myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pt. Isabel Work Party II - Friday, June 19th @ 8:15 AM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Pt. Isabel Work Party II - Friday, June 19th @ 8:15 AM Reply with quote

To all Pt. Isabel sailors,

Many participants from last year's effort have signed up for another launch improvement party this coming Friday, June 19th. Low tide is at 8:41 AM at -0.75 ft.

We expect to arrive around 8:15 AM to take advantage of that low tide and hopefully minimal chop. Probable duration will be around two hours.

That timing should allow us to do some boulder shifting at the outside water-line area of the existing graveled launch ramp. Other challenges may include upgrading the existing concrete steps and the "southern" secondary launch area (still mainly a dream). Join us if you can!

Photos from last year's inaugural event can be seen at the following iWind Forum post: 10 Apr 2014 20:59 Post subject: Pt. Isabel Launch Work-Party April 19th

Equipment suggestions are in the initial announcement email copied below.

Cheers, David & Carol

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Folks,

Season appears to be ramping up. Although I missed yesterday’s winds, from the graphs they were sustained and very good.

Carol and I have started planning another PI launch improvement party. After minimal discussion, we picked next Friday, June 19th as the optimum day given tides, park usage, etc.

Low tide that morning is at 8:41 AM and is at -0.75 ft.

I’d suggest we plan to rendezvous at 8:15 AM - coffee drinks in hand?

Although it is a weekday, losing another day to tide shift would give us even less access plus add many more curious park visitors (and dogs) to the mix. Moving the day earlier in the week would result in even earlier low tide which becomes more challenging for later risers.

Much of our work from last year remains in place. However, the “gravel path” is gnarlier, the steps are again a challenge, and there are some larger boulders at the low tide line across the front of the gravel path. These weren’t dealt with last year mostly due to tide not permitting access. I’m also still interested in improving the initial effort to create a second more southerly launch point - coming down the same steps and then turning left about 10 yards.

Tools/Equipment: What seemed to work are the following: breaking bars; sledge hammers; crowbars; pickaxes; pry-bars; shovels; garden boots (heavy duty); and gloves (essential for barnacle protection, etc).

We again hope to keep activities “off the radar” and/or of minimal impact so as not to trigger “official" concerns.

If there’s sufficient interest, I’d post it on iWindsurf forum. Please feel free to share with other PI sailors as desired.

Please also RSVP if you plan to join us this coming Friday, June 19th.

Cheers, David
windsrf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recycle reminder.....
windsrf

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks,

Another successful work party last Friday at Pt. Isabel.

We had a great crew (I’m missing one email address though?).

Photos below include some Before & After shots to convey the upgrades - captions with most. I’m also including some shots from last year to show what happened over the year to our first efforts.

Meanwhile, season seems to be kicking in nicely, if not quite the steady winds of years past.

Cheers, David

P.S. I’ll try to post this on iWind Forum, but usually have problems managing the photo attachments, etc.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Before Shots:

These steps REALLY SUCK!!

<P1120312.jpeg>

…..even though I have FOUR feet and don’t have to carry a windsurfer!

<P1120313.jpeg>

The pic below shows how we'd upgraded them last year. Clearly something needed to be done this time to improve longevity.

<P1100419.jpeg>

Southern Launch - aka “David’s Folly” - note the Pink Rock signpost….

<P1120316.jpeg>

Here’s how that southern path looked after last year’s efforts.

<P1100415.jpeg>

After:

Our Heroic Crew!

<P1120321.jpeg>

Doggie-Step Heaven!

<P1120345.jpeg>

Northern Launch: Note more clearly defined side borders - plus most of the large, hidden rocks now removed from the low tide water line - real fin & ankle busters if you didn’t know they were there. Also, note that the final/lower portion of the path heads more towards SF. This can be confusing when landing if you are trying to walk straight east - you’ll smack into the green/slimy rock projection in the center of this pic.

<P1120328.jpeg>

“Head South at the Pink Rock!” - for those intrepid launchers seeking a more upwind entry (or exit).
Then take a hard right turn…..

<P1120330.jpeg>

Note the new step and Pink Rock further below.

<P1120335.jpeg>

Southern launch pathway - most larger hazardous rocks removed - oh my aching back….

<P1120340.jpeg>

Still too narrow and needing gravel, but walkable with decent booties.

<P1120342.jpeg>

Southern Launch access path still narrow and rock strewn - a work in progress….

<P1120343.jpeg>

Plus tricky to locate and navigate at higher tides!

<P1120348.jpeg>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: