myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
is anything harder than windsurfing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, my first day surfing, I rode 3 waves going right at Inner Pleasure, and I'd never even seen a surfer ride a wave before that day, not live, anyways.
But it took 3 more years and at least 500 days of surfing to even feel comfortable in decent sized Ocean Beach San Francisco waves.
Couldn't windsurf my first day, Rocket 99, 6.1 Windsurfer sail, and gusty NW winds from 12-26 mph at Lake Merced, NW clearing winds. Easy to uphaul and go 20', then get launched, or when leaning back, fall backwards in the lulls.
But, at least I could win a few Santa Cruz Slalom Series races by my third year...around 250 days.
So, in my estimation, windsurfing is twice as easy as surfing. Won a 1-2-3 A combined surf contest in '69, my 4th year of surfing, and placed 6th in 4A.
That would be about equal to placing 3rd overall in the SC Surf Slalom series.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, surfing is significantly tougher to learn than windsurfing. That's because one needs to develop the strength and stamina required to paddle out through the waves and to ultimately catch them. Figure in the crowd and pecking order, and it all adds up to making the sport very intimidating for beginners. I will admit that I couldn't make it out through the waves my first day surfing. On the the hand, my first day of windsurfing was very successful, because I was able to repeatedly go out, tack and return to the original launch.

That said, getting good enough in both sports to command respect is a notable curve. One needs a wealth of tenacity and determination to be a player. Those that don't have those qualities, quickly move on to something much easier like kiting, right?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets say its your first day surfing. Its 2 foot beach break. You know nothing about the sport and you got an old board at a garage sale. No one to help you.. You will most likely get out, ride a wave or two and maybe even stand up..
lets say its your first day windsurfing. Five mph winds and flat lake.. You got some old gear from a garage sale. No one around to help. Who would you think might have more fun? Who would have it easier. I think the windsurfer would be lucky to make it to the water. lets hope he or she got all the parts for the rig. If they did get it all wet, how well would they do.
Most likely, not to good and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have much fun.
learning to surf is way less complicated and much easier to learn...
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s a tough call. I think it is a case by case situation. My nieces & nephews back in Hawaii were surfing before they could walk. Not too many of them were capable at an early age to windsurf as it was far more difficult for them to figure out how to use the wind than ride a wave. Hefting up the rig can also be a chore.

Adults trying learn to surf is a whole different situation as most people tend to put on weight and struggle with the ability to pop up on the board, something easy for kids. The adults figure out the wind quicker & have easier time to pick up the rig.

Some people never figure out the wind & some people will never be able to lift up their body weight easily.

Coachg
justall

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. I would have said ice hockey is comparably difficult ... Have to learn to skate well before even beginning the hockey part.

ESPN did a survey of the most difficult sports: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

They didn't even list windsurfing (unless I'm overlooking it) ... Guess they knew windsurfing is in a difficuly-class of its own.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching Ray Wershing and Russ Francis of the 49'er flail in 3-4' Kelly's mush, I'd say surfing is a whole lot harder than football.
Russ barely got out, and after being washed into the shore 4 times.
Ray did catch one small closeout wave on the inside, his feet 4' apart in a stinkbug stance.
Russ didn't even try to stand up.
They were purported to be surfer's from SoCal.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to have criteria for what is your difficulty. Physical? Mental? Success rate? Number of people who can do it? How long to learn?

For my money this is the most difficult sport, hands down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FHay-Lj0MA

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunch of surfer's from San Francisco, after ONE year of windsurfing, admittedly maybe 80 days in planing conditions, could jibe 90%, ride waves at Waddell and Scotts, tried surfsailing Ocean Beach SF, and were among the best jiber's at Crissy Fields.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I think I know that girl. ;*)

-Craig

zirtaeb wrote:
Crissy Fields.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultimate Fight Club can be pretty tough....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: