myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Viento Saturday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Viento Saturday Reply with quote

Did another camping trip with the family over the 4th weekend. We stayed at Viento again. Last time (Memorial day weekend) the sailing was not good (four me at least). I never managed to rig up the right gear. I don't know what it is, but I seem to have a problem figuring out what to rig at Viento.

This time I managed to hit it right. Friday was ok. At one point, in the afternoon the wind swung around to almost due North and I was sailing along almost parallel to the Oregon shore. Very strange.

Saturday Viento was pretty solid all day. Some people told me there was a lull in the middle of the afternoon, but that's when I took a break. The rest of the time I was on a 5.7 and a 105L Mistral Flow. It was fine, although after a while I'm sure I could have done even better with a 5.0 and a smaller board.

I hope this just the learning curve for me at that site, and it will only get better from here. My experience has been Viento is always blowing harder than the Hatch or definitely the event site. The water was unbelievably warm.

Spent the rest of the time biking and paddle boarding, practiced some volleyball with my daughter, went to a movie. A good weekend.

-Jim
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not crowded either. . . only three or four sailors to share the water with all day. A few more kiters, but they didn't stick around long - blasting downwind. And a steady stream of paddle boarders heading to HR.
starfish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds awesome. Great getting away from the crowds
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the secrets of Viento ( before becoming a HR resident I camped at Viento for a month during the summer for 13 plus years) is wind direction. When you walk down the path to the water after leaving the "grass area" if the wind hits you in the face turn around and go somewhere else. You want the wind coming down the river NOT with any Washington direction in it. Otherwise you get "the evil wind" or the "nuke and puke" (local names). Many of us have violated this rule in the past and ALWAYS regretted it. The ONLY exception is on a real hot summer day with no good wind anywhere and you just want to get wet.

Recommendations...

1. The area JUST below the launch is good for working on your planing jibes (careful of shallow rock and people just launching).

2. Do NOT be tempted to jibe around the channel tower. There is a rock shelf just to the west of it and and underwater stump just southeast. Both have ripped off fins.

3. With good direction sail upwind to "bird shit rock". Good flat water in the grass by the rock for planing jibe practice and good ramps for jumping 2/3 rds of the way to Washington. Also no crowds. Don't be tempted to go farther. The wind can be unreliable up there. When done blast back downwind.

I remember my "great" days there on one hand or maybe two hands. Great 5.9 session on a hot "no wind" day that seriously lasted for hours. And an awesome 4.2 day that lasted 3 sessions without a rerig. I didn't even want to come in... Most of the other times were just "good".

Summer routine. Get up, walk down to water and check wind. If it's on, walk back faster, eat a power bar and go sail till it wasn't good then eat. If the wind was not good, then pick some blackberries for breakfast and walk back to camp and figure where it was good. Normally late PM sessions are not any good. BUT one time I just pulled into camp after a 11 hour drive and had an awesome 4.2 session before setting up camp.....

Enjoy. 😎
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: