myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fix marker 14
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfdog55

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Fix marker 14 Reply with quote

Hello fing Godsey
Please fix marker 14
Compitition on the river this weekend and we could use all the intel we can get
Also access sailors would like marker 12 replaced
JT
bmmiller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT,

We are investigating the issues at Sherman Marker 14. I'm guessing it's a comms issue, but I'm not the expert. Our sensor maintenance team is. Hopefully they'll have more news soon.

As for a sensor at M12, this was replaced by the sensor at M10 a few years ago because M12 had been demolished by a barge. I know M12 has been replaced, but it's unlikely that we'd have three sensors in such a short stretch. Is relocating M10 back to M12 a universally popular solution?

-Ben
surfskimd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely replacing m10 with m12 is the way to go. As you know, m10 and m14 often have wildly disparate readings, usually m10 reading 6 mph higher than m14.
The question then is always " if m10 which is a mile upwind from anywhere windsurfers can sail is 23, and m14 (basically the sign) is 16, do we make the trip out to Sherman, hoping that maybe there is usable wind at the access.
m12 answered this question for us. m10 leaves us completely in the dark. there is not enough wind downwind at the sign, but there is enough wind a mile upwind from the access (m10). Lets drive all the way to Sherman and hope and pray there is wind
Dave
bmmiller

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JT,

The Sherman M14 sensor is down due to a communications issue. I've confirmed this with our sensor maintenance team. They are working with the phone company to fix this issue. They expect to have the issue resolved before the weekend and hopefully sooner yet.

As for a relocation of the sensor, I'm by no means the decision-maker for this, but it would be good to know what the community as a whole has to say. Thanks!

-Ben
shahn1508

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M14 by the weekend? Come on, M14 has recently had its share of problems.

M12 would be much better than M10. At least when M14 goes down again, we will be able to get a better read on conditions at The Sign and Rio Viento by looking at M12.
richiesteele

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the community would like m14
radross

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't harsh on M10. Sailed up there on the ebb about two weeks ago based on reports that it has clean swell. Took maybe three tacks to get there from the Access. The wind seemed much more steady or less up and down than at the Access or the Sign, and I confirmed the swell was smooth and buttery. And, there was only one other sailor up there while maybe 20 or 30 sailors at the Access were bouncing of each other's wakes. I vote to keep M10.

Ross
izitwindy?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is history here folks....The sensor at M12 was there for a reason and it was where iwindsurf originally placed it. M10 went up as a temporary solution and ended up becoming permanent. I would bet that most of the community would prefer to have M12 back in service, including myself. It is more optimal for the access, regardless if you like sailing up river even to M7 and 8, which I do occasionally. M12 provided a better indication of what the access was going to be like....many times I have gone up based on readings at M10 and discovered that it was less windy at the access.

My vote is to return the sensor to M12...Its wireless, right? Can't be too difficult....
airwave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for Radross and a few others most sailors should avoid sailing up at M10 and M8 at all cost. It is not a good place for windsurfers to create lots of board wake. You'll mess up the ecosystem.
If you like sailing in straight, fast lines, it is not the place for you. If you have a breakdown it will be a long wait for the flood to take you back home. If the wind shuts down it will be the longest slog you will ever want to do.

Sailing in groups down in front of the kiddie pool is the place to be.

Since M12 is no longer working all you need to do is average M10 and M14 then review the wind direction for each spot. If there is SW at M14 and SW at M10 the average will work OK. If M10 has more W or heaven forbid NW then completely forget M14 and just rely on M10 readings.

If either are N just stay home or maybe go to the new launch off the jetty in Pittsburg and avoid the traffic and the bridge to Sherman. The Pittsburg Jetty launch will work on N, NW, W, WSW, SW and offers the some of the best swell on any part of the River.
surfskimd

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in response to radross comment that he had an enjoyable time 2 weeks ago on the ebb at M 10. The problem is not that there is not decent sailing there. I have sailed up there myself.
The problem is that you don't know how windy it is at the access based on the m10 readings, and that if it is only 16 at the access and/or it's flooding, you will never be able to make it up to m10.
M12 was a much better marker as it showed what the wind was where you sailed; not a mile upwind from the uppermost launch point, that you may not be able to work your way up to.
Not harshing on conditions at m10, just commenting that it doesn't help you to make the decision to drive out to Sherman like m12 did
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: