myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Retirement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asked for or not, isobars uses you a bit for his opening, and then predictably goes on to including his "rules for the road" for the world out there. I'm sure that it's all entertaining, but I have to wonder why you find any interest in a guy that proudly wears blinders and pretends that so many of us don't exist.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should think it would be quite a culture shock to move from Maui to Hood River.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of a "Weather shock" I would think. I really love the HR culture and people, and though I haven't spent nearly as much time on Maui as in HR,
the outdoor recreational culture has a similar vibe. I think HR is friendlier
overall though.

-Craig

jpbassman wrote:
I should think it would be quite a culture shock to move from Maui to Hood River.
jp5

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
More of a "Weather shock" I would think. I really love the HR culture and people, and though I haven't spent nearly as much time on Maui as in HR,
the outdoor recreational culture has a similar vibe. I think HR is friendlier
overall though.

-Craig

jpbassman wrote:

Yup, both places have a laid back attitude but one you wear shorts and flip flops year round and the other jeans, uggs and flannels a good part of the year. I would love to retire somewhere around HR however the wife hates grey weather.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summers in HR and Winters on Maui. Sounds like the ticket to me!

-Craig

jpbassman wrote:
Yup, both places have a laid back attitude but one you wear shorts and flip flops year round and the other jeans, uggs and flannels a good part of the year. I would love to retire somewhere around HR however the wife hates grey weather.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Baker, et.al., have a better read on that than I do, but my first November on Maui was my last. I got so bored that I went home weeks early despite having all expenses paid.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This cloudy, drizzly, misting rain that descends upon the gorge in the winter for months? at a time, would the dividing line be about Rowena? The Dalles being in the clear? I have lived in this before in the Santa Cruz mountains where we got about 50" a year. We get about 80" a year here in Princeville. I like the rain but everyone has their limit, of course it only rained in California during a short winter and here in Princeville believe it or not it mostly rains at night and there is nearly always some sun mixed in every day. I look forward to skiing again, something I did many years ago but when you get a bit older and busy working a 5 hour drive each way is just too much.
joew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread mostly. Just got my Medicare card and intend to work for another year. Similar to BB, I'm a self employed Electrical Contractor. We bought a house in the Gorge 17 years ago, and spend about a month there every summer, my kids have spent every summer of their lives in the Gorge. I elected years ago to stay in Florida because we had an established business kids were in good schools, liked racing sailboats and windsurfing here when conditions were right. That said, really looking forward to getting out of here! Fear and Loathing for the most part describes the mindset, population density, overdevelopment and pervasive rude and selfish attitudes have worn me down. Time to move on. I plan to build a new place in HR, spend part of the year in Colorado where we have a small ski condo, and mix it up with some adventure travel, maybe get cruising sailboat down the line as time permits. Other than the usual sports injuries, been blessed with good health, very ready for the next chapter after 40 years of hard work!!
jp5

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You construction guys can just scale back and do side jobs for cash when you retire.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:
You construction guys can just scale back and do side jobs for cash when you retire.

Illegal and defrauding the system that has enabled a better lifestyle and standard of living. Never done it, never considered it, and never will.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: