myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Will this board do the job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Will this board do the job? Reply with quote

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/spo/5149903591.html
It looks like it's in a good condition and pretty cheap. I suppose it must have been popular 10-11 years ago? Is it any good for 5.8-5.2 very gusty lake conditions where my AtomIQ 110 is a bit big and the Kode 86 just doesn't work /because it's so gusty/. I would like to work on my Speed and Duck gybes on a board with a 3 footstrap setup, but the chances of affording a new board any time soon are worse then winning the lottery.
With its 61 cm width, narrow tail and soft rails it has got to be turny, no? No idea what I'm going to do with all this 264cm of length though. Simply put -would it be as much fun as a modern 100L FSW board?
albjur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ady. Too bad we didn't connect before Sunday. I'm the owner. I was on Lake Andrea on Sunday and I think I saw you there - at least someone sailing an IQ110. I would have been happy to bring the board with me so you could try it first hand. Let me know if you decide to head that way in the future..hopefully we will be lucky to have another windy session soon.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great board, wave rails, slalom rocker, lots of float, fast.
I've owned both 85 and 96 liter versions, capable of staying with real slalom gear yet can handle a bit of chop like FSW, but faster and more glide.
adywind

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

albjur wrote:
Hey Ady. Too bad we didn't connect before Sunday. I'm the owner. I was on Lake Andrea on Sunday and I think I saw you there - at least someone sailing an IQ110. I would have been happy to bring the board with me so you could try it first hand. Let me know if you decide to head that way in the future..hopefully we will be lucky to have another windy session soon.

Ha, that's so cool! That was me indeed! Close to couple of months now me and my wife decided to start spending our Sunday's together at this lake as the best compromise for both of us within an hour drive from home. So now I'm there almost every Sunday wind or no wind. I'll be glad to meet you too! I'm still not sure about your board, but exactly that Sun at Andrea convinced me that I really need a 90-100L board for this conditions. You may have seen my struggle with the 86L Kode and the 74.5cm wide AtomIQ felt a bit big especially with a 5.2 Ofcourse yours is 112, but I know from experience that those older narrow boards feel a lot smaller then they look.
PS: thanks zirtaeb
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great board but doesn't fit for your needs and what you already have. Your weight and skill level will affect your next choice of boards. I'm 170 lbs and have a lot of water time. I had the Atom 110 and found it big for my needs. A great all around user friendly board. When the Atom started to get big, I jumped on a Tabou 3S 96. Huge jump in ride and control at 6.0 to 4.7. Could carry a 6.5 but at that size the Atom was a better choice. Your Kode is a great board but needs steady wind in your stated wind range and conditions. There are a lot of modern 95 liter boards that should fit your needs. Here is what I like about the 3S. Most of all is a smooth ride. Thick pads and a narrow tail with cut outs really help. Planes early and turns great. Good top end speed for this type of board. Just big enough for me to uphaul if the wind dies. (not easy but doable). Easy to slog out to the wind line or back in if the wind dies. In gusty up and down winds, the float will allow you to stay on the board in the lulls. At speed the board doesn't get scary or out of control. The stock fin is only adequate. Power box allows you to use your freeride fins. Just one good choice of boards
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be on a big side for the sail range you're targeting, but it looks to me that Lake Andrea doesn't get too choppy and rough. Size down the fin a bit, and you should be perfect. 264cm or 8'8" isn't that long, and you might like how it rides. One of my favorite boards is an old 8'10" Mike's Lab. You have to remember, older stuff was top of the line during its day, and it could handle the conditions just as well as anything out today in that volume range. Like any design compromise, old or new boards have their pluses and minuses. I think that if you contrast the Atom with the Naish, I think that the latter will be more fun in rougher conditions given the much narrower width. Also, the Naish was a product that was designed specifically for supercross, which involved the performance of tricks, good speed and a lively on demand jibing ability.

I think you should buy the board.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this board is the answer to your quest.

I do wish that someone would purchase this as its a fine stick.

If it were near, I would alter the shape, less length, and make it it a 95liter

Perhaps move the straps and track, but that all is me.

I think it's too old, for your needs, but I LUV IT!

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's perfect!
200 bucks.
It's availible.
At 60 cm, it's 18 cm narrower than the Atom.
Fresh water doesn't float like salt water.
And gusty winds, you need float for the lulls.
Naish Supercross's have the thinnest tails of any board, and ride smaller than they are.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board itself is a nice one , it won't increase in value, it won't go down much more.

Put that aside and ask the original questions , but at this point take a ride on it, seems a logical step.

It you have a itch that a older style , long.... And narrow for today's 112liter, then go for it.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
adywind

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided against it. It's all yours guys. After all if I have to do with whatever even for my hobby instead of what I'd like just because I don't have the money -what a boring life it will be! And just check out this picture I took of the hangers in my garage: Starboard; Starboard; Starboard...and Naish?? You've got to be kidding me Laughing
I hope it sells fast now after all the publicity.

image.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  13700 Time(s)

image.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: