myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
BIC WindSUP 10'.6 vs. Exocet WindSUP 10'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject: BIC WindSUP 10'.6 vs. Exocet WindSUP 10' Reply with quote

I wanted to post this in case anyone is in the same quandary I was in about which board to get. I now have both boards, and honestly I probably started with the wrong board, so those reading can learn from my experience.

I initially bought the BIC because it was less money, I felt it was tougher if dropped or hit by a big wave, and I did not think I needed the foot straps. As I was not really sure if I would even like Windsurfing a WindSUP board, the BIC seemed liked the least risky choice.

Now that I have both I realize the Exocet can really move fast once you are in the foot straps, and I also realized it turns much easier than the BIC. It feels like a much smaller board the way it responds and goes, but like any big board, it is very stable, and it glides nicely.

So if you like blasting around sometimes in the foot straps, or you want to do a lot of turning on waves, I recommend the Exocet. If you are looking for a tough, durable board that is very stable and also very fun in the waves, you might think about the BIC.

One area the BIC wins is ease of carrying. The BIC has a built in perfectly balanced hand grip and is easy to carry with one arm, the Exocet you can carry it using the dagger board, but the balance is off so you need your other hand to keep it balanced. With the dagger board and foot straps and the construction of the board it feels a lot heavier than carrying the BIC.

I have a 130l Freeride board too which I used for years, and I prefer the WindSUP. In non-foot strap conditions the WindSUP has a great glide, it almost feels like planing but in slow motion. The large deck pad helps no matter where you need to put your feet. On the 130l Freeride if I am not in straps I have at least one foot off the deck pad, and I am normally slogging, not gliding. Also, these big boards catch the waves much easier, especially if you want to catch it early on when it is still a swell.

I am light at 155lbs., so depending on your weight you might consider the larger Exocet 11'8 which has a lot of great reviews on this website.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I Have a BIC 9'6"
That I installed a mast track on. I wonder if your impression would be the same with a smaller BIC.

ITS FUN TO RIDEand different from windsurfing.

Now you can take a pal

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Mgoetz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip.

I was curious what sail size you use with your WindSup and how well it planes. I bought a Kona One several years back to get more time on the water and it too, has a good glide but doesn't seem to offer much planing advantage over smaller boards, even with a 9.5. I'm close to 190 lbs.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the BIC I was never in the foot straps as there are none, so I really went from a fast glide to a really fast glide where I was not comfortable as I felt my feet might come off the board.

With the Exocet I am still figuring out my lowest wind speed to plane. At an average of 15mph I had a 6.5 Ezzy Cheetah sail and was blasting around fast in the straps, it felt as fast as a smaller board, but perhaps I was going slower, not sure, but the excitement was the same.

At an average of 12mph with an Ezzy 7.5 I am on and off a plane on the Exocet. Not really long enough to stay in the foot straps. I believe at 13mph average or higher with my 7.5 sail I will be planing fast in the straps, but have yet to test that.

The water I am in is very choppy, unless a breaking wave just rolled by, in which case the water is smooth and getting onto a plane is easier.

I think the Exocet might get me planing in the straps at about .5mph slower than my smaller board, so like you are experiencing, not much different for getting into the straps. However, I like the WindSUP fast glide when I am not in the straps, and I did not have that with the small board.

Also, I can get planing on a wave easier with the large board.

I am considering if I should try an 8.3 or 8.5 sail, I might find my marginal 12mph average wind is enough to be in the straps with the 8 or 8.5. However, my guess is lower than that and no sized sail will get me in the straps. Also, not sure if I need to be in the straps at 12mph or lower. Those days I have fun cruising around and enjoying the scenery without the adrenaline rush of being strapped in and going as fast as possible.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your intent is different than mine on the SUP.
I don't intend to plane, the board , my BIC , Ithink is not intended to, maybe your plane and mine are different.

To install foot straps is a easy enough task, actually the hardest part would be where to insert them.

My time on my SUP is when it's far to light to windsurf even on a Formula board.

The largest sail I would use, do use is a 6.0 on the BIC, OTHERS IF THEY USE A LARGER sail, be nice to hear their impressions.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I just realized I posted this in the Eastern and Central USA & Canada when it should have posted in the gear section. I am going to re-post in the correct place.
HobieWanKenobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
I don't intend to plane, the board , my BIC , Ithink is not intended to, maybe your plane and mine are different.

To install foot straps is a easy enough task, actually the hardest part would be where to insert them.

My time on my SUP is when it's far to light to windsurf even on a Formula board.

The largest sail I would use, do use is a 6.0 on the BIC, OTHERS IF THEY USE A LARGER sail, be nice to hear their impressions.

HobieWanKenobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 6.9 tiger on my Bic 10-6. Have never been in straps so I can't comment on what works better. All I can say is my 180lbs sticks to the thick EVA on the Bic when what I believe may be planning in 20+knots. Glad people are using sups and having fun!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: