myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
When you buy a board, check the vent plug
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my boards I write, "Vent Plug stupid!" On the hull bottom next to fin box. Can't miss it if you remove your fins each sail. Otherwise that goes right on the deck.

Learned that trick after watching Nevin Sayre write the same on each board after failing to close the vent. Good ideas often require surrender of one's ego.

isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
I think AHD had the Maui Force and the Power Wave

Down here in SF, a 50 degree swing is not uncommon, and the daily cycling from hot to cold and back again. Haven't been burned yet... knock on wood.

We used to leave for the lake with frost or snow on our boards, cross the Continental Divide, sail in water ranging from 75 to 90 degrees, and drive back home through blizzards. Never touched the vent plugs, never had a problem.

I also have some Power Waves. Excellent boards, but not as outright loose as the MFs.

Is your Mosier bud interested in selling his MF? If so, which size? (I won't ask the obvious question -- WHY? -- unless the answer is, "he wore it out". )
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
On my boards I write, "Vent Plug stupid!" On the hull bottom next to fin box. Can't miss it if you remove your fins each sail. Good ideas often require surrender of one's ego.

I don't remove my fins, but I do have a vent plug cache -- a Chinook two-bolt base -- on each board. Maybe I should write "Do not force the mastfoot into the base, idiot; there's a VENT PLUG in the way."

Nah ... "Vent Plug Stupid" takes up less space.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been delaying setting the board in the sun to vaporize the water because that will also disperse it, but maybe it's about that time. The vacuum pump water output has slowed considerably after pulling out maybe 15-20 teaspoonfuls in belly-up 24/7 operation for several days. I probably have little to lose now with upright solar heating plus vacuum to boost extraction from the vent, followed by a wick for the long haul between days of use.

If I thought it would really dry out the board, I would drill a small, easily repairable, hole at each end so vacuum at the vent hole could pull air through the entire core. I once did that with a wet board for months, however, and was still pulling some water out. Apparently EPS's affinity for water precludes complete dehydration, so it's probably not worth the hassle, as even a small amount of vapor can still delam a hot board.

That plan is all educated speculation. Can anyone shoot any of it down? If not, it goes back on the river soon to die doing what it loves doing.
ctuna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: I kind of have mixed feeling on the vent plug removal. Reply with quote

I kind of have mixed feelings on the vent plug removal.
The more times you mess with it the more times you can mess it
up . So I try to only remove it if its to hot or if it goes into storage
for the the Winter. One thing Eva the board Lady pointed out is if
you put your board in a bag with wet straps it like a sauna and the
the moisture can migrate from the straps to inside the board
with the vent plug open. Also if I am driving through fog with the board
racked but not bagged I will always have the plug in.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctuna wrote:
One thing Eva the board Lady pointed out is if
you put your board in a bag with wet straps it like a sauna and the
the moisture can migrate from the straps to inside the board
with the vent plug open.

I had forgotten that detail and the dilemma it presents. The last board I sail in a given trip gets bagged wet, yet this board now needs to be vented often. Potential solutions:
• Leave the bag unzipped; it's inside the van, thus won't flap.
• The van is white and its windows are rolled up only if the AC is on, thus the board won't get above ambient shade temp.
• Crack the vent screw juuuuuuust enough to bleed off excess pressure, giving any "sauna mist" very little incentive or opportunity to migrate.
• Replace the mechanical vent with a Gorertex vent (a lot of hassle for a board that's probably doomed anyway.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: