myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
RRD Firemove where to buy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jejensen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: RRD Firemove where to buy? Reply with quote

I am interested in getting a firemove e-tech v2 in 140L or 130L and I am having a hard time finding a place to buy one. Can someone point me in the right direction. isthmussailboards.com has a 130L but I was originally looking for a 140L.

Thanks
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI.. These boards are big for the stated volume....I had the 110 Atom IQ..
Great board but much bigger that the 110 of standard freeride board..
Would have been happier on the 100... Felt like a 125 liter board. If your not sure 130 or 140, I would think going smaller... Just my experience. I now sail a JP Magic Ride 104 for my lite wind board 6.5/7.5 and it works great.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: RRD Firemove where to buy? Reply with quote

Greetings Je,

Don't know about the e-Tech, but you could try Windance, they are a dealer.

http://www.windance.com/RRD-%2715-Fire-Move-Wood-102-WSWB4410102/

I'll be swinging by there in about a week or so, and I could ping you, if
they have stock, or you could just call them and ask them. Let me know.

Good Luck,

-Craig

jejensen wrote:
I am interested in getting a firemove e-tech v2 in 140L or 130L and I am having a hard time finding a place to buy one. Can someone point me in the right direction. isthmussailboards.com has a 130L but I was originally looking for a 140L.

Thanks
jejensen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RRD Firemove where to buy? Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Novaan, I'm on the fence with which size to go with. I have been sailing a Fanatic Viper 85 for several years now and want to move on to something smaller to try to advance my skills. I weigh 220lbs and I haven't mastered the water start yet. I am torn whether to go smaller knowing that I'll get it at some point or larger so I can still uphaul if needed in the mean time.

Thanks for the link cg, I'll give em a ring.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd wind Maui should have them
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, its a tuff call. A lot depends where you are going to use the board and how much wind your going to get. It use to be ( before the wide freemove boards) that you go on the bigger side if you weren't sure. You get more time on the water that way. I would bet you could uphaul the 130 with a little practice. Depends on the water state. Water starts are the key to everything windsurfing. Once mastered you can sail smaller gear and go anywhere the wind blows. It really is very easy to do once you get it. All that said, when you are learning this sport you don't want your gear to hold you back. That can work two ways. Go way to small and you will never get time on the water with it and get frustrated. Go to big and you won't "need" to learn water starts or high wind skills. Windsurfing is a progression. What feels to small or to windy at first, quickly becomes the norm. The first day out on a small board and a 5.0 seems impossible. A year or so down the road it seems pretty tame. I have been windsurfing for 35 years. My local spots are pretty tame. 5.5 and a Magic Ride 104. When I go to the Gorge, it seems crazy to be on a 80 liter board and a 4.0 the first day. After a week it seems like the norm. I would recommend that you go with the smallest board that you can uphaul. If the 130 is tippy and a bit difficult to uphaul but doable, than that's the one. You don't really want that new 2 grand board to sail just like the old one and work in the same conditions. Secondly take a vacation to a windsurf resort that has smooth warm water and stronger winds than you are use to. World Winds in Bird Island TX is a fantastic place to advance your skills and demo boards. Take a water start lesson. Lots of other great places. Be sure to go in the windy season to insure better chances of wind. Both South Padre and North Padre (Bird Island) work In the spring and fall but not the summer. April and October being peek times. World Winds has the best rental gear anywhere. You could consider going there before you invest in a new board...Just a thought...I'll be in South Padre in October... Give me a call if you would like more input 805 219 0435. Easier than typing.....Tony
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Andy at Wind NC

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
jejensen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Tony, that makes a lot of sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: 130 Reply with quote

I own a 130. I weighed 215 before donning a wetsuit etc. and could up haul the board easily enough. I've lost a few pounds since the purchase, and continue to love the board. I'm of intermediate skills.
Sailworld owner Jim Ballantyne can set you up. Andy is a great resource as well.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all - congrats on the next step down/up !!

personally have NOT tried the freemove "chip boards"
seems you either love em or hate em ...
would be good to try one if you can ...

the 140 is 90 cm wide and slated for 7.5 to 10-oh
that's a FreeFormula for me - 12 to 16 knot winds
BIG sail + fin required for lower range

the 130 is 85 cm wide and slated for 7.2 to 9.5
that's a BIG freeride to me - 14 to 18 knots about

the 122 is 79 cm wide and slated for 6.8 to 9.0
now THAT's a free-ride board to me !!
about 16 to 20 knots, but a bit wide for choppy water
even IF they say this board can handle 7-oh, my 79 cm wide freeride has
issues with chop in 7-oh weather - bucking bronco over the chop
not thin enough to slice and not heavy enough to sink lower

have you considered second hand Shark or other free-ride??
there are still some Sharks on the market {pardon the pun}
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: