myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Is my board worth repariing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

retired (YAY!) = 180 days at 2hrs each (brief winter sessions) = 360hrs a year. 10-year old Cobra-built RFrench still going strong, albeit with a rebuilt deck between the straps (zero weight gain)
yes, Gerritt, those 2004 to 2008 RRDs were keepers: we had just come off the abject failure of selective reinforcements, and all brands across the board went with continuous reinforcements and more of them, erring if anything on the heavy side. Now, we are trending lighter again.
Sure, we have today the manufacturing technologies and materials to build light, bomb-proof boards: they would have a rigid PVC foam shell with bi-axial Carbon for strength and rigidity, a full deck veneer to protect this Carbon from impact - and in my book, they would have a hollow core, spending the 3 or 4lbs thus saved on making the boards more rigid and thereby reduce fatigue and increase the useful lifespan.
Alas, the demographics are maybe one hard-core rider of your caliber versus 500 or so weekend warriors who never come close to stressing their boards to near their design limits. So its cheaper to build to their needs, and somehow deal with the grumpy exception - you.
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject: board durability Reply with quote

Don't know if I'm qualified to talk about this but the best boards I've ever had for durability & design for bay area sailing anyway have been Mike's Labs.....they don't break....I'm not a wave sailor, but have had some really bad launches, full throttle, into the boards @ 225 lbs. and the boards held up way better than Starboard, F2 or Mistral...just a thought
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, he builds them right, and builds them to suit your sailing - but they are not indestructable: this one a wave board for a superb sailor who sails lots, year-round. It lasted 3 years, had a soft deck after 2 years, repaired by Mr Z, and a full bottom "delam" (really a core separation, as most "delams" are) after 3 years, "repaired" by injecting Gorilla Glue, which lasted 1 week

5898-5.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.62 KB
 Viewed:  14838 Time(s)

5898-5.JPG

swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike's Lab boards are the benchmark for high performance boards that are strong and very light. I bought my first one used in 1992, and I've bought 8 new ones from Mike since 1993. I still have them all. I'm still using a classic 8'10" Slalom from 1999, and it still weighs in at about 11.5-12lbs. The deck right in front of the rear straps softened and delaminated a bit, but Mike injected it with epoxy about 9 years ago and it's still going strong. It might be considered an old school relic, but it's super fast and comfortable to ride. Narrower, longer rocker boards like the 8'10" are still top flight in my book.

When it comes to boards made from EPS, it's the foam that the weak link. I had a talk with Mike some years back, and he said that different lots of material vary in weight and density, with the lightest being the most likely to weaken and delaminate after 4-6 years of good use. 2 of the 8, both my lightest MLs, had the softening and delam condition, but neither had the deck crack and leak.

MLs certainly aren't immune to dings and bashes, but I've never had one break and fail, or show any signs of it.
ERROR!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Highest Quality Reply with quote

Rob Mulder of Roberts Composites, Vancouver BC, makes an outstanding custom board.

2012 65L ROBERTS board.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  458.02 KB
 Viewed:  14802 Time(s)

2012 65L ROBERTS board.JPG

J64TWB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a big fan of your website Eva. Your work seems impeccable and I am very curious about your background and how you learned so much? Fortunately I haven’t needed any repairs yet and I doubt I have the skills for much, but I really like the idea of a DVD. It sounds like it could be a fun project! I think you would be successful selling and marketing them as a reference. There are millions of Windsurf, surf and SUP boards out there. I for one would like one. Hopefully you have a section for the novice like me who would just smear epoxy all over everything and call it a day.

Best,

F.
superkraut

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Frederick! I came to board repair from Naval Architecture and composite boatbuilding, and my Marine Surveyor's training helps a bunch in failure analyses. There is a blurb at http://www.boardlady.com/ancienthistory.htm
mikecole

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Santa Barbara crew are still mourning your retirement Eva...

I am intrigued by your thinking that we should dispense with the EPS core and build boards that are hollow. I agree! The other carbon toys I have are bikes and they are all hollow! A current road racing bike frame and fork weigh less than 4lbs and they are insanely durable. I know because I ride my trek madone over some roads that make the chop at Kanaha seems smooth. It's seems almost impossible that less than 4lbs of carbon and epoxy can take that kind of beating. I suppose the tooling and manufacturing are just to expensive when economy's of scale cannot be achieved.... Sad reality of our sport...

Mike
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: durability Reply with quote

Hollow boards have been very popular and successfully built by SIC Custom in Maui.....Mark Raapahorst has a good site where you can see his work from surfboards to SUPS. here is the link:
www.sicmauicustom.com
superkraut

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the clap on my shoulder, Mike!
hollow boards are certainly not my original idea!! Doyle built them ages ago, and Airinside is now building them in Tunesia on a larger scale than before. Alas, the general public still seems to deem EPS cores beneficial somehow, never mind that they are the most common cause of board failures...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: