myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Help me jibe overpowered
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollerrider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep short boards require a lot of skill in gusty wind. Make sure you don't slow down before the carve. Right after the carve is started depower the sail by layin it down AND back. Then pick it back up with the front hand and it will immediately flip. Find some slalom video. Its always a laydown. Does not have to be a full blown lay down. Just tilt mast a little and back, then let go with back hand and pull it up with front hand. The flip will happen quickly and will handle high wind better. I'll also do this sub planing too, but quickly to promote a quick sail flip in a chicken jibe.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind that the "lay down" is mostly the result of carving the board. In other words, the mast is pretty much perpendicular to the board, but since the board is tilted + or - 45 degrees in the carve, the sail is much closer to the water and appears that it has been "laid down". Clearly some lay down the sail more than keeping it perpendicular to the board because it's cool looking, but it's not necessary for a good carving jibe. Sheeting in and keeping the sail/boom in line with center line of the board is more important.

Plus, you can't lay it down unless you have the centrifugal force of the carving board moving rapidly through the water.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
I'm not able to lay down the sail as much as I'd like but hopefully soon!

A tip I got decades ago helped me nail the first "recreational" (as opposed to functional) laydown I ever tried, plus a few more that same session, in very rough water (Doug's West on a windy day). He said, I did, and it worked like this: In a high-speed beam reach with the back foot on the lee rail and UNHOOKED, say and do clearly and deliberately (to get the timing right) "Lay it down, pick it up, flip it". No bearing off, no conscious carve, no thinking allowed, just do it as you say it out loud: "Lay it down, pick it up, flip it".

If you think about it, "Flip it" becomes "Eat it", because you'll delay the flip, carve back up into the wind on the exit, and get a face-full of sail. But, hey, you carved the jibe. Next time don't think about it.

Mind you, that was on narrower boards. I don't know how today's potato chips perform in that situation, especially in heavy chop.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
keep in mind the lay down jibe is more of a super lit, narrow board thing.[...]

Yes I understand and is why I focus on picking up as much speed as possible. Same scenario as a downwind 360.

rollerrider wrote:
Yep short boards require a lot of skill in gusty wind. Make sure you don't slow down before the carve. Right after the carve is started depower the sail by layin it down AND back.

Hmm, wow, I had a doubt about raking it back, but it could be my missing element. In this video it's very clear how much it helps (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPrM6VDWEGU).

techno900 wrote:
Keep in mind that the "lay down" is mostly the result of carving the board.[...]

Absolutely, I have been doing "fake laydowns" where my sail is tilted but I have little carving going.

isobars wrote:
In a high-speed beam reach with the back foot on the lee rail and UNHOOKED, say and do clearly and deliberately (to get the timing right) "Lay it down, pick it up, flip it".

Basically exactly this, always start with high speed. Not only did I find that it helps make the sail weigh next to nothing but also secures the rail during carving. If I hit chop with speed, I'll simply well "plane" over it, but if I hit it a touch slower then chances are that the board digs into it, may catch a rail, lose the plane, etc.

I completely agree about narrow boards making it easier such as the Tabou DaCurve (54cm wide) I tried a few months back (http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/board-tests/#2007-Tabou-DaCurve). It was easy to get speed out of it and easy to carve hard.

isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your link:
"Next we have the good ol' 2007 Tabou DaCurve in 85L ... surprise, this board was about to change most of what I thought I knew about shapes... "

Very Happy

Been harping on the comments in that article, and putting my money where my mouth was, for years. It's part of why I own so many boards, virtually ALL narrow (relative to today's standards) wave boards of the same design philosophy as that Tabou.
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few clarifications about why the letdown was created. The first laydown "move" that became well known was initiated by Craig Maisonville, founder and original shaper of Hi-Tech. Craig began to lay the sail down during bottom turns to depower the early wave sails and put a ton of pressure on the leeward rail. He noted that the single or few batten sails of the very early 1980s still had significant depth at the head. Paired with a tight leach, the draft would pull him toward the board's front and made crossing a choppy wave face very difficult. Getting the sail out of the wind became paramount -especially as he gravitated toward driving the bottom turn more off the front foot.

The racing laydown was first widely seen performed by Anders Bringdal in 1990. Anders's boards changed in outline to add more parallel, boxy rails further back with increased flat. At the same time, Gaastra was working with Bruce Peterson for the brand's first loose-leach racing sails. Anders reported that the combination of board changes and the sail's tendency to keep power at the top when bearing away forced him to do the laydown just to manage a turn. He attributed most of the necessity to the boards, not the sails, but noted the sails did have that one issue for a period.

Shortly thereafter and continued through today, the laydown is regularly necessary when sailing only large sails as it gets all that acreage out of the wind and keeps mast foot pressure high and the rail planted when crossing chop during a jibe.

Mike Fick is right, the laydown is a one-two-three move. If you try to behold your own magnificence you tend to round up after the flip. Use the laydown to help you develop great front foot pressure and increase mast base pressure, both of which together will set the rail firmly right at the maximum curve of the board (maximum combined rail and rocker curve).

A hero-laydown jibe in flatwater is a great place to see why you don't want to keep the sail down to long even if you physically are able. Plus the hero jibe is kinda fun if not efficient.

manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info.

It also helps with clearing the visibility!
Unfortunately in side-on conditions often times it kills too much power and slows down bottom turn speed.

One of the elements mentioned earlier is to get on my toes on both feet. I usually do this at the bottom turn but not at the jibe I don't think (no strap to lean against). This really gets the rail hooked in.

Also, I have noticed that I'm jibing without crouching down so much. Basically the board's angle and rail take care of the chop slicing thanks to its speed.

This one is neat:

manuel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject: Possible big finding Reply with quote

It may not be true of all boards but trying to plane out of jibes on my Quad was difficult until... I placed my rear foot farther forward where it touches the front strap pad area.

All of a sudden the board kept its plane way better even at slower speeds and my jibes gained fluidity.

Now I have been jibing with my rear foot back for a long time so it'll take me some adjusting on my stance.

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Possible big finding Reply with quote

manuel wrote:

It may not be true of all boards but trying to plane out of jibes on my Quad was difficult until... I placed my rear foot farther forward where it touches the front strap pad area.

All of a sudden the board kept its plane way better even at slower speeds and my jibes gained fluidity.

Now I have been jibing with my rear foot back for a long time so it'll take me some adjusting on my stance.

The back foot further back worked on older, longer boards. For most boards made in the last dozen years the feet parallel (front foot in the strap, back foot several inches behind the opposite side front strap) is what fully engages the carving rail and maintains nose to tail board trim.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier, I wrote:
As for Dan's "I invite anyone to try going from a beam reach and turning downwind without involving the rig [i.e., using only toe pressure]. It cannot be done without getting thrown forward." ...
I carve virtually instantaneous turns of 45 to >90 degrees, at maximum speed, in ANY amount of chop or swell, literally thousands of times every day, often with my fin(s) out of the water and usually with a curtain of spray flying, with only toe pressure from my back foot in its strap. If I want to increase that "45 to >90" to "90 to 180" and/or generate even greater g forces, I'll add some rig "English" in this order or priority:
1. Pull with the back hand.
2. Tip the mast into the turn.
3. Also rake it forward.
I don't buy boards that are not made to do that, so it's easy.

Here's an example showing me using just toe pressure to cut back from close to the wind to downwind ... a slash of at least 90 degrees, shot by Iwasphotographed.com (I bought the photo, but it’s easier to post from his site). Notice a few things:

A. All I used was a very small piece of swell or chop. (It can be done on flat water, but it's more fun off some swell.)

B. The sail is sheeted out (not in, as in #1 above), because I was ripping upwind. If I had used the sail to accomplish the slash, it would have been oversheeted (#1). The mast is tilted into the turn to maintain balance in the high-g slash, not forward as in #3 to boost the turn. Adding "English" … “involving the sail” as you put it … as in #s 1, 2, and 3 just makes things happen faster; i.e., it's an option, not a mandate.

C. Both feet are in their straps and my hands are in their normal sailing position on the boom, ready to completely reverse directions a second later if the mood strikes me.

D. I think I’m hooked in -- I can’t tell from the photo -- simply because I usually stay hooked in until my cutbacks/OTLs go past dead downwind.

Oh, hell ... I give up. I can find no way to post the photo without first uploading it to a website. I don't have time for this shit.

Why is this relevant to Manuel’s thread? Because it shows that, at least outside officially sanctioned IYRU events, “rules” are suggestions at best … just one option among many.

[I have no idea what led to this photo being posted. I saw no indication anywhere that it had worked.]

60613239-Arlington+to+Roosevelt+Monday+June+1%2C+2015-2230.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  429.11 KB
 Viewed:  14144 Time(s)

60613239-Arlington+to+Roosevelt+Monday+June+1%2C+2015-2230.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: