myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Forward Loop Help
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Forward Loop Help Reply with quote

In an attempt to refine my looping technique I put together this video from Rio this weekend.

https://vimeo.com/132896078

I am hoping for some feedback from people on this forum. Things that are obvious to me are:
1) Although I am thinking "Big, Small, Big". It seems that I am not getting very big at the take off. Some guys look like they are fully extended (legs, trunk and arms overhead) at the beginning of the loop. What I am doing is more like "Medium, small, small".
2) The rig does not seem to come very far forward or too windward, maybe this due to problem #1. Or perhaps it is because I am too "hiked-out" and backward on the board?
3) Obviously not rotating enough and landing pretty hard on my back.
4) Sometimes it seems like i am just flipping over the sail like a corkscrew, instead of the sail pulling me around.

Any suggestions for improvement would be appreciated.

8 + cameo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.28 KB
 Viewed:  20481 Time(s)

8 + cameo.jpg

kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought your first attempt (the one on port) looked the best. The mast/sail stays upwind longer as the loop gets initiated. you have more of a horizontal rotation, and I think if you had taken off a few more degrees downwind, you would have water started out.

For the attempts on starboard it looks like you diving forward and across the board with your lead shoulder giving you the corkscrew rotation. You can sheet out a little bit as you take off and are raking the mast to windward.... it's a subtle movement. you generally do not want to be hiked out when you take off (the way you would in a chop hop). You want to be much more upright similar to a freestyle pop.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
I thought your first attempt (the one on port) looked the best. The mast/sail stays upwind longer as the loop gets initiated. you have more of a horizontal rotation, and I think if you had taken off a few more degrees downwind, you would have water started out.

Thanks Kevin. I need to try more of them off the wind. How many degrees off the wind is optimal?

If I do try to do a forward off a ramp like the ones I am doing on starboard is there a trick to those? Maybe delaying the sheeting in so I turn down wind in the air? Seems like the Cameo is kind of doing that.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome commitment. Do you shove in your feet before going for it? They seem to come out often.

These look more like cheese forwards!

You need to send the mast forward as the nose goes up and scissor the board. The sail is launched forward then as it pulls you, tuck your rear foot under. Send the mast more into windward for a more sideways rotation.

When you are jumping the mast stays back then you throw your body forward and over the sail, that's why they are some cheese to them.

Congrats and you'll plane out of them in no time.

kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
kevinkan wrote:

Thanks Kevin. I need to try more of them off the wind. How many degrees off the wind is optimal?

If I do try to do a forward off a ramp like the ones I am doing on starboard is there a trick to those? Maybe delaying the sheeting in so I turn down wind in the air? Seems like the Cameo is kind of doing that.

there's no magic angle, but i learned them about 30 degrees off the wind. seems like somewhere between 10 and 30 degrees off the wind is good.

as i wrote before, I thought your first attempt (the one on port) was very good... a little tweak and you'd be water starting out. There's a port forward at the delta at the end of this video that kind of illustrates the downwind off the back of a swell loop and how much less technique is involved compared to an upwind takeoff from a big ramp.

https://vimeo.com/132014655 (at about 2:35)

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towards the end of that session the front strap clip had moved 90 deg making the strap looser so the front foot was coming out more than usual. Last season my feet were coming out all the time. This season I started using booties and my feet seem to stay in much better, my technique is probably better too.

Seems like the loops I have attempted off the wind have been very painful mostly because the board stayed glued to the water, I have been going steeper downwind though than 30 deg. Normally, if i tried one at rio in the same place as the one in the other video I would have attempted to loop going at a near right angle to the the wave. Usually results in significant reverse whiplash. Looks like he/you are near parallel to the wave[/quote]
rigitrite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed immediately that you're taking off upwind into the steepest part of the chop. This is tempting...but also extra-super difficult to complete. Kevin is 100% correct about taking off 30 deg. off the wind, which is the fastest point of sail. You should feel like you're completely wound out, ready to make the jump to hyper-space, and then find something....anything...to get the board out of the water and once you initiate it should whip around so crazy fast you'll be finished before you comprehend what actually just happened. The acme of skill is to be able to hunt down that elusive steep face that's just enough downwind that you can get some decent air and keep yourself pointing 30 deg off the wind.
There's some awesome video of Kevin on iwindsurf, showing precisely how this is done: his forwards are epic.

BTW, I was pretty impressed at how good your fowards are for taking off so far upwind: that's really hard to do!

manuel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your skills are strong enough to be able to redirect the board downwind.
Look at the downwind angle of the board on this one, it's neat to watch.

https://vimeo.com/125113592

Tyson gets over the board, and right as he crossed a piece of chop, he points the nose up and downwind.

LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a sweet looking video of Tyson. The nose really veers off just as he is taking off.
bonner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lucaro,
I was the cameo guy, and I saw your loops out there. You were really going for it, and they looked good, awesome! It was a tough day for looping even though it was 4.2 conditions. For me the ramps were few and far between and seemed to be mostly coming in at an angle that forced me straight into the wind, making them cheezy. I had to really bare off at the last moment to get around, which didn't always work. It was cool to have someone else out there going for it. Don't know if you saw my big thumbs up to you on the water after one of your big ones, hope you did!
Cheers,
Marc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: