myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maryhill Loops Road?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Maryhill Loops Road? Reply with quote

I am going camping at Maryhill State Park this weekend and I was looking for stuff to do with the family. I found the "Maryhill Loops Road" which is apparently a twisty-turny steep paved road that can be used for bikes, longboards (ala "xtreme21girl"!), street luge, etc. I though it might be fun to ride bikes there.

Has anyone ridden this trail? Is it fun? Good scenery? How about the Deschutes River Trail? Any other suggestions for hikes/bikes/sightseeing, etc.? We probably have time for one or two non-windsurfing morning activities.

-Jim
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maryhill Stonehenge replica. Google it
uwindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top of the Maryhill Loops Road (MLR) is on Hwy 97. It is gated off with a "No Trespassing" sign. The top is gravel and not maintained (don't ask me how I know). The road then turns to smooth pavement and twists and turns down to Hwy 14. It was fun to ride a bike down it. You can ride up from the bottom without trespassing. There is a gate at the bottom which prohibits cars. Across Hwy 14 (to the south) is Stonehenge Dr. which takes you past a replica of Stonehenge and down to the Maryhill Hwy (the road to the Wall) with various fruit stands. Stonehenge Drive is much steeper than MLR.

Have fun exploring.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Maryhill Loops Road? Reply with quote

The Deschutes River trail is very family friendly. Start at Lava island Falls.
Watch for hikers on the trail.

-Craig

Jim.od3 wrote:
How about the Deschutes River Trail? Any other suggestions for hikes/bikes/sightseeing, etc.? We probably have time for one or two non-windsurfing morning activities.

-Jim
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely check out the Stonehenge replica. Also thinking about going up to the Goldendale Observatory friday night. I'll let the wife and kids decide whether to ride the Maryhill Loops Road (good exercise and fun downhill), or the Deschutes River Trail (easier and better scenery).
-Jim
johnl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely the stonhedge. Also there is a museum a few miles south on 14 that friends have said good things about. AND don't forget Maryhill winery, a mile or so past the museum. My favorite winery in the gorge and my favorite wine. Also have bocce ball courts there....
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maryhill museum is eclectic, to say the least. I have always liked the Columbia Gorge Discovery Center in The Dalles. Kind of a long drive from MH but a very interesting museum. I highly recommend the Goldendale observatory also.
jse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maryhill Museum is worth the visit if you're into that. A great San Francisco matron, Alma Spreckles was influential in building that museum, after her involvement in the Palace of the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco. I liked it because I had just finished her biography, but it is a beautiful museum, and a good way to spend a windless day.

Steve
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went up to the Maryhill loops road today to ride it on bikes. A BMW club had rented it and was conducting time trials out and back. It looked like a lot of fun, but we didn't get to ride. Maybe next time.
Stopped at the Stonehenge Memorial. So cool that Mr. Sam Hill had the inspiration and initiative to build it and all the other stuff in the area he helped develop.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that Museum too. Where else are you gonna see a Rodin sculpture in the
middle of rural desert Oregon.

-Craig

jse wrote:
Maryhill Museum is worth the visit if you're into that. A great San Francisco matron, Alma Spreckles was influential in building that museum, after her involvement in the Palace of the Legion of Honor Museum in San Francisco. I liked it because I had just finished her biography, but it is a beautiful museum, and a good way to spend a windless day.

Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: