myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RRD Longrider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gustavoluzardo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: RRD Longrider Reply with quote

I just got a new board, RRD LNGRDR

I do have a problem though, never seen this... the center fin... when fully deployed, it just does not click or snap solid, it is just there and with a simple blow, it gets retracted back into the enclosure. I can push that fin back in with my pinky, at the base!!!, where there is no favorable lever.

So the question is, is there some special trick to keep it deployed??, or is it that somehow it stays open in spite of water pressure pushing it shut??
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The daggerboard in this video looks fairly standard, is yours different in some way?
http://youtu.be/XTEgWgehqJ0
PS: I found a reference to the daggerboard issue in the blog of J Douglass /he may chime in at some point/ and there is a picture of someone sealing/reinforcing the gasket with Gorilla tape /there is a clear Gorilla tape which will be almost invisible /.
http://jimbodouglass.blogspot.com/2008/04/kona-one-vs-rrd-longrider-vs-kona-115.html?m=1
Do you really need a daggerboard? Is all this long rail not enough to make a good upwind drive? What about a longer fin? My first and my second boards had daggerboards, but I never found any use for them .
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliger dagger has screws on either side. they are for expansion bushings. tighten the screws gradually. they strip fairly easily.

too loose, the dagger may self deploy. too tight, hard to get dagger down (last bit, in theory only, the bushing idea far from ideal.) more than likely, too tight, esp too fast, strip the screws out.

long rider is a great board. you will enjoy.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gustavoluzardo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adywing: I just bought it and have not been out, so I am not sure how it is going to behave, but I imagine that in marginal conditions I might need it. I was putting it together and noticed the problem. Thnxxxxxxxs x the tip of the Gorilla tape... that will come in handy to avoid the water fountain issue and to create a little more friction.

I would be surprised though, if the peeps on RRD have not fixed a well known problem such as water storming thru the gasket.

Jingerbritsen, your are correct in that there are a couple of screws that as they get tighter the rubber bushing bulges out and creates a little more friction... I tried and the friction is modest at best. I will make certain to be cautious and avoid stripping the screw slots. Better even, I figure I can make my own little bushings, just shaped to create the appropriate friction and just "lightly" screwed in place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: