myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rowena's Dead Grass
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeaTurtle

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Rowena's Dead Grass Reply with quote

We need to send emails or letters to the Oregon State Parks office about the dead grass at Rowena. Maybe with 100 emails or letters, they might consider doing something about it.

We have thousands of dollars $$$ of gear sitting in dirt because they did not water the grass this year. My sails are getting worn from laying in the dust. The dirt & dead grass in is my van, in my clothes, in my dog's coat. It's a horrible mess that we are all dealing with.

Please pass this around to anyone you know who may not read iwindsurf. I encourage you to please send your comments to the State.

We all pay fees to use the park and we want is green grass again.

Oregon Parks and Recreation Department
State Parks
725 Summer Street NE, Suite C
Salem, OR 97301

Email: park.info@state.or.us

web site states: "If you have a question about a specific state park, please include the park name in your letter or e-mail."
GarryW

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I checked we are in the middle of a drought and isn't Rowena technically in the desert?
Mulekick84

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been planning to contact the CGWA and see if they can get permission to spread grass seed this fall and restore the grass at Rowena and Doug's beach. It should fill in nicely over the rainy winter, if the State parks will allow us to do it.

Its certainly a bummer to have to rig in the dirt and more so to derig your wet sails.

We take many good times from the river and should always try to give back!

I will also send an email to the state. Thanks for the great idea, Seaturtle
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarryW wrote:
Last time I checked we are in the middle of a drought and isn't Rowena technically in the desert?

Isn't the lawn right next to a river full of water?
areysen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever tried sailing in the ocean? Lots of sand there, and lovely consistent winds and waves. Windsurfing and sand sometimes come hand in hand Very Happy
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped by Rooster Rock and filled out a complaint form to the Ore. state parks dept. a couple of weeks ago about the Rowena Park situation. The personal at the office said that the Governor of the State of Oregon had declared a state of drought and had ordered the State Parks dept. to quit watering the lawns in all the parks in the entire state. Even in areas that there is ample water such as along the Columbia River. Makes no sense to me......But top down regulations tend to have this effect.

Yes, please complain loud and long. Maybe some sense will prevail.

KMF
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just "taking water from the river" without a permit is illegal, maybe even a crime. If it weren't, the river would be called Columbia Creek, the Columbia Wetlands, or even the Lewis and Clark TRAIL ... literally.
wmike

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Just "taking water from the river" without a permit is illegal, maybe even a crime. If it weren't, the river would be called Columbia Creek, the Columbia Wetlands, or even the Lewis and Clark TRAIL ... literally.

And Mike speaks the truth here. The Corr of Engineers and The Indian nations and others would have to approve.

Last edited by wmike on Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
westender

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind the huge Rv's and parking. I know it's the tourists that are wearing out the grasses. Most places you'd be lucky to have old carpet scraps and gravel. I have nothing against green grass and lounge chairs though.
starfish

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject: Don't worry Reply with quote

Labor day is coming, the tourists will be leaving... Just counting the days. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: