cm MFC FREEWAVE fin, is that when going back out again upwind I can't bear away easily, the board keeps luffing me up.

I think I need a smaller fin for those conditions. I have an old Naish 28cm fins from a (Vector 9Cool and I thought I was set but now just looking at them on on top of the other, I don't see much difference between 34cm - 28cm.
Should I maybe get a MFC FREEWAVE 28 cm?

A few thoughts: A 4.7 on that board is out of its sweet spot, so you're not likely to ever get it dialed in, though you can improve things.

The 28cm fin may not look that different to you, but it will produce more controlled results, and you already have the fin.

In my mind the cost of a new fin is a significant fraction of the cost of a used board in the 90 liter range, which would work much better for you than a finned-down 115 in 4.7 conditions. I would save my money towards the next board. Try borrowing a smaller fin

Lastly, if you can't get the board to bear off, it's most likely your technique. You've got to be really on your game to pilot that 115 in 30 knots (unless you weigh 240 lbs).

Rig your smaller fin and try that first. Don't worry that it doesn't appear to be much smaller.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if one is super lit, moving the base back will make the fin lift harder,

also, flexier fins make the ride more physical, not less. i was frustrated in the reviews that ws mag gave lots of boards over the years. i would stick a slightly smaller and stiffer fin in lots of these boards that were labelled as "flighty" to find another 5-10 knots of extra wind range and comfort thru chop.

if you are super lit, base forward a few cm's. maybe boom up one or two to keep the boom height right. makes the fin not bite so hard and drives the nose down a bit.

getting splashed by the bow wake? board seems to wallow too much? base aft a bit to quite a lot. makes the fin bite and lift the hull. trial and error will help most. 3 goes on a new board may not have been enough to dial it in.

if given a choice between a 34 stiffer fin, and a 32 cm flexy, i would choose the stiffer. opposite would apply if i am barely powered. i would choose the flexy smaller fin vs the larger stiff.

boards most often transformed by this trim in my testing: hifly madd 165. it wallowed with base in the middle. everyone that came in with an initial mope was coached to move the base all the way back. they came back smiling, every time. case of boards that had base too far back were usually JP'S. base all the way fwd, much rangier performances.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always presumed B&J includes lots of turning/slashing/transitions ... stuff that strongly favors shorter, wavier, flexier fins. After all, most of my shorter, wavier Curtis fins say it right on the fin: "Bump and Jump". Their even wavier surf fins say "Surf", and their straighter fins say "Freeride". Why would we burden a board bred for powerful slashing and big jumps with a fin bred to drag race in marginal wind where early planing is a requirement?
coachg

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Why would we burden a board bred for powerful slashing and big jumps with a fin bred to drag race in marginal wind where early planing is a requirement?

I believe someone once said "choices." Or was it preferences?

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But "choices" or "preferences" presumes "informed". So many people who grew up with long straight fins simply aren't informed of the place shorter wavier fins have and just figure that wave fins are either passe or limited to big ocean waves. Does someone who's trying to force-fit a racy fin onto a board designed for B&J without trying both fall into that category?
coachg

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So “many people who prefer long, straight racy fins “are uninformed? Isn’t that rather presumptuous?

Besides, the Starship is an all around freeride board so putting a racy fin on it to make it go faster is no burden at all. Not my choice for that board but surely not an uniformed choice.

Coachg
whitevan01

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to Naish's website, the Starship is for bump and jump/onshore wave.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Starship is one board that can do just about anything in flatwater, bump & jump or waves. The Starship was designed for early planing, thrilling straight-line speed and easy, yet exciting, maneuverability. It rides super smooth in a wide range of conditions and allows riders the freedom to progress their skill level.
Sizes: 90, 100, 115

Copied & pasted from the Naish website. Also note, the board comes with outboard footstrap positions.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: