myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is this a good deal for windsurfing set?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisPamietaeVPo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject: Is this a good deal for windsurfing set? Reply with quote

Hey,
I am interested in getting into the sport, and on craigslist I found someone selling a set. I sent him a email offering 400, and he replied back saying the lowest he would go is 500, for now. He mention he would lower it in a few weeks. Would $500 for all that be a good deal, or should I wait? I was going to come back and say 450-475.
I found another set, comes with two boards for 300, but he said it is 25 years old.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/spo/5040310597.html
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a good deal for windsurfing set? Reply with quote

It depends on what you weigh. that set would be good for someone
up to maybe 160 lbs, and the sail is really too big to learn with.

-Craig

6AD2B4C5-0FD8-4704-8F2E280A8273D710 wrote:
Hey,
I am interested in getting into the sport, and on craigslist I found someone selling a set. I sent him a email offering 400, and he replied back saying the lowest he would go is 500, for now. He mention he would lower it in a few weeks. Would $500 for all that be a good deal, or should I wait? I was going to come back and say 450-475.
I found another set, comes with two boards for 300, but he said it is 25 years old.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/spo/5040310597.html
npiankov

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This set is not bad. The sail is from the 90s, so about 20 y.o. as well, the board is newer. You may benefit from a smaller sail and a bigger board the first 2-3 times out, but after that, with some persistence, learning on this for the first year or two is just fine. $500 may be a bit too much for the equipment, but $400-450 would be about right.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally weigh over 100 kilos and started shortboarding with a 160 liter board.
150 would have done the job just fine
so, as long as you are under 100 kilos and semi-fit that is a nice kit
would be nice to get it all under the $500 mark as stated

all depends on your weight, athleticism and where you gonna sail - light wind, chop, etc
ChrisPamietaeVPo

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thank you for the advice . I weigh about 145 pounds and I would say I am pretty fit, I do alot of cycling. As for where I would be sailing, there is a big lake near me, so mostly there as I start but later probably in the ocean. There is a nice bay where people go kitesurfing.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as most have said, it seems to be a pretty good deal for $500ish & that board will be just fine for someone weighing 145lbs, grab a cheap smaller sail to start on. Good luck
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect setup for an athletic beginner and the price is fair. There’s not much there that will survive your first upgrade but that will only come once you’ve gotten past the basics and this will be a versatile setup to get you planing, jibing and tacking, using harness and foootstraps. Once you’re proficient you won’t use the centerboard much but it’s very nice to have when learning or when the wind drops.
ChrisPamietaeVPo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent him a another offer for 450, he told me he would accept if no one gives a better offer in a week.

There is another set selling for 300, includes more stuff, the drive is farther, 40 miles vs 20 miles for the first set.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/spo/5036190498.html

What do you guys think?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gear in the second ad is quite a bit older. The Westwind board is almost unsailable with modern sails, because the mast track is so far forward (I owned this board, or one just like it, a few years back, and gave it away for free).
The HiFly could be sailable if it includes the daggerboard and fin.

You probably would not use the dry suit - it's too warm already, and you'll probably stop sailing before it gets cold enough to use it again. I would not trust an old dry suit, anyway.

Besides fin and daggerboard, make sure that the mast foot (or feet) and extension are included. Even then, $300 seems too high.
Bigwave65

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure keep with the 1st set up that other gear looks pretty old & spent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: