myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kids rig?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Kids rig? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Thinking of getting a rig for my son. He is almost 8, an average size kid. Not sure what size rig would be suitable for him to use on a lake.
I saw some chinook rigs, which come with 2 sails (1.8 and 2.0 set or 2.0 and 2.5 set).

Does anyone want to part with a kid's rig(s) no longer in use?
Should be able to pick it up in ME, VT, NH, MA.

Thanks.

Andrei.
BoomBra

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my son was 8 (he's now 10), the 2.0 was a good fit. Never seen the Chinook sails in person but we really like the North DriveGrom. The sails are well built and still very light.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrei,

Assuming 8-10 mph winds a 50 lb kid would use a 1.0, 75 lb kid 2.0 & 100 lb kid a 3.0 on average. Wind & student strength will vary so adjustments as required. More wind requires smaller sails so if it goes over 10 mph a 100 lb kid would be put on a 2.5 or 2.0.

My school uses the Chinook rigs and they are very good. Light, durable & easy to use. Basically they are RDM masts with RDM extensions and anodized aluminum booms.

Coachg
LUCARO

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 good options here

http://www.ezzy.com/sails/kids-rigs/

http://www.hotsailsmauishop.com/youthpower.aspx
outhaul

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Phil at Maui Sails. Sometimes they have used Inspire sails available at a good price. It's a nice durable Dacron sail.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sort of depends on your sons desire to sail. I got a 2.2 Mistral Goofy sail for my son when he was 7 he weighed about 60lbs. I had a Preister 9ft !00lt board that he really liked.

The sailing venue was the obx. I showed him the basics in 3-7mph winds. He was really determined and was planning around in a couple of days. I know by the next year when he was 8 I rigged a Ezzy 3.7 SE and he had no problem using it in 10-15.

I remember there was a day that he was the only one out sailing. People on both sides of our rental just watched him. Pretty sure he was on the water a good 10hrs with a few small water breaks.

It was really great watching him take to the sport.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: