myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hatchery RV parking shaming
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philodog

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Hatchery RV parking shaming Reply with quote

If you really, really have to bring your 30 foot trailer to the Hatchery could you at least drop it at the fish hatchery parking lot so you don`t take up 3+ spaces? It`s summer, it`s hot and windy and it`s crowded. Your fellow windsurfers would appreciate it. Thank you.

CAM00966_640x480.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.29 KB
 Viewed:  25956 Time(s)

CAM00966_640x480.jpg

pablomerc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even worse, the people in an RV parked at the ES running a generator all day long while they sit inside with the doors and windows closed and the A/C running full blast. Total disregard for others. Anyone know how to kill a generator?
Bonehead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potatoe in the exhaust pipe
westender

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't blame them for wanting to comfortably enjoy their experience. This time of year I see things that bug the shit out of me. They will be gone soon enough and I really like some of them.
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys aren't very tollerate of other people enjoying themselves if it is different from how you do. RV's are VERY hot inside in hot weather without the AC on. If I had a RV there I would have the AC on too in 100 degree weather. Who knows maybe they have a pet, children, or elders traveling with them. Or maybe they just don't want to sit and sweat.

As to parking, as long as they are using the space for a vehicle, so be it. Spreading out picnic furniture in a parking space is another issue. People come from all over the place to visit. They all don't drive Subaru's. Worried about parking? Then get there earlier....

If that doesn't help then think of it from an economic POV. More people means more companies supporting the sport. Less people means less companies developing and making new gear....

And personally I am seeing far LESS people out sailing lately. Hopefully it's because summer is just starting for most.....
pablomerc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
You guys aren't very tollerate of other people enjoying themselves if it is different from how you do. RV's are VERY hot inside in hot weather without the AC on. If I had a RV there I would have the AC on too in 100 degree weather. Who knows maybe they have a pet, children, or elders traveling with them. Or maybe they just don't want to sit and sweat
Wrong. Easy for you to say - unless you're parked next to the guy running his gen all day. I'm all for tolerance but not at the expense of others. If someone wants to run the gen for hours to stay cool - fine so long as they park away from other people. It's downright inconsiderate to do otherwise. To not give that consideration is to say "I've got mine - screw you".
johnl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theunbob wrote:
johnl wrote:
You guys aren't very tollerate of other people enjoying themselves if it is different from how you do. RV's are VERY hot inside in hot weather without the AC on. If I had a RV there I would have the AC on too in 100 degree weather. Who knows maybe they have a pet, children, or elders traveling with them. Or maybe they just don't want to sit and sweat
Wrong. Easy for you to say - unless you're parked next to the guy running his gen all day. I'm all for tolerance but not at the expense of others. If someone wants to run the gen for hours to stay cool - fine so long as they park away from other people. It's downright inconsiderate to do otherwise. To not give that consideration is to say "I've got mine - screw you".

And where do they park away from others in a parking lot? Besides you should be on the water anyway....
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally don’t even notice a generator until it’s shut off and the ambient sound changes from its steady drone to a cacophony of all the other noises it was masking … wind, everyone yakking, kids, somebody else’s idea of “music”, etc. That’s especially true at night, when a generator masks the REALLY inconsiderate people who want to talk or even party while others try to sleep, and earplugs, in turn, cut the generator drone to a low, relaxing hum.

A big MoHo’s generator exhaust pointed directly into my minivan’s open side door from 18” away one hot and windy day. When he apologized, I just laughed and reminded him that he was there first and I chose to park there because the only other option was hundreds of feet further away from the action. The wind blew the exhaust away from me and drowned out much of the noise, I got a rare good parking place, and he kept his MoHo comfortable; win/win. I don’t expect a quiet environment at a busy, windy park IN THE DAYTIME.

What frosts my ass ten times more than that is people who usurp precious parking spaces with awnings, picnic tables, rugs, grilles, etc. That is absolutely inexcusable when parking is scarce and there’s lawn or other empty natural space nearby. Abuse of that has led to the Corps considering banning motor homes at Roosevelt, but many smaller vehicles take up more parking spaces with their stupid furniture than it takes to park a 30-foot MoHo.

My cure for my own generator noise and fumes, in others’ space or in my own RV, is the Genturi. It’s a commercially available smokestack that puts the fumes and much of the sound above rooftop level, mounts and comes down in one minute with no tools, weighs maybe three pounds, fits in a bag about the size of a 4.2 sailbag, and WORKS. Maybe folks bothered that much by gensets could masking-tape a Genturi ad to the MOHo’s window or door.

As for tight parking, the cure is earlier arrival. I don’t arrive at the Hatchery before dawn because I ENJOY leaving home at 4:15 AM if sleeping in Hood River or at 2:00 AM if from the Tri-Cities; I do it to make sure I have room to park and room to play ... early bird and all that.

As for putting public shame to good use in this manner, I’m all for it. It beats the heck out of alternatives involving the law, physical confrontation, tow trucks, property damage, etc. It doesn’t help with people who don’t agree that their behavior is piggish, but it’s a start. A CGWA meeting many years ago about illegal parking (it’s a federal offense for fire protection reasons) that got the entire Hatchery closed to the public made no progress because most of the board members thought calling a tow truck might embarrass the offender. Only their stares when I laughed out loud clued me in that they were SERIOUS. I quit the CGWA over that one.
TBird

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Philodog is spot on. It's not about windsurfers being "tollerate" (tolerant), it's about being a little considerate of others. It's busy, it's hot, it's a parking lot with limited space. Do you really need to bring an apartment to the windsurfing site? With a generator to run your AC and a comfy bed for naps? Why don't you just bring your items for windsurfing and go windsurfing? If you came to town in a giant RV with no other vehicle, then thoughtfully park it across the road and walk over with your gear. If you have elderly folks or kids in there, the Hatchery is probably a poor choice. (I doubt they think it's very much fun, either.) I think most people are quite tolerant and happy to share—as long as people are a wee bit reasonable. Smile
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a generator in my Ford Econoline. Should I have parked across the highway?

I've also had people give me a raft of crap about my running my little 2kW Honda portable ... INSIDE my van ... at noon to nuke a lunch on Labor Day Saturday in an overflow crowd full of screaming kids and stereos ... while they sat at picnic tables in the packed paved parking lot beside their 40 foot MH taking up six spaces PLUS their picnic tables forcing others to park down the highway.

I've parked out in the desert alone so I could run my AC on hot nights in an attempt to get at least SOME sleep where I wouldn't bother anyone. Some idiot parked next to me and whined about my generator. To him I say buy some GD earplugs and quitcherbitchin'.

I've also seen entire parking lots full of exhausted sailors kept awake way past midnight by rowdy partiers whose racket was violating the law (even normal conversation keeps people awake). The rangers told us the next day to call the county sheriff next time. Yessir; will do, if a personal request fails to solve the problem again.

But a genset at midday? Sounds like jealousy at work to me. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: