myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dis repect at Kalmus Beach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:35 am    Post subject: Dis repect at Kalmus Beach Reply with quote

My buddy from $#@%&* (a Sovereign Nation). Was verbally assaulted while trying to de-rig his Amazing 4.2 EZZY Elite sail yesterday after performing his cycle (or routine if you will). He finally got his venue at Kalmus after years of searching.
Is this what the sport has come to? He now has hurt feelings. Remember people words can hurt. He was de-rigging in the parking lot as he was afraid to go in "THE FOREST" (As we all know what happens in there). Shocked
This aggression will not stand! Man......

jpeter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: parking lot Reply with quote

No rigging in the parking lot was a strict rule 20 years ago. I see people do it every time I sail there so don't know why someone was playing cop.

Only safe place to rig outside of the fairy forest is "Kooks Corner" (grass near the pumping station)

Glad you got wind, It was so light at Matunuck that SUP surf was good.

Jay
outcast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at least he didn't drive to Kalmus trying to find camaraderie, find none, and then go to Barnstable harbor and have the carbon extension snap 2 miles out with a 8.7....then spend 2 hours paddling against the incoming tide knowing that at the end of the paddle a pissed off spouse was waiting and feeling like she was stood-up.

Seriously with the rigging in the parking lot?
There were like 5 cars there, and 3 Ukrainian tourists

Bill is too nice (but he could snap....peeps should be careful)

wavedawg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunate that the visitor was not given a warmer welcome on his first visit to Kalmus, especially after he drove hundreds of miles to sail there. The 20+ year old rule is a bit antiquated, since the parking lot is no longer stuffed to the gills with windsurfers. Plenty of room for everyone, so let's just ABIDE !

On another note, a long-time Kalmus sailor caught a dawn patrol session earlier this week, then took a break and left his board & fully-rigged sail on the grass at "kooks corner"(by the pumping station) before leaving to do an errand. When he returned an hour or so later, all of his gear was gone!!!!
He called local police, and went looking for his missing gear. A very short time later a stranger showed up at the beach and approached someone who was there: "Are you a windsurfer?" "No, but my husband is - he's out there sailing right now." "I have some gear...." "Oh, I know whose gear it is - I'll call him right now so he can get it back from you." At this point, the owner of the gear returned and was introduced to the stranger, who explained that he had picked up the board & sail because two suspicious-looking guys were looking them over, and he wanted to make sure they weren't going to steal the gear(Uh Huh??!!). He then led the relieved sailor to his house on Oak Neck Rd., Hyannis(off of Sea St.), where the sailor was happily re-united with his missing equipment. The sail was still fully-rigged, and it became apparent that he had no clew as to how to take apart a rig. He watched intently as the sailor quickly de-rigged his sail, asking questions as he observed. When asked how he got the gear to his house, he said he put the rig on top of his jeep & drove it home like that.

A conversation with police revealed that this individual was known to them, and they would be visiting him to "close the case."

If you ever have gear stolen from Kalmus Beach, make Oak Neck Rd. your 1st stop, right after you call the police.

A happy ending to this story, but a useful reminder as well - don't leave your unattended gear in the parking lot where someone can stuff it the back of a van in just a few seconds.

One last note: standup paddleboarding is now permitted at Kalmus, but you must launch in the windsurfing area, stay out of the swim area, and get off the water when wind speeds become greater than approx. 10mph
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope you are joking, Jerry.

Your buddy acted selfish and inconsiderate. The issue was NOT that he de-rigged in the parking lot. The issue was that he stored and de-rigged his gear exactly where everyone else who parked in this section of the parking lot carries their gear through to the grassy area in the back. He pretty much blocked the entire area with his board an his sail. He did not even bother to move out of the way when I was walking through there carrying my board and sail.

While I was trying to squeeze through there, I did inform him that the area where he derigged and stored his gear was considered a walkway, where people carried their gear through. I also suggested that he should derig about 10 meters to the side, where there was plenty of space, and he would not have been in anybody's way.

There was absolute no verbal assault. The exact words where "This is kind of a walkway where people carry their gear through. You may want to derig on the other side of your van". If anyone was disrespectful, it is your friend. He can't really expect locals to be happy if he picks the one spot to derig where he is in everyone's way.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavedawg wrote:
Unfortunate that the visitor was not given a warmer welcome on his first visit to Kalmus, especially after he drove hundreds of miles to sail there.

Funny you say that, Mike, after you told me earlier he had come for the SUP event. Since you were standing there chatting with him, you could just suggested to him to move over a few meters to derig. There are plenty of windsurfers who use the grassy area there for rigging. Perfectly safe if you don't venture to deep into the enchanted forest.
WaterKook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes just being funny.
No foul. I would have used much harsher words if it was me carrying my rig and some A-hole was in the path. Wink Very Happy
Just trying to bring some life to this boring run on the forum.

crazyfingers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

jerry-troll.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.95 KB
 Viewed:  18692 Time(s)

jerry-troll.jpg

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wavedawg wrote:
standup paddleboarding is now permitted at Kalmus, but you must ... get off the water when wind speeds become greater than approx. 10mph

Oh, no ... not THAT again! Remember when many sites banned WSers as soon as the wind gusted to 20 mph?
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, I got trolled by Jerry! How funny Laughing ! In my defense, I am still recovering from the effects of my deal with the devil - trading great wind for 3 weeks for Nina's company. Not planning to do that again!

Thanks to wavedawg for taken the initiative to get SUPing allowed at Kalmus. I was at the beach last summer when the life guards sent SUPers away, enforcing the existing rules. Nobody liked that (certainly not the two windsurfers who were out doing light wind freestyle).

Maybe isobars is also trolling, but I'll explain the wind rule, anyway. Most SUPers will not go out when winds are strong enough for windsurfers to plane, so the rule is not needed for them. But with SUPing allowed, there will be some tourists who rent SUPs and think they absolutely have to go out, no matter what the wind and chop is. They'd get in the way of windsurfers, and probably end up loosing control in the swim area, creating all kind of problems. The 10 (or 15) mph rule will give life guards and the infamous self-policing Kalmus windsurfers grounds to keep these folks on shore. And this very thread illustrates quite nicely that tourists may need to be told the rules Twisted Evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: