myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What size gear for a beginner?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: What size gear for a beginner? Reply with quote

I took my first lesson today and had a blast. So I'm going to look into picking up some used gear. I'm 6' 1", 180 lbs and will windsurf mostly on the lake near my house. Most days it won't be that windy (maybe 8-10mph). I've been SUPing for a while so getting my balance on the board came naturally but handling and trimming the sail took more getting used to.

What range in board sizes would you recommend? What range in sails? Since I'd like to buy used, my selection may be limited.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you sail? Geography can help with craigslist and swaps. You could go old school with a long narrow board or new school with short and wide.

Short and wide is more stable uphauling the sail and walking around, but doesn't track as well as a long board in non-planing conditions. 8-10 mph are the non planing conditions you describe. The real fun starts in planing conditions, maybe around 13 or 14 mph depending on your weight, equipment and skills.

You will need at least a 72cm wide (preferably more) to be stable and probably around 130 liters (preferably more) to be comfortable to learn. Probably makes sense to go bigger depending on your learning curve. Listen to what others may say. There are beginner boards you will probably grow out of quick, but are nice for the first few days.

I would suggest more time on the water before buying anything. Again where do you have access to equipment? Before you buy anything check here to make sure it fits your current skills. Your skills can improve drastically in one day given the right conditions. There are freeride boards in the 130-150 liter range you can use to grow into. Sails need to match the wind you are comfortable in.

Hope this helps.
windward1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a board made for SUPping and sailing. Then you will have a second SUP for friends when there is not wind. I use an Angulo 10'-10" Sail-SUP (no longer made) and an Ezzy Cheetah 7.0 square meter sail for the conditions you describe as well as windier.

Another option is a Kona 1.

In mostly 8 to 10 mph winds you will only slog on a short wide board. Go long and you can enjoy the glide as well as plane. However, there is a rub, not all Sail-SUPs plane well. It is nice to have one that glides as well as planes.

When you have more experience you can go for a short, wide board for those really windy days. You will plane faster than the long board planes, but if you do not get those many of those kind of days, start with the long board.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with windward.

A long board with a dagger board will enable you to see a lot of the lake in the conditions that you describe. That will be fun as your skills progress.

If you could pick up a used Kona board, you would also have a board which will plane when you get stronger winds, say on a day when a storm comes through and you get winds of 15 - 25 mph.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The vast majority of the time I'll be going out on Jordan Lake in NC. I'd love to make trips to the Outer Banks too, but won't be able to often.

The board I used yesterday was 290 x 90cm (219L) and felt super stable. I think I would definitely feel ok going to to something smaller. I didn't put the dagger board in and had trouble regaining ground -- that's what I thought was most frustrating in the light winds.

Having something I can SUP would be a nice plus too. I currently have a 10'4" (31" wide) SUP and wouldn't mind going smaller. However, I don't need another SUP because I also have kayaks, inflatable row boats, rafts, etc that other people can use. Do the two and ones work as windsurfing or do they have to make sacrifices in terms of performance?

I do have access to some beginner club gear which I hope to use a few times. Supply is a bit limited and logistics wise, getting the gear is challenging. At the same time, I don't want to spend a bunch on something new, only to figure out I want something different a half season later. Here's one CL ad I found and was thinking the bigger board and a couple of the sails may be a cheap option just to get out on the water - http://raleigh.craigslist.org/spo/5087650006.html
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windward1 is right, and I want to emphasize this: size matters. At 8-12 mph, volume is your friend. You will have SO much more fun and learn SO much more on that 220 Liter board. You absolutely do not want any of those smaller boards, not even the Malibu, until you get planing winds ... consistent mid teens at LEAST.

Mike \m/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that stuff online pretty much looks like junk. If and I do mean if all the parts are there and you could get it all for free then maybe. If you really want to get into windsurfing on your lake, get a windsup. Get a sail no bigger than a 6.0. Your not going to plane in that wind range and a large sail really doesn't offer much. A small lite sail will teach you sail handling, balance and how to control the power. If you do get hooked, than a 6.0 sail can be the middle size in a sail quiver.. New windsurfing gear can be expensive. "good" used gear less so. Spending money on junk is a waste of hard earned cash. Get with the local windsurfers in your area. Most of them will be willing to help you out with gear, or maybe a swap meet. Bic makes a great 10'6 windsup that is very durable and planes pretty good. Kona is another good choice.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Windward1 is right, and I want to emphasize this: size matters. At 8-12 mph, volume is your friend. You will have SO much more fun and learn SO much more on that 220 Liter board. You absolutely do not want any of those smaller boards, not even the Malibu, until you get planing winds ... consistent mid teens at LEAST.

Mike \m/

Ok thanks, I'll keep an eye out for something larger.

I'm hoping more used stuff pops up. It seems like new SUP-Windsurfers are $1-$2k, plus the other gear, is a lot of cash upfront especially considering this area doesn't get a lot of wind.

Has anyone converted a SUP to a windsurfer? I'm guessing it's not the best idea for design and structural reasons so I probably won't have it done, but that would help me get started for a lot less $.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many windSUPs (SUPS designed and fitted for sails) on the market. SEARCH this forum on the term windSUP for discussions of them.

Unless several thousand dollars means absolutely nothing to you, buying new gear at this stage makes absolutely no sense.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakeSurf wrote:
Has anyone converted a SUP to a windsurfer? I'm guessing it's not the best idea for design and structural reasons so I probably won't have it done, but that would help me get started for a lot less $.

Yes, I converted my SUP to a Windsup. I would not suggest you do for a couple of reasons.

1. No center board so you have to know how to rail to get up wind. Not a great idea for beginners.

2. SUP's are far more fragile and as a beginner the nose becomes an inviting target.

3. It is unlikely to be a planing shape, more likely to be a surfing shape. Not very useful for a beginner on a small, light wind lake.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: