myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Onsite reports for Doug's Beach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Onsite reports for Doug's Beach Reply with quote

Hey, how come nobody posts an onsite report for Doug's? That would be really helpful, especially as Swell-Hatchery gets too crowded and mean. Thanks.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a guess here, but here are some possible reasons:
- you have to hike a long ways and dodge trains to get back to your car where most people leave their cell phones, or...
- It stinks and nobody every reports when it stinks, or...
- It's really good and who in his right mind would want to tell the hordes of people at the Hatch to come on down, or...
- The on-sight report format doesn't allow nuances in reporting, so what's the point anyway?
wmike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Onsite reports for Doug's Beach Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Hey, how come nobody posts an onsite report for Doug's? That would be really helpful, especially as Swell-Hatchery gets too crowded and mean. Thanks.

Easy to figure out if it is good just by looking at iWindsurf's Doug's and Rowena sensor. Hard to figure out how the parking is and that is what you probably want to know. Smile
dhanson928

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="scottwerden"]Just a guess here, but here are some possible reasons:
- you have to hike a long ways and dodge trains to get back to your car where most people leave their cell phones, or...
- It stinks and nobody every reports when it stinks, or...
- It's really good and who in his right mind would want to tell the hordes of people at the Hatch to come on down, or...
- The on-sight report format doesn't allow nuances in reporting, so what's the point anyway?[/quote

I go past Doug's, normally a couple of times each day,...often heading out from LyleLand to go sailing somewhere east...I rarely stop there to sail...but I can give you generic report right now that fits what I see there on almost every drive-by.....When it IS windy..."Smoke and chop, interspersed with glass" On a very few days, it CAN be good...if the direction and flow are "just right" I guess...but in over 20 yrs of living nearby...I haven't got that wired, what makes Doug's good.......sometimes, it just is...but seldom. This time of year, weeds are a big problem also..... When the Corridor shuts down, the Hatch yahoos show up with their baggage...One plus is kiters don't much ride there so they aren't in the mix.. I'd almost trade Doug's for Celilo....almost...
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Onsite reports for Doug's Beach Reply with quote

wmike wrote:

Easy to figure out if it is good just by looking at iWindsurf's Doug's and Rowena sensor. Hard to figure out how the parking is and that is what you probably want to know. Smile

The sensor tells you if there is wind nearby but that is it. There is almost zero relation between what the sensor says and whether it is any good. Doug's is a crap shoot, it can be really bad or really good.
philodog

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The generic onsite reports are worthless. The only thing they tell you that the sensor doesn`t is what the tide is doing. And I can figure that out by looking at the tide chart for Dougs.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the river is big enough for honest reporting. Especially as windsurfers now die-off or convert to kiting. Just head upwind for clean air! It's a great time to be a windsurfer! Except for the rare quality days at Swell/Hatchery, parking is now not much of a problem.

Yes, Doug's is an annoying gear-schlepp. And the starboard chop often annoys. However, I have been in huge (15'-20') swell there. I think it is worth an honest report, good or bad.

dhanson, I would appreciate a report before you drive away from the Doug's lot. I will report when I have my phone with me there.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that mean we can also expect reports from Cheap Beach?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elaborate. What's your point? Speak plainly.
knifeonwater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe in addition to on site reports we could also have on site back casts. "You should have been here yesterday". Oh man, it was so good an hour ago". "I sailed ___ today and it was so much better than where you went". "Too bad you have a job, a family, and/or a life". That way most people would get completely frustrated and quit windsurfing entirely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: