myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Timing the Tabou 3S Purchase before Model Year Closeout
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lturkevich

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject: Timing the Tabou 3S Purchase before Model Year Closeout Reply with quote

I've been eyeing a Tabou 3S 106 for over a year now as the next progression after my Hifly Madd 135 for when the wind pipes up to 5.5 conditions. I'm used to sailing in 9.0 down to 6.5 conditions on the Madd in the flat waters of the OBX. I've rented and done fine in the past on a Kinetic Gladiator 115 for 5.5 conditions in the OBX (Madd 135 was a bit too bumpy for my 5.5). Comfortable in front and back footstraps, and comfortable with waterstarting once rig is set up (just need more time on water to get more confidence in rig recovery).

I passed on the 2014 3S because I didn't have a chance to demo it. 2015 model came along in August 2014 with a price bump.

Last fall I had the 2015 model (116L) for an afternoon (106 was already rented) but couldn't fairly test it because it was new-to-me nuclear conditions (way overpowered on 5.5), and couldn't get myself dialed in (i.e., seat harness + tired forearms = heavy feet in footstraps that kept me from staying on a plane).

Fast forward to today, comfortable in my new waist harness, and I was hoping to demo the 2015 3S 106 in mid August in the OBX and buy the board then, but I'm worried that by that time Tabou will announce the 2016 (with another price bump) and the 2015 model will no longer be available. (Tabou's FB page is already showing the 2016 Twister in Italy).

I know I can grow into the 3S 106, but I would like to demo one more time before dropping the $$$ (assuming there's a day or two of nice wind in August).

Any advice would be appreciated.

(BTW, I'm 185 lbs., sail at OBX on annual week-long vacations in Aug. and a weekend in Oct. or only a handful times a year locally in the Chesapeake, which gets really choppy when the wind gets to 20kts).
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your skill level comes into your decision. I have sailed the 106 and I own the 2014 96 as a medium wind board. I felt the 106 was to big for my needs. I'm 175 Lbs. and get on the 96 as soon it hits 20 mph and a 5.5. I have sailed it with a 6.5 but that's at the big size for that board. My lite wind board is the Rocket 115 so for me the right step down was the 96.
Been doing this for a very long time and have sailed tons of different boards.
I, like most of us old guys have back and knee problems. My 3s is my favorite board to sail these days. It is just a all around easy and fun ride. And super smooth with the tail cut outs and thick pads. Top end speed is very good for this type of board. Control is excellent. Haven't talked to anyone that does not love the board. Its rare to find one used.
There is no need to spend the extra money for the LTD construction. The CED is plenty lite and a bit more durable.. You can't go wrong with these boards. The best way to get your hands on one of these board is to contact Matt Pritchard direct. At Pritchard windsurfing. If you would like to talk to me, you can call at 805 219 0435. Takes me to long to type...Tony
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2015 96 liter 3S and love the board. I am 5 lbs lighter than you, and find that the best sails for the 96L is 5.2, 4.5 and 4.0 (haven't tried a 6.0). The board is a little big in 4.0 wind, but still works well - no reason for a smaller board for the rare 30mph wind days.

If the wind is 6.0 or 6.5, I am on my 105 liter HiFly Move (bump and jump). Before the 3S, I used the 5.2 and 4.5 sails on the HiFly, but I also have a very old Tiga 80 liter board that was pulled out for 4.0 wind. The 105 is a floater for me and won't sink in 0 wind. The CED is great - no real benefit for spending another $400.

I am guessing that that the 106 3S will be just as great as their current board.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject: tabou 3s Reply with quote

go see andy at wind n.c. and demo one when your on hatteras island in august Exclamation i was there in spring and he had en all the 3s,s in stock.
lturkevich

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:26 am    Post subject: Gotta Love Andy at Wind-NC! Reply with quote

Thanks, guys, for your very helpful comments, really appreciate it. Andy @ Wind-NC introduced me to the 3S last year. I found out yesterday afternoon that Andy was able to get the distributor to hold one until I had a chance to demo in Aug.

Tony, thanks for reaching out - I was going to call you and Matt if Wind-NC was unable to get the board.

Gotta love the level of service by Wind-NC and Pritchard Windsurfing.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you have your bases covered.

US10 and Andy are windsurf people, who like to take care of us.

The 3S , this year seems to tick a lot of the boxes.

I certainly hope the HiFly will remain in service , it's a classic

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Your skill level comes into your decision. ...

In more ways than one. Generally, only a picky expert can feel the differences between one year's board and the next, and those differences may or may not cater to one individual's needs and wants. This raises the significance of one's budget, as closeouts or very lightly used resales can save a thousand bucks.

Then there's the fact that virtually NO board is clearly unique; there are just too many great boards on the market designed by too many great shapers to believe that any one design is magic, especially at sub-expert levels. I'd widen my scope if cost or availability were a factor.

Not to mention that as our skills and knowledge evolve, so do our performance priorities. I talked myself into several new boards during my early WSing years, often gaining little but hype until I had tons of TOW under my belt.

Mike \m/
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could find a good used 2012/2014 in good shape that is the way I would go. Just inspect the board closely before you decide to buy. That said, if you can support your local shop, you should. The fact that you can demo a board before you buy is worth tons. They can help if you do have any problems with the board. While "no board is unique" each can have small differences. Sometimes its the small things that can make you love or hate a board. If you have demoed a board and have decide that its what you like than that's the one you should get. Its not worth a few 100 bucks savings to buy a board on someone's else opinion that you have not taken for a spin. The reason I like the 3s is the smooth ride, thick pads and ease of use. Someone else might say the smooth controlled ride is boring. We here can only give you our thoughts on the board we ride. However when you get only positive feed back about a given board and you can't find any used....... Just sayin...Lets us know how it all works out....
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend selling one:

http://ventura.craigslist.org/spo/5120934930.html
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there you go............. Scoop that sucker up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: