myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet WindSUP 10' cracked and taking in water
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

problems on forums are amplified. 2-5% warranty rates on all stuff coming from cobra factory. yet, somehow the perceptions are much exaggerated?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John. Perception is all in marketing nowadays. As an Exocet enthusiast I'm well aware that their two main SUP boards are, performance wise, a cut above the others as you so often point out, and demonstrate.

But, the percentage failure rate of Cobra boards which you quote, is for ALL the boards and brands they produce. The specific issue is the perceived failure rate of the Exocet SUP boards, which APPEARS (from this forum alone) to be somewhat higher than that figure.

You seem to 'have the ear' of Patrice at Exocet since you market his boards. Can you not persuade him to 'beef up' the construction of the two main boards in question, and end the worries of the many prospective buyers? Many seem to want to buy trhem, but seem to hesitate owing to the perceived problem with them.
sailaero

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the North American importer all Exocet warranty boards are run through us. Exocet had some issues with some Wind Sup boards around the Dagger board well. In some cases the laminate was two thin in this area. So far for 2015 I have seen this issue on only one board. It does happen to be the board in this thread. In 2013 and 2014 there were some other boards as well. Our warranty rate on the 11'8 and 10' Wind Sup has been higher then it should be at around 5%. The overall Exocet warranty rate is under 2%. Unfortunately more people report failures then triumphs. We have been importing Exocet since 1999 and overall their quality has been very good. All companies will have issues from time it is how you handle those issues that is most important.
Best Regards
Steve
Gottlieb
Exocet North America
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailaero wrote:
Unfortunately more people report failures then triumphs.

You're right. I owe the industry this one: In 35 years at this, and having owned at LEAST 60 boards plus countless masts, booms, bases, sails, harnesses, wetsuits, etc, I have almost never needed warranty service from any production manufacturer beyond a harness stitch here or a failed hourglass there. Even in those cases it was not so much a warranty claim as it was a successful "Please fix or replace this" request with no thought given by either party to when the purchase was made.

The one production exception was HPL's boom front ends which they beefed up but refused to repair or rebuild even within the warranty period.

The one custom exception was a local Gorge shop whose boards repeatedly lasted only a few sessions between total hull failures.

That's not bad for a self-policing industry.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windgood, I wouldn't let these issues so highly dramatized on the forum keep you from buying the board. Exocet seems to be coming thru on warranty claims without exception. So in the unlikely event it does develop a crack you will just get a new board. When this has happened it's a slowly developing crack, not at all likely to suddenly break in half way out to sea.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sailaero wrote:
As the North American importer all Exocet warranty boards are run through us. Exocet had some issues with some Wind Sup boards around the Dagger board well. In some cases the laminate was two thin in this area. So far for 2015 I have seen this issue on only one board. It does happen to be the board in this thread. In 2013 and 2014 there were some other boards as well. Our warranty rate on the 11'8 and 10' Wind Sup has been higher then it should be at around 5%. The overall Exocet warranty rate is under 2%. Unfortunately more people report failures then triumphs. We have been importing Exocet since 1999 and overall their quality has been very good. All companies will have issues from time it is how you handle those issues that is most important.
Best Regards
Steve
Gottlieb
Exocet North America

Hi Steve

Is the construction of the WindSups different from the original Exocet Kona's?
sailaero

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kona One boards and the Exocet Wind Sup AST are supposed to be the same construction. We have not had the problem around the dagger board on the Kona so there must be something that is slightly different. Cobra uses the AST construction for many brands. Overall AST has been really solid.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to let everyone know I received my new WindSUP 10' Bamboo Wood board today. As it ships from FL to HI it takes about a week in shipping, so the replacement was fast and efficient.

I had this new board out today, and it is awesome. I highly recommend it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: