myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best 8.0 sail for planing in marginal winds.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
What comes to mind is he. Said he is getting a 8.5 Lion.

Course theLion and Retro take/ want 490 masts, which I understood didn't fit into the Mini.

No, the 490 mast fits inside the MINI, just barely. The advantage of the 8.5 Lion is that it will work with the same boom that I use for my 6.5 and 5.5; the old Pryde V8 will not work with that boom.

I suspect the Lion 8.5 will be easier to handle overpowered than the V8, so i may be able to make the switch to 6.5 directly. Time will tell.

I will give a report when I have had a chance to evaluate.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mis-read the fit into the Mini , it doesn't fit 'easily'

8.5 to 6.5, may work better than 6.5 to 8.5

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As U2 says, matching up different makers sails and masts can be a minefield.

A priceless advantage for those of us who must spend carefully (close out deals of older stock etc) is having as a friend a main dealer, who is an expert wave sailor with extensive knowledge of what can actually work on what, regardless of all the techno-crap. (And an understanding of what my limitations as a sailor are. We aren't all world champion sailors, regardless of what our ego may claim!)

Nobody, however experienced, can ever know it all, but it will be a sad day when we are coerced by the marketing techno-crap to follow the 'only way forward' (read fashion, as has often been the case in the past -too many examples to bother listing).

There is an assumption in many that every windsurfer should continually strive to attain the highest performance level possible. Have any of these people ever stopped to question WHY? When did it become a sin just to ENJOY the whole experience, at, say, a mere 7/10's effort? Aren't those who follow that path the ones who actually last the course, and remain in the sport for life?

So, my rigs may be all a little bit mis-matched, but so what! On any satisfaction scale, I'm quite well up, thank you! (And not a techno-crap sprouter!)
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, for thousandth time, rdm's do not reflex back to a more aerodynamic wing shape as quickly as sdm's. therefore, when a gust hits, the sail becomes more like a flag, and less like a wing for a longer period of time. all flags do is create drag. wings lift.

most classic clinical proof was when a fellow tester said this about a 6.4 bump and jump sail with one tube batten during a test one year, "i don't like that sail, it's too heavy feeling." a brand was gracious enough to send us 2 identical sails. one with an rdm, the other with a race sdm. when i switched with him, and he sailed the sdm one, guess what his new impression of the sail was?

if one can not tell the difference between the 2 types of masts because of limited experience, then that's okay. but when it has been proven, over and over, that one has no experience, then one should stop arguing about it. guess why so few pro's participate on these forums? clueless folks spreading cluelessness about like a bad disease.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the point of D. Ezzy perfectly:big guy on a 80 cm wide board who wants to stay on the plane as much as possible in the lulls -solution Lion 8.5.
Ok but you have already the V8 which is more or less the same and you wanted a sail that doesn't rest on your cars dashboard and feels light in transitions. Am I missing something ?! My solution was the lighter Cheetah that depowers as soon as you sheet out and gives you a boost by sheeting in to accelerate quickly albeit with a bit less stability /and overlaps nicely with the 6.5/. My solution to stay longer on a plane is a good size freerace fin that will enhance the planing and upwind ability of your board and preventing spinn outs at the same time. But of course who the hell am I, right?

Last edited by adywind on Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
I get the point of D. Ezzy perfectly:big guy on a 80 cm wide board who wants to stay on the plane as much as possible in the lulls -solution Lion 8.5.
Ok but you have already the V8 which is more or less the same and you wanted a sail that doesn't rest on your cars dashboard and feels light in transitions. Am I missing something ?! My solution was the lighter Cheetah that depowers as soon as you sheet out and gives you a boost by sheeting in to accelerate quickly albeit with a bit less stability. My solution to stay longer on a plane is a good size freerace fin that will enhance the planing and upwind ability of your board and preventing spinn outs at the same time. Oh I got it, like they say in "Game Of Thrones" : the name is everything!

Very valid point. I asked David if a Cheetah 8.0 would have the same low end grunt of a Zephyr 7.5, and his response was that they would be pretty close. I have a Zephyr 7.5, which i have used on the Firemove 122 - and it worked. I also have a Lion 7.5, which is a nice sail, but it may not have as much low end as the Zephyr due to the added boom length of the Zephyr.

David said that if I wanted more grunt than the Zephyr, the Lion 8.5 would be the call.

If the Lion is too big and cumbersome for the Firemove, I will try to trade down to the Cheetah 8.0 and try that. Yes, that means spending more $$$ to try to find the "elegant" solution; but long-term the elegant solution is what I am after - even if it means not bothering to rig in some marginal conditions.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the GOT reference a bit overly dramatic and decided to remove it, but you were too quick Wink
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
Ok but you have already the V8 which is more or less the same and you wanted a sail that doesn't rest on your cars dashboard and feels light in transitions. Am I missing something ?! My solution was the lighter Cheetah that depowers as soon as you sheet out and gives you a boost by sheeting in to accelerate quickly albeit with a bit less stability /and overlaps nicely with the 6.5/. My solution to stay longer on a plane is a good size freerace fin that will enhance the planing and upwind ability of your board and preventing spinn outs at the same time. But of course who the hell am I, right?

By the way, I respect your comments, and you may well be 100% correct in your advice that the 8.0 Cheetah as being the largest sail that I would want to use on the Firemove.

As to fins, I have a bunch of sizes of weed fins for the board, as the channel fills up with weeds when the water warms up in early July. I am going to buy a couple of Black Project large weed fins for testing against the True Ames weed fins that are popular around here.
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the largest .You and your board can handle 9.0 or more with big enough fin. The 8.0 Cheetah just looks like the best compromise to suit your requirements. You can't have it all.

Last edited by adywind on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you disclose your entire board and sail quiver currently so we can think of ways to streamline it ? Trying to look at the whole picture by having only bits and pieces of information and guessing the rest is too confusing and can be right out misleading. You probably have done it already somewhere in the forum, but my memory is pathetic and I realy would prefer not to dig thru old posts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: