myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in Grand Cayman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenherman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Windsurfing in Grand Cayman Reply with quote

I will be in the Cayman Islands for two weeks in August
Is there any windsurfing going on there?
Are there any locals who windsurf, how would would I contact them?
Any information would be appreciated
markwk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sailed from Morritt's Tortuga Club (a.k.a. Red Sail Sports) on Jan. 1.
It was a very expensive outing. The boards were good, late-model Fanatics with NP rigs. The fins were however way too small and the windsurfing guy (WG) at the concession would not allow me to install a bigger fin. He claimed he was too busy to help me. There were a total
of 4 renters that day including me and my wife. WG was not a good
multi-tasker.

There are many obstructions in the water near shore and my wife hit a submerged cinder block, shearing the fin off of her board in the first 5 minutes. WG lost his cool at this and had words with my wife, which I did not appreciate. He calmed down a bit after I assured him I would pay for the fin.

After you get past the obstructions, it's a cool place to sail. Deep on the
inside and shallow as you approach the reef, which is about 300 yards
out. Lots of kiters, a handful of other windsurfers.

WARNING: While overall it's a mellow spot, there is a gap in the reef at the north end which I was not told about. The wind was light (10-15) and the current ran from south to north, flowing out through this gap. Sure enough, I got swept too close to the reef near this gap when I blew a jibe nearby. Thankfully the wind was straight onshore and I managed to waterstart and sail away from it without incident. From then on we remained far to the south of the launch and had a good time.

If you are looking for a VELA-like-quality concessionaire, this is not it. But it is a unique place and I might go back again on a return visit to GC. Maybe.

Even without the fin charge (about $175 for a stock Fanatic plastic fin with lots of dings), it was the most expensive place I've ever rented from.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I really liked about sailing there was going downwind/to the right as far as the reef allowed, watching the bottom through the air-clear water, and just letting go, jumping off, and diving to get a closer look at whatever piqued my interest. In one free dive the gear isn't going to blow away. Buried treasure? Shipwrecks? sights unseen by man? No. But after murky U.S. mainland lakes, it was a treat.

On a different note, don't overlook the serious snorkeling right near the airport if you want to wring out the last bit of fun there. I was still in damp board shorts when I checked in for my flight home.

If I had had the rental hassles you did, I'd have complained to the Morritt's management. The WS concession wasn't theirs, but it did lease its space from the inn and was under its influence.
dinger4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from two weeks in Grand Cayman. Went out to Morritts Resort/Tortuga divers/Red Sail sports on the east end and ended up with an older fanatic (133) and 2 sails (5.2 or 6.7) to choose from. Launch was rocky and current was crazy. Constantly pushing you into the dock. Did get out far enough to get the winds and had a good session but would not suggest this place. They claim to have a wide selection of current gear and they don't!!

Craig
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: