myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Blog: possible marine surge Friday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Blog: possible marine surge Friday. Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Since Sunday I have been watching conditions set up for another marine surge. Not positive yet but I there is enough evidence to make a blog worthwhile.

http://blog.weatherflow.com/bay-area-weather-blog-atypical-marine-surge/

This is another atypical very early season marine surge and is very tricky to forecast since it has a cause quite different than out typical post heat wave marine surge.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com

marine surge Friday.gif
 Description:
This animation shows the surface winds.
 Filesize:  1.81 MB
 Viewed:  16279 Time(s)

marine surge Friday.gif

marine surge upper Low.gif
 Description:
This animation shows the winds from an upper low pressure at about 10,000 feet.
 Filesize:  1.74 MB
 Viewed:  16278 Time(s)

marine surge upper Low.gif

Last edited by windfind on Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

I'm curious if the Daily Briefing for Pt. Isabel is based on sensor expected readings or instead on what sailors might expect out on the water there? For example, is an allowance made for wind direction effect on sensor reliability? By that I mean what we would experience sailing vs. what the sensor experiences and reports.

For example, today's 7 AM update reads as follows:

East and North Bay: Berkeley WSW peaks around 20, but may fade fast. Pt. Isabel faint upper teens.

Depending on wind direction, the PI sensor can read "faint upper teens" (i.e. 16 mph from the south) while we are being blown off the water using 5.5 and 6.3 sails - exactly what happened this past Monday (you can see the graph drop each time the wind shifts to the south). Meanwhile, 20 avg at Berkeley/His Lords is barely 6.3 conditions.

Thanks, David
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

For most sites we try to forecast for the wind in the main sailing area.

The issue is that for most sites in the Bay Area the wind is much lighter at or near shore. So if we just forecast for the winds outside there would be days when you could not get to the forecast winds.

On those day we try to modify the forecast by compromising between the weak winds near shore and the stronger wind outside. Our reasoning is the most people are not going to complain if they find stronger wind than forecast but they do complain if they cannot even get to the forecast wind. Crissy is the best example of that situation.

I also try to add text below a sites wind graph to describe what might happen to the winds. Like "wind might fade after 4PM or "Forecast winds towards Brook's Island" or "Weak inside"

The sensor at Pt. Isabel has many issues and I have long wanted to put it out on the radio antenna pier that extends into the bay just south of the launch site. But there are lots of issues to resolve before we can do that.

Mike
windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Usually more wind out in the middle, vs. near launch or over in shadow of Brooks Island. Sometimes the wind "band" is even narrower, plus moving east or west (i.e. towards launch or towards Brooks). On the days when it is unexpectedly strong in middle those less windier ends/borders are more appreciated.
veterduet

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: marina bay launch Reply with quote

The last two days the wind has been really strong and on shore. Yesterday it even had an easterly slant. Maybe the City of Richmond will give you permission to mount a sensor on the rest room near the beach launch. It's opposite Brooks Island and about half-way between the dog park launch sensor and the Potrero sensor. I often look at both of those existing ones to get an idea of what's going on in the main sailing area, but it doesn't always help.
victor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go to windalert or ikite maps there are 3 public sensors at marina bay that aren't on iwindsurf.

one is back in the corner of the marina, another on a building next to the liberty ship that's docked across the way and another at pt. potrero.

with those and pt. isabel and potrero reach sensors you can get a better idea of what's happening at marina bay.
windfind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Victor.

Actually you can find all those sensors and more at the new iwindsurf.com:

http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#37.907,-122.361,14,1

Mike

ZZ18AB9FDE.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.64 KB
 Viewed:  16126 Time(s)

ZZ18AB9FDE.jpg

windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info - thanks.

The sensor at the dry docks just behind/north of the Brooks Jetty should be particularly helpful in evaluating what's actually happening in the middle of Marina Bay.

At the same time, I don't think trying to mount a sensor on the concrete restrooms just south of the Dog Shop would be a good idea - too shadowed by trees and too inland from sailing area (if that was the location being suggested). The existing PI sensor location at the Sewage Plant suffers from similar siting problems.

Also, there's a near-ideal, existing, and unused pole within the Clear Channel compound just to the south of the PI launch (photo below). Just need to make the location move happen.

David

PI Sensor Site Option.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.95 KB
 Viewed:  16114 Time(s)

PI Sensor Site Option.jpg

windsrf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, sorry. You meant the restrooms at Marina Bay launch, not at PI launch. That would definitely be good spot, but without as much equipment security as the Clear Channel location would provide.
SwellRipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:14 pm    Post subject: marine surge coast - Natural Bridges Reply with quote

Hi Mike, thanks for keeping wind-addled minds informed and entertained. I know on a marine surge Waddell and other nearby coast spots get shutdown on southerly winds. But what about Natural Bridges, if you had to guess, how often does it blow there under the SW wind marine surge scenario? Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: