myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rowena's Dead Grass
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least dirt is safe. One traveler years ago started to rig on the RR tracks outside of tunnel 1. We told him he couldn't do that and that's true. I was kidding about the tourists wearing out the grasses. My sails are usually dry when I come back to shore so the dirt isn't much of a problem and what do you expect with a dog?? A mess.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI it isn't just Oregon state parks. It seems Washington is the same (at least Maryhill). Although when I was there last it seems the camping area was getting water but not the day use area. Nothing says a picnic like sitting on dead grass.... 😎
westender

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grass is dormant, not dead.
dhanson928

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
Never mind the huge Rv's and parking. I know it's the tourists that are wearing out the grasses. Most places you'd be lucky to have old carpet scraps and gravel. I have nothing against green grass and lounge chairs though.

Green grass breeds lounge chairs...making it rather difficult and sometimes even confrontational when you are trying to get your rig and body into the river to go +sail+...remember that? What you go to the sailing site to DO?

I find it rather annoying when people park themselves and their chairs and kids and dump their
gear right the ____ in the way, compromising the only viable path to a launch...happens and I deal with it, but it IS kinda lame...
gronquist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarryW wrote:
Last time I checked we are in the middle of a drought and isn't Rowena technically in the desert?

Welcome to Oregornia. Now hiring lawn police!
surfersteve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we really need an official decree to realize the entire region is in a drought? Some people in the world have no fresh drinking water or drink water than others use for a toilet and bathing. Bring 1 or 2 OJ containers filled with water from home to wash off your feet. Otherwise, walk back to the river carrying your dirty sail. Wash it off, roll it up. Go home. Feel grateful.
stuartwatson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:00 pm    Post subject: alternative strategy Reply with quote

I get it, and share the hurt over lost green and dirty gear. But if we took water from the columbia, we'd have green grass and no water to sail on. Hmm? Everybody I sail with drinks beer, so maybe if we all followed my lead, we'd fix the problem. I've identified a square foot of dry ground as "mine" and pee my filtered PBR there, on the supposition that it will 1) prevent tourists from rigging there, and 2) foster new growth. So far, a bunch of pot plants have erupted there. Hmm? Could it be my bongwater diet? I mean, ahem, if I had one? I'm gonna sprinkle grass seed in the river during my next session, hoping that some of it might sprout and compete with the water weeds and algae and other stuff that reminds me of my morning smoothie. The one I don't make, or drink, because it reminds me of the "salad bowl" in the Columbia River. That way, when the river shrinks to almost nothing, we'll at least have a place out THERE to rig. For now, I'm blaming the coal trains and barges and people who don't know where to set their gear while taking a break to adjust their downhaul to match their asshaul. You gotta have a good blame game to compete.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of grass at Rowena has nothing to do with drought or tourists, but rather only the regional State Park management's DECISION's and FAILURE to manage the irrigation systems functionality. Systems are working in full at other State Parks not frequented by windsport enthusiasts. Their attitude is, and has been, "...the windsurfers will show no matter the conditions of the park so long that it is windy." I've overheard them say this.

So.... please consider SeaTurtle's request and make appeal to State Park management.

CU Sailin'

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what Stuart is trying so say, but he sez it funny, and that's good enough. Smile
hoodvista

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see how us having a crappy lawn at Rowena helps a thirsty person in India or Los Angeles for that matter. You sound like my mom when I was 10 telling me to eat my broccoli because there were starving people in China.

surfersteve wrote:
Some people in the world have no fresh drinking water or drink water than others use for a toilet and bathing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: