myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
converting SUP to windSUP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salty-skin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: converting SUP to windSUP Reply with quote

Hi
Some time ago I ran across a product online, a adhesive based mast foot to add to a SUP.

Hook and loop industrial adhesive sticks to board, with the adhesive down to the SUP, and the soft portion of the velcro on the SUP top surface. The hook side of the velcro was attached to the mast base.

I want to purchase one but haven't been able to relocate it. Has anyone else seen this, and if so, could you point me in the right direction to find it?

Thanks,
Anthony
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even find Velcro sandals I trust to stay hooked up in water, certainly not the Teva water sandals I tried years ago which fell off within 30 seconds of water exposure. It would take a small, shallow, fully accessible pond -- or extensive shallow water like Cape Hatteras -- to persuade me to try Velcroing a rig onto a deck, especially a deck not designed to carry that point load. And even then I would want written guarantees from NOAA that there would be no significant gusts or any chop while I was on the water. I'd also carry a paddle and be mentally prepared to ditch the rig if necessary. As long as you and your venue are amenable to those risks, sounds like a neat experiment, complicated by a hull and fin system not designed for that combination of aero- and hydro-dynamics.

I've got to wonder if you are thinking of the various ways to mount a sail on kayaks ... inverted triangles useful only for running straight downwind. Those involve extensive straps around the hull, and may work on an SUP, but don't assuage the concerns above.

Could you have seen this, made by Scotty?

If I wanted to try the idea out, I'd fabricate a deck panel from marine plywood to spread the load, mount a Chinook two-bolt mast base on it, duct tape it in place temporarily, check it out on the water, then glue on some Velcro if it worked. This would let you experiment not only with the idea but with mast placement and sail/board compatibility without messing up your deck.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the worst idea ever, the Velcro mast to board attachment is right up there.

9610169.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.07 KB
 Viewed:  22094 Time(s)

9610169.jpg

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if yur gonna fool around with "boats" n sails
ya better do it RIGHT
my buddy made his own boat AND sails
refused my offer on w/s sails - said they were too big and not functioning for his boat model
he says he is having the time of his life on the water
can't wait till we go out together - with me on the longboard Smile

salty-skin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

You all have me laughing - thanks!

in all seriousness, industrial velcro is much stronger than what you'd find on sandals. It could easily be designed to carry the loads for the sailing I am considering. This is my windsup, which I use in light winds, with a small sail (4.9), and I work on sail handling.

No planing, no jumping. Most of the load is simply downwards, which is pressing the velcro together. There are also quite a bit of side loads, which translates into shear forces on the velcro, again that's an excellent product to resist shear loads. I'd probably switch over to a mechanical uni, which would eliminate the peel loading which you'd experience with the sail in the water.

The only loads I'm concerned with is the load while uphauling and using the rail of the board to lift the sail out of the water, and loading from pushing the sail up while beachstarting, when you sometimes have water on the sail and push up hard to clear it. Both put a significant upwards force on the mast base, which might be a factor with a velcro base. However usually velcro is quite strong even in that instance, as long as you are not peeling it locally.

Anyone out there seen this product besides me?

All that said, maybe it didnt' work, which is why I cannot find it again. Sad
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, hard skin SUP, scrape off the EVA foam, sand it, lay a 3 patch's of 8 oz, around 14" x 8", epoxy resin, set the box atop, rope up the sides 3 strands, let set, go windsurfing on your sup.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are ,you are lucky you can't find it.

Router a hole in the SUP, using proper marine epoxy, with carbon and fiberglass, as support set a Chinook mast base.

See
BoardLADY.com
For all manner of tips

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you choose the correct fix, router the hole, you need to make sure you add and additional layer of at least 6 oz, double 4 oz is better, to a rectangle around 14" long, x 8" wide, to surround and enclose the joint between the deck and the mast box, to insure water tightness.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are many variations to install a mast track that will be sound.
RX you could use S Glass, carbon, Kevlar and combinations of each, with a suitable epoxy.

The hole should be large enough to accept the size track you desire to install plus enough room for the desired reinforcements, about 1/8 of a inch, 3/16 or so. There are several size mast tracks, I would use a Chinook without vent screw.

length like 13" and width 2 1/2", making a large hole will only increase weight, and need to be filled without any additional strength.

You will need also to determine/guess where to place the fore aft position of the track. This is easy peasy to install

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
salty-skin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My intention is to add this to an inflatable SUP. Not a rigid one.

Routing a hole might have adverse side effects....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: