myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
beginner intermediate board?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject: beginner intermediate board? Reply with quote

Does this seem reasonable as a beginner/intermediate board?
http://www.windspirit-direct.com/windsurfing/demo_used/display.cfm?pro_id=2164

or a:
http://2-rad.com/hifly-madd-138-twin-fin-2006-b-condition/

I'm looking for used gear to save money and something to progress on.
I've done a few lessons and have some books and videos.
85kg

Can't seem to find many carve or x-cite used?
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Exocet looks good. The HyFly is kinda old and a twin fin configuration on a freeride board would create too much drag IMO.
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adywind wrote:
The Exocet looks good. The HyFly is kinda old and a twin fin configuration on a freeride board would create too much drag IMO.

Would it be good enough as a beginner/intermediate board or would a 2014 Starboard Carve be better as it is wider?
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wider equals more stability when not planing and in transitions -especially tacking , also ability to carry bigger sails. ~140 L maybe a bit of a challenge initially for an early intermediate sailor of average weight, but will be more rewarding later and won't get boring too soon . It depends a lot on your weight and willingness to meet challenge and progress faster.
I've never had any one of those boards, so I can't compare them. Speaking only in general.
lturkevich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Too Much Drag??? Reply with quote

adywind wrote:

I have to disagee about the twin fin being "too much drag": I have an old Hifly Madd 135 w/ twin fins, and I LOVE the board. The twin fin makes the tail very smooth coming up onto a plane (tail not squirrelly at all) so it's easier to get in the back strap; you also can carry a much bigger sail without worrying about spinout (I've never spun out on my board using a 9.0). The twin fin also lets you sail in shallower waters.

There might be more drag than a single fin, but you can still go plenty fast on a plane when strapped in (first few times I got in the back strap I considered it "scary fast"). I don't think it's fair to say there is "too much drag" if the rider is not in a drag race with other riders, and in this case the original poster is an advancing beginner/intermediate.

The only real disadvantage is that you need to buy 2 fins at a time when building up your quiver. (Then again, the Madd is listed for $200 so you can afford a few extra fins).

IMHO it's a great "progress" board for the original poster, even if other more advanced riders think there is "too much drag" for them.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for the Hifly... Its a deal a 200 bucks if its in half way decent condition.
I have ridden that board and can tell you that at your level it will work just fine. The "drag" issue is not even an issue. These boards are plenty fast for your needs. In fact the twin fins set up is easier in several ways for a progressing windsurfer. Makes for much easier beach starts. Once up to speed it pointed to wind quite well. I couldn't make it spin out no matter what I did. Also of less importance right now is that turn pretty good for such a big board. One draw back would be if you sail in a weedy area. The cost of two weed fins would expensive. My experience with Hifly boards, and I have had several, is that they are very well made. I wish they still made boards.. Also looks at Tabou Rockets around the 135 size. Great boards. Hard to find used. Only buy the standard construction boards. The GT is a very heavy school board. The LTD is a fantastic board but on the fragile side for a newbie. Bic Techno 152 is also a good choice. A bit heavy but very durable, fast and easy to use....
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Go for the Hifly... Its a deal a 200 bucks if its in half way decent condition.
I have ridden that board and can tell you that at your level it will work just fine. The "drag" issue is not even an issue. These boards are plenty fast for your needs. In fact the twin fins set up is easier in several ways for a progressing windsurfer. Makes for much easier beach starts. Once up to speed it pointed to wind quite well. I couldn't make it spin out no matter what I did. Also of less importance right now is that turn pretty good for such a big board. One draw back would be if you sail in a weedy area. The cost of two weed fins would expensive. My experience with Hifly boards, and I have had several, is that they are very well made. I wish they still made boards.. Also looks at Tabou Rockets around the 135 size. Great boards. Hard to find used. Only buy the standard construction boards. The GT is a very heavy school board. The LTD is a fantastic board but on the fragile side for a newbie. Bic Techno 152 is also a good choice. A bit heavy but very durable, fast and easy to use....

Any recommendations for a sail rig to go with that?
I was thinking of a 6.5 sail and then maybe buying an 8 or 8.5 as well?
Start out with both or just 1?
The lake I intend to sail on might be 7 knots on a low day and up to around 15 knots and gusts on a really windy day.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much depends on your skill level and where you want to go with windsurfing.. That said, I would not go with anything bigger than a 6.5.
even better would be 5.8/6.0. Here are my thoughts. These are mid size sails. In some places a 6.0 or 6.5 would be the largest sail in a high wind quiver. In other places these would the smallest sails in a lite wind quiver.
if you go with a "mid" size sail, you can get a mast boom and base that will adjust to fit a large and smaller sail. This saves money. At your skill level and the wind range of your local spot ( gusts to 15mph) you are not likely to get up on a plane. It would take a highly
skilled rider with specialize gear to make that happen.. Your goal is to learn balance on your board, be able to control the power of the wind and basic skills like beach starts and using a harness. A very large sail is heavy hard to control and will make these skills more difficult to learn. Without adding any real benefit to your sailing. At the wind range of your spot you should consider a wind Sup or a Kona one. The Kona being the better choice. The retractable dagger board would be a big help getting back to where you started from. The board has great glide in very lite winds and will plane pretty good if you get enough wind. A board that you won't out grow anytime soon....
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS: No cambered sails for now....
qwertyjjj

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

138litre a bit wobbly to start with?
If does get higher than 15mph but you think a bigger sail in the future?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: